Author Topic: what I have learned today.  (Read 860251 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: what I have learned today.
« Reply #2475 on: 08 May, 2018, 08:17:56 am »
How many letters?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #2476 on: 20 May, 2018, 09:06:10 pm »
That there used to be a golf course in Nant Ffrancon.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #2477 on: 20 May, 2018, 09:49:19 pm »
That there is a place in Wales called Nant Ffrancon . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2478 on: 20 May, 2018, 10:08:05 pm »
That Brian Blessed is 81.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/6323128/brian-blessed-farmers-c-word-badger-cull/

"who was dressed as a Tudor king"  ;D
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #2479 on: 21 May, 2018, 09:06:50 pm »

Given that I could not fathom how you'd get a golf course in that valley - mainly since with my geologist's hat on I was thinking about the top end near Ogwen Cottage, I had to look it up.

http://golfsmissinglinks.co.uk/index.php/wales-64/1066-nantffrancon-golf-club-llanberis-gwynedd

So, Efrogwr, you are absolutely right and the next time I'm passing through Bethesda, I'll be looking out for just where it might have been, whilst trying to recall which Bethesda pub it was in around 1973 (when I was an undergrad on field trips to the Snowdonia volcanics) that still gave you your change in £sd instead of that new-fangled decimal stuff.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #2480 on: 21 May, 2018, 11:20:34 pm »

Given that I could not fathom how you'd get a golf course in that valley - mainly since with my geologist's hat on I was thinking about the top end near Ogwen Cottage, I had to look it up.

http://golfsmissinglinks.co.uk/index.php/wales-64/1066-nantffrancon-golf-club-llanberis-gwynedd

So, Efrogwr, you are absolutely right and the next time I'm passing through Bethesda, I'll be looking out for just where it might have been, whilst trying to recall which Bethesda pub it was in around 1973 (when I was an undergrad on field trips to the Snowdonia volcanics) that still gave you your change in £sd instead of that new-fangled decimal stuff.
The Douglas Arms.  It was still doing it last time I was there, although I think they've given up now.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #2481 on: 22 May, 2018, 07:32:09 am »

The Douglas Arms.  It was still doing it last time I was there, although I think they've given up now.

Ah!  Thank you Tim. I had a minor worry that with the passage of anno domini my memory is not what I thought it was and that I was simply remembering an urban myth - but you've restored my faith in my recollections. Somebody else knows about it! 

I do recall that it was a bit of a shock, buying a pint with new money and getting the change in old.  Dunno how he managed to keep stocks of the old coins though.

I feel a day trip to Snowdonia coming on.......

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2482 on: 22 May, 2018, 11:06:54 am »
The missus is on a great campaign of book reorganisation, and apart from clouds of dust that sets yrs. trly. sneezing, has just turned up a slim volume that the Inlaw Paw received as a freebie for joining the Folio Soc about 25 years ago.

It's called Novocento, and turns out to be a French translation of the monologue by Alessandro Baricco on which the film The Legend of 1900 was based.

I never knew we had it.

« Reply #2483 on: 22 May, 2018, 10:05:01 pm »

Ah!  Thank you Tim. I had a minor worry that with the passage of anno domini my memory is not what I thought it was and that I was simply remembering an urban myth - but you've restored my faith in my recollections. Somebody else knows about it! 

I do recall that it was a bit of a shock, buying a pint with new money and getting the change in old.  Dunno how he managed to keep stocks of the old coins though.

I feel a day trip to Snowdonia coming on.......

I was at Ogwen Cottage on Sunday; Arwel Johnston ( son of Frank of tea shack fame) thinks that the golf course was near the Bethesda end of the valley. The clubhouse was at Tai Newyddion.

« Reply #2484 on: 27 May, 2018, 08:27:30 pm »
The blue coloured paint used by Record on their vices and planes is BS381C 110 Roundel Blue the same colour as the outer blue circle on WWII RAF roundels.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #2485 on: 28 May, 2018, 01:55:20 pm »
I was at Ogwen Cottage on Sunday; Arwel Johnston ( son of Frank of tea shack fame) thinks that the golf course was near the Bethesda end of the valley. The clubhouse was at Tai Newyddion.

