Linked Events

• Upper Thames: 06 November, 2010

Author Topic: Upper Thames 5th November 2022  (Read 105843 times)

Upper Thames 5th November 2022
« on: 21 May, 2010, 06:44:19 am »
Still a while off, but just hit the calendar.  The route is the same as previous years, but the start point is different, at Cholsey (which was formerly one of the info controls).  Cholsey has a station on the Paddington - Reading - Oxford line, and Didcot is 9k away for faster trains out of Paddington.

The benefit of starting at Cholsey is that final big hill (usually done in the dark) is now just a few k in from the start.  It's a nice bit of countryside that I'm sure you will enjoy in the daylight (especially in the first light, if the weather's OK).  There will only be two main controls, evenly spaced at 70k intervals, with the Milton control (which was never satisfactory from a controllers point of view) dropped.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
Re: Upper Thames 6th Nov 2010
« Reply #1 on: 21 May, 2010, 08:25:04 am »
Didcot is becoming the New Alresford!

Jules

• Has dropped his aitch!
« Reply #2 on: 21 May, 2010, 09:38:10 am »
Didcot is becoming the New Alresford!

ITYM

Didcot is becoming the new New Alresford?
Audax on the other hand is almost invisible and thought to be the pastime of Hobbits ....  Fab Foodie

« Reply #3 on: 21 May, 2010, 10:15:31 am »
Hope to be doing this.  It was a great end to the audax year in 2009.  The new start is easier to get to by rail for me also which is an added incentive..
The sound of one pannier flapping

Martin

« Reply #4 on: 21 May, 2010, 10:16:38 am »
I like it

can you book a table at the Curry House at the finish?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #5 on: 21 May, 2010, 10:25:50 am »
(I've heard good things about that restaurant.) This is a lot better for me, too! (almost) flat ride to/from start.

Will the controls be Waterperry and Chipping?

Riders should note that there will be plenty of provisioning potential on the final leg (unless Phil routes it very bizarrely!).

[For those not in the know, Didcot, Cholsey and Arlesford all have steam trains. But Arlesford probably edges it by virtue of the nice public access cafe. Sadly no steam trains  run between the 3 stations.]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Martin

« Reply #6 on: 21 May, 2010, 10:29:01 am »
correction;

Alresford (not New Alresford, the New bit grew after the station was opened) has steam trains

the other two have abominations built by the GWR  ;)

« Reply #7 on: 21 May, 2010, 11:59:38 am »
I like it

can you book a table at the Curry House at the finish?
Is that a comment on Mrs D's pasta?   ;D

« Reply #8 on: 23 May, 2010, 08:01:48 am »
Now booked into my calander,  I want to be there, as I like this ride.

Geoff
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

« Reply #9 on: 29 June, 2010, 10:02:22 am »
Mmm sounds tempting, could be my first ever 200km plus ride. It'll go right past my house by the looks of it as we'll hopefully have moved to Stanford by then. I may be there.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #10 on: 29 June, 2010, 10:43:23 am »
Yes I'll be there again, It was my 1st 200 audax and this will be my 4th time doing it  :thumbsup:
Just got to look at a route to ECE it now if all works out ok.

« Reply #11 on: 29 June, 2010, 11:43:26 am »
Yes I'll be there again, It was my 1st 200 audax and this will be my 4th time doing it  :thumbsup:
Just got to look at a route to ECE it now if all works out ok.
First formal entry (lots of expressions of intent!).  Thanks Rich.  Will be mailing "paperwork" nearer the event, but please take this as acknowledgement.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #12 on: 29 June, 2010, 12:42:08 pm »
This might be a good way of getting back into getting points. Plus I used to live in Cholsey.   :thumbsup:

(mattc: The steam train is further away from the village than the sewage works  ;D )
It is simpler than it looks.

francisbarton

• Francis
  • I've only got one bike, and it's only got one gear
« Reply #13 on: 29 June, 2010, 03:13:36 pm »
Considering this! Will see how the next few months go.

« Reply #14 on: 03 July, 2010, 08:44:00 am »
Just done it...entered online. This will be my longest ride ever. Previous was 122 miles about 12 years ago.   :'(

Euan Uzami

« Reply #15 on: 03 July, 2010, 04:33:41 pm »
yep, I enjoyed it last year (good turnout as well) so will be doing it again.

