Author Topic: what I have learned today.  (Read 859306 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: what I have learned today.
« Reply #2525 on: 17 June, 2018, 09:41:56 pm »
Robin Williams collected bikes, and had a Ron Cooper track iron.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #2526 on: 17 June, 2018, 10:37:34 pm »
What is it, with Garmin and being picky about cables?  My Garmin sourced car nav unit is particularly picky about having the exact Garmin cable, instead of any other of the dozens of decent quality micro USB cables that litter this house.
Wombat

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2527 on: 17 June, 2018, 10:43:16 pm »
What is it, with Garmin and being picky about cables?  My Garmin sourced car nav unit is particularly picky about having the exact Garmin cable, instead of any other of the dozens of decent quality micro USB cables that litter this house.
Yes, we have that issue also.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2528 on: 18 June, 2018, 08:54:24 am »
That, according to a snippet in Nature, only 5.5% of people say thanks when someone does them a favour. Among one particular people, in S. America I think, nobody said thanks.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2529 on: 18 June, 2018, 09:00:34 am »
Yes, we have that issue also.
Same for TomTom car twatnavs.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #2530 on: 18 June, 2018, 09:03:24 am »
That you dont have to buy WD40 in the cans with the straws that always get lost. They sell it in 5 litre containers along with a mister bottle to decant it into. And its cheaper that way !
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #2531 on: 18 June, 2018, 09:09:15 am »
Pcolbeck.. who uses five litres of WD40? I have several cans bougth over the years, and I am sure they will form part of my legacy.
It is the one thing lurking at the back of shelves in any garage, that and 3 in 1 oil.

ps. Dont get me started on trigger packs, ie those bottles with the spray attachment. I completely agree with using one for WD40.
It is a CRYING SHAME that such finely engineered pieces of equipment, made using the worls oil supply, are used once then binned.
I saw in a supermarked once a concentrated little tube of kitchen cleaning fluid. Drop into a used trigger pack, fill with water, and voila. Such a good idea. But I never saw them much again. That idea both saved plastic and the stupidity of moving water by the lorryload across the country.

« Reply #2532 on: 18 June, 2018, 10:40:39 am »
It annoys me that eventually you end up with a can 1/4 full of oil and no propellent. 5 litres is about a lifetimes worth for most people I would guess. Not so much if your a garage or a keen armature mechanic.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #2533 on: 18 June, 2018, 10:43:03 am »
Ditto for 'Muc-Off' type stuff which I use lots.
I have three 25l drums and buy TFR in a 5l concentrate.
Tip this into one drum and fill with tap water.
Decant this into a second 50/50 and top up both with tap water.

Result is 50l of ready to use cleaning fluid which decants into trigger bottles. I buy another concentrate when the second drum is halfway down.

Costs less than 20 quid to make 50 litres, I'm sure you can do the maths...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2534 on: 18 June, 2018, 12:37:01 pm »
...Dont get me started on trigger packs, ie those bottles with the spray attachment. I completely agree with using one for WD40.
It is a CRYING SHAME that such finely engineered pieces of equipment, made using the worls oil supply, are used once then binned...

Plant spray.  I keep one full of water & detergent and another of plain water in the workshop.  Also have another of plain water next to the parrot's cage for when he gets stroppy.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #2535 on: 18 June, 2018, 04:45:39 pm »
I have learnt today that I am old enough to receive a 'Senior Discount' if booking at Center Parcs sur le continent*

Paradoxically my youngest son is still young enough for us to claim a 'Junior Discount' at the same place.

Of the two I think I would much prefer the latter. Do you think they'll let us have both?  ;D

*Dunno if it would apply in the UK. CP absolutely shaft families in the UK at school holiday time compared to European prices. Perhaps they're using UK business to subsidise Germany, Holland & Belgium. Very much like our train operators . . .
VELOMANCER

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2536 on: 18 June, 2018, 05:04:10 pm »
Might also be that UK schools tend to all have their holidays at the same time whereas some sur le continent countries stagger them.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2537 on: 18 June, 2018, 05:12:51 pm »
That when riding a time trial one has to have a top that covers ones shoulders, but when riding in a triathlon one can have bare shoulders.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #2538 on: 18 June, 2018, 05:21:16 pm »
Might also be that UK schools tend to all have their holidays at the same time whereas some sur le continent countries stagger them.

A while ago - think back to when the Euro was worth less than the Pound - I thought the same so, mainly because I could, I sat down with a laptop and compared prices on a week by week, month by month basis.

Whilst prices rose incrementally towards the Summer in Europe, there was no obvious spike and they were consistently lower in Euros than the UK in Sterling. When the UK was on school holidays, however, the parks over here were absolutely rinsing the punters.

It isn't that we think we're paying over the odds, we ARE.
VELOMANCER

« Reply #2539 on: 19 June, 2018, 01:18:55 am »

*English* schools tend to have their hols at much the same time, but *Scottish* ones are on a different schedule. (No idea about Wales or NI.)

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #2540 on: 19 June, 2018, 02:22:56 am »
CBD OIL, In capsules, seems to lessen the 22 1/2 year HELL OF PAIN that is my head a bit. In with the Opioids I'm feeling some, slight, hope.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2541 on: 19 June, 2018, 07:32:57 am »
I have learnt today that I am old enough to receive a 'Senior Discount' if booking at Center Parcs sur le continent*

There's one of their places in the Moselle, on a favourite route of mine: https://goo.gl/maps/T1YfhTpC1NF2

Doesn't look too alluring: https://goo.gl/maps/hvTDV618E482

« Reply #2542 on: 19 June, 2018, 07:38:16 am »
I have always had a hankering to visit Parc Asterix having passed it many times on the A1.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #2543 on: 19 June, 2018, 08:17:03 pm »
CBD OIL, In capsules, seems to lessen the 22 1/2 year HELL OF PAIN that is my head a bit. In with the Opioids I'm feeling some, slight, hope.

That's a bit of good news, can you vape it?
VELOMANCER

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #2544 on: 19 June, 2018, 11:39:13 pm »

That's a bit of good news, can you vape it?

Afraid not, oil in the atomisers ain't good. Capsules are small and easy to carry. Unfortunately, at the price, a £20.00 weekly bill is restrictive. I have hopes on the current wave of "Make this stuff available on prescription" shouting that seems to have hit the headlines today.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #2545 on: 22 June, 2018, 12:05:49 am »
The scientific name for twinflower is Linnaea borealis, because it was a favourite of Carl Linnaeus.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2546 on: 25 June, 2018, 12:15:25 pm »
Yesterday, in fact. That the Deltic engines in trains were a downrated version of an engine originally developed for motor torpedo boats. And many other facts about Deltics. Just some of the fascinating facts you pick up chatting to audaxers!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2547 on: 25 June, 2018, 12:24:46 pm »
Deltics - I knew that they were originally developed for the Navy. Didst not know were for MTBs.
OK train buffs - are there still any Deltic locomotives running in service on UK railways.
(Prepare for incoming!!!)

« Reply #2548 on: 25 June, 2018, 12:49:06 pm »
There are at least these two:-

http://royalscotsgrey.com/0/

http://thedps.co.uk/category/alycidon/

There are another four preserved, I believe.

Peter

« Reply #2549 on: 26 June, 2018, 02:18:56 pm »
That one of the uses of CO2 is in the slaughter of chickens and pigs. And Waitrose are restricting online purchases of frozen goods as they use dry ice to keep the deliveries cold (as I assume will all the other home delivery operators)
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)