Ah!  The Tea Shop!  Much missed.  I recall, as a young slip of a lad, getting from the top of Tryfan to the Tea Shop in 45 minutes, because it was going to close for the day and my climbing partner and I wanted a tea.  My legs have never recovered.  Indeed, it may be that descent is responsible for the rather chunky thighs I've always had for my rugby front row and rowing careers.  And why I'm slow on a bike...….

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2486 on: 28 May, 2018, 03:32:35 pm »
Strops don't just work on chisels & so forth, they work on supposedly disposable scalpel blades too.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2487 on: 29 May, 2018, 07:36:13 am »
Wilf Lunn is still with us

I remember Vision On from my dim and distant childhood, but had no idea he is only 6 years older than my dad
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #2488 on: 29 May, 2018, 01:57:18 pm »
That kaolin poutices now require a prescription.  ::-)
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #2489 on: 29 May, 2018, 06:02:49 pm »
Thanks to yesterday's 'Shed & Buried' marathon/binge, I discovered that Chater-Lea made motorcycle combinations for the AA. I'm sure the programme stated that Sturmey-Archer made the gearboxes but I'd consumed some 'refreshment' and TBH I'm not certain.

The story went they completed the order and promptly went bust.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2490 on: 29 May, 2018, 06:12:54 pm »
Sturmey-Archer certainly did make motorcycle gearboxen back in Olden Times.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2491 on: 03 June, 2018, 09:54:25 am »
You need a prescription for 5% sodium chloride eye drops (hypertonic, used for Fuch's dystrophy).
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2492 on: 03 June, 2018, 09:58:57 am »
You need a prescription for 5% sodium chloride eye drops (hypertonic, used for Fuch's dystrophy).
But OTOH, a couple of days ago Mrs Cudzo sent Cudzo Jnr to get her some ibuprofen, she'd bruised a muscle or something. "They won't let me buy that," he says, "you have to be over 18." I had a feeling that might be correct, but also felt that it was no disaster if I had to go out and get it later and it was good to send him out anyway. But they did sell it him, so there aren't age limits on that.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2493 on: 03 June, 2018, 12:52:13 pm »
Today has been declared the first annual World Bicycle Day by the United Nations.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

ian

« Reply #2494 on: 03 June, 2018, 05:05:00 pm »
Walgreens just sold me a 1000 ibuprofen tablets. I’m think I’m covered for the next few headaches.

« Reply #2495 on: 03 June, 2018, 05:42:14 pm »

At least that uses purified water (even if it’s unnecessary for eyes). Kaolin is China clay paste AFAIK.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #2496 on: 03 June, 2018, 06:03:01 pm »
The blue coloured paint used by Record on their vices and planes is BS381C 110 Roundel Blue the same colour as the outer blue circle on WWII RAF roundels.

Pcolbeck, Thank you! 

I have a nice recent Record vice that I'd like to keep decent, but I've been given an old gigantic one, which I'd like to refurbish and repaint, when I've got my workshop built.  It currently has an insufficiently flat floor (Why does latex self levelling screed "go off" so quickly?), and 3 and a half walls, so we're getting there.
Wombat

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #2497 on: 03 June, 2018, 06:30:37 pm »
Kaolin is China clay paste AFAIK.

It is indeed.  Kaolini(ite) is a clay mineral, resulting from the decomposition of the feldspars in the granite intrusions in Cornwall. There are quite a few other clay minerals (e.g. Bentonite, Montmorillonite, Illite, etc....) all with slightly different chemistries and properties.  Think of clays as layer cakes, with two silicate layers separated by some ions bonded to the silicates.  Bentonite is a derivative of volcanic ash and was named after the Fort Benton area of Wyoming and is widely used as a drilling mud in the oil and ground engineering industries.  They all have differing abilities to 'suck' in (adsorb) other ions into the ionic layer, and that's what gives Kaolinite its medical (or pottery) uses.  Useful things, clays.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2498 on: 03 June, 2018, 06:59:05 pm »
bentonite is also used as a fining agent in beer and wine manufacturing
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2499 on: 03 June, 2018, 07:04:46 pm »