« Reply #16 on: 04 July, 2010, 10:18:30 am »
A few days after my birthday and a fitting start to my 50th year!

I wonder what I'll forget to bring this time.

Huzzah!

AndyH

« Reply #17 on: 04 July, 2010, 01:11:09 pm »
It was a great end to the audax year in 2009. 

Alternatively it could be a great start to a RRTY. I think this is an expression of intent.

« Reply #18 on: 04 July, 2010, 08:46:16 pm »
Still a while off, but just hit the calendar.  The route is the same as previous years, but the start point is different, at Cholsey (which was formerly one of the info controls).  Cholsey has a station on the Paddington - Reading - Oxford line, and Didcot is 9k away for faster trains out of Paddington.

The benefit of starting at Cholsey is that final big hill (usually done in the dark) is now just a few k in from the start.  It's a nice bit of countryside that I'm sure you will enjoy in the daylight (especially in the first light, if the weather's OK).  There will only be two main controls, evenly spaced at 70k intervals, with the Milton control (which was never satisfactory from a controllers point of view) dropped.
Phil - I have just tried to enter on-line and when I hit the PayPal button I get this message:

"You have requested an outdated version of PayPal. This error often results from the use of bookmarks"

Not being cyber-cute, I have no idea whether this is down to something at my end or what. I see someone else has entered on-line, I assume without problems. Any suggestions? (Apart from snail mail.)

Euan Uzami

« Reply #19 on: 04 July, 2010, 08:56:53 pm »
Still a while off, but just hit the calendar.  The route is the same as previous years, but the start point is different, at Cholsey (which was formerly one of the info controls).  Cholsey has a station on the Paddington - Reading - Oxford line, and Didcot is 9k away for faster trains out of Paddington.

The benefit of starting at Cholsey is that final big hill (usually done in the dark) is now just a few k in from the start.  It's a nice bit of countryside that I'm sure you will enjoy in the daylight (especially in the first light, if the weather's OK).  There will only be two main controls, evenly spaced at 70k intervals, with the Milton control (which was never satisfactory from a controllers point of view) dropped.
Phil - I have just tried to enter on-line and when I hit the PayPal button I get this message:

"You have requested an outdated version of PayPal. This error often results from the use of bookmarks"

Not being cyber-cute, I have no idea whether this is down to something at my end or what. I see someone else has entered on-line, I assume without problems. Any suggestions? (Apart from snail mail.)

online entry worked fine for me so probably something your end...(I even remembered that thing about returning to the auk page ;))
in fact the paypal screen came up as soon as I clicked 'click here for your personal entry form' from the event page, there was no auto-filled-in print-off-able form like there often is?
try clearing your cache or if you use chrome start up an incognito mode tab (ctrl shift N) and try it in that.
failing that try another browser?

« Reply #20 on: 05 July, 2010, 06:40:26 am »
It was a great end to the audax year in 2009. 

Alternatively it could be a great start to a RRTY. I think this is an expression of intent.

Careful.

Audax is addictive enough without  RRTY

Good Morning my name is Geoff and I am a confirmed addict.   ;D
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #21 on: 05 July, 2010, 09:29:35 am »
online entry worked fine for me so probably something your end...(I even remembered that thing about returning to the auk page ;))

Have a pat on the back. About 2-out-of-5 of online entrants to my July event have failed to do this!

(I'm only posting this so more of Phil's entries do it right :)  )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Euan Uzami

« Reply #22 on: 05 July, 2010, 10:39:01 am »

Have a pat on the back. About 2-out-of-5 of online entrants to my July event have failed to do this!

(I'm only posting this so more of Phil's entries do it right :)  )

(i only knew to do it because phil said at the last upper thames that lots of people didn't do it and it means he didn't get an email saying that they've paid) ;)

« Reply #23 on: 05 July, 2010, 10:55:15 am »
Tried the on-line thingy again this morning - all worked OK as normal, no problem.

(Oh. I suppose I'll have to ride it now. In November. Confound this on-line entry system - too easy!)

« Reply #24 on: 10 July, 2010, 04:39:38 pm »
Just back from a few days away, and find I have a few on-line entries (and two snail-mail).  Not analysed the entries at all yet, but it would appear that one of them failed to "return to AUK site".  I still get the PayPal message, it just doesn't update the start list.

Riding the route tomorrow.