Linked Events

• Upper Thames: 06 November, 2010

Author Topic: Upper Thames 5th November 2022  (Read 105846 times)

Re: Upper Thames 6th Nov 2010
« Reply #25 on: 12 July, 2010, 11:58:19 am »
Colud well be the start of a new RRTY for me, so will seriously consider this one.  Not ridden it before either.

« Reply #26 on: 12 July, 2010, 09:03:25 pm »
I will be there

One disadvantage of the new start location is that for a few years I used to see a Barn Owl just after Stanford in the Vale, my guess is that it will now be to dark for me to see it.

Cheers

Geoff
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #27 on: 11 September, 2010, 06:21:21 pm »
Entered on-line.  :thumbsup:
It is simpler than it looks.

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #28 on: 11 September, 2010, 07:51:01 pm »
Entered on-line! thanks to marmitegeoff who is giving me a lift  :thumbsup:
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

AndyH

« Reply #29 on: 11 September, 2010, 11:20:25 pm »
It was a great end to the audax year in 2009. 

Alternatively it could be a great start to a RRTY. I think this is an expression of intent.

Intent turned into online entry.

Martin

« Reply #30 on: 11 September, 2010, 11:47:33 pm »
It was a great end to the audax year in 2009.

Alternatively it could be a great start to a RRTY. I think this is an expression of intent.

Intent turned into online entry.

they ought to ban this all night Paypal entry; it encourages binge riding...

(have to go and check my paypal account to check I have entered; and how many times)

« Reply #31 on: 13 September, 2010, 06:23:41 am »
I am now in as I have promised a lift to Fungus.

Goeff
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

« Reply #32 on: 08 October, 2010, 08:33:20 pm »
Entries going well - 41 to date, with about 15 of those identifiably yACF.  So lots of company on this popular event.

Four weeks to go.

I'll start sending out the routesheet next week.  On-line entries will obviously be by email; paper entries will get a confirming email, and can have details by email if they wish, though as the Post Office is performing properly this year these will get paper routesheets in the usual way

« Reply #33 on: 08 October, 2010, 09:27:32 pm »
42   ;D
"There are proven ways; play on the certain knowledge of their superiority, the mystique of secret covenant, the esprit of shared suffering"

Martin

« Reply #34 on: 10 October, 2010, 05:10:46 pm »
sooo looking forward to this; especially doing Quiet Lane very early in the ride (and in daylight);

can't remember many hills after Chipping Norton, are there any? (thinking of bringing The Dog as CBA to mend my clown bike before it)

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #35 on: 10 October, 2010, 05:23:53 pm »
I think "Quiet Lane" is a label that's been applied to a number of minor roads in that area -- I've seen a few signs.  Nevertheless, everyone who's done this ride -- and probably some who haven't -- know exactly what you're talking about  :)

I remember a bit of rollingness in the few miles after CN, but nothing dramatic, and then flattening out until the very end.

Edit: just to add, I'm one of the 41 42 many, and am very much looking forward to riding it again.
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

« Reply #36 on: 15 October, 2010, 05:25:16 pm »
I entered on line and am looking forward to it!

« Reply #37 on: 15 October, 2010, 08:40:27 pm »

Entry on-line is so easy, isn't it?

I'll be emailing the routesheets this weekend to on-line entrants.  All the paper entries I've had so far have been sent.

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #38 on: 15 October, 2010, 08:47:27 pm »

Entry on-line is so easy, isn't it?

I'll be emailing the routesheets this weekend to on-line entrants.  All the paper entries I've had so far have been sent.

Too easy sometimes, especially John Hamilton's rather hilly 400 & 600 rides  :o
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

« Reply #39 on: 18 October, 2010, 06:49:21 pm »
Well I'm in for this as well - really looking forward to it

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #40 on: 18 October, 2010, 06:55:44 pm »

Did the sheets go out, as I didn't get one.

No hurry, that will happen on the 5th at about 5pm.  ;D

« Reply #41 on: 18 October, 2010, 09:50:46 pm »

Did the sheets go out, as I didn't get one.

No hurry, that will happen on the 5th at about 5pm.  ;D
Sorry, no.  Except for riders who have entered in the last three days they have just (about 10 minutes ago) left my PC.  I will do the next batch later this week - I shall be using them as part of a training exercise for another organiser in the use of the on-line entry system.  I think we're up to 60 now.

« Reply #42 on: 18 October, 2010, 10:52:01 pm »
Pondering this one. What's the general hardness rating?

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #43 on: 18 October, 2010, 10:57:07 pm »

I'd say not too high, particularly if Phil has remembered to order another beautiful day like we had last year.  It's noticeably over-distance, but not too many climbs (and the change of start means that the most noteworthy hill can now be tackled with fresh legs), and plenty of pretty views to help the miles fly past.  Recommended.
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

Lycra Man

• SR 2011, 2012 & RRTY
« Reply #44 on: 18 October, 2010, 11:26:37 pm »
I'm in. Entered and paid online. See you there.

I'm driving to the start from Waddesdon, between Aylesbiury and Bicester. If anyone would like a lift, perhaps from a station, let me know.

Lycra Man

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #45 on: 18 October, 2010, 11:49:02 pm »

Hard. Really Hard. Beyond Hard. I've never finished in daylight, possibly because its the first event after the clocks change, which is always a shock to the system. I've only ever left the last control - the Q Gardens cafe - in daylight once and usually arrive after the cafe has closed.

It's a veritable rite of passage to huddle in the cold dark void whilst raining blessings on the head of our illustrious organiser and scoffing his tea and cake amidst clouds of swirling breath illuminated by head torches before setting off gruppetto to hack the last 40km or so home.

I have yet to see the new routesheet; are the controls the same? I fear Q Gardens cafe will be no more, too late in the ride to make it worth while, in which case the route will have but two main controls. Be ready for a long(er) haul to Waterperry and then Chipping Norton. Little Tew always seems rather bleak (but in a good way).

« Reply #46 on: 19 October, 2010, 08:19:44 am »
Paul exaggerates, of course.  There are a few hills - it crosses the Chilterns and touches the Cotswolds.  But less than 2000m climbing in total and the final 50km or so is virtually flat, giving a reasonably fast run-in as the light fades.  So rather easier than Paul's own Anfractuous, probably on a par with Willy Warmer.

VERY few finish this ride in daylight - the clocks have gone back then, so it is dark by 5 (sunset at about 4:25 IIRC - it says on the entry form).  Equally few take the full time for it - one or two riders who make a habit of this, and once a rider who had set out at silly o'clock from London to make this part of a longer perm (before the days of ECE).

Because of the start location there are indeed only 2 intermediate controls, at Waterperry and Chipping Norton.  So yes, the Q Gardens control is gone.  I can't say I'll mourn its passing.  From reports it was appreciated by the riders, but from the organiser's standpoint it was a nightmare.   I was very grateful to MattC and Iddu who have helped out there in past years.

I've marked on the routesheet all the places where refreshments may be purchased en-route.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #47 on: 19 October, 2010, 08:34:26 am »
Route sheet in in-box  :thumbsup:

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #48 on: 19 October, 2010, 08:56:04 am »

I did it as my first 200 (4yrs ago I think?) and this will be my 5th time riding it.
It's as hard as any ride through the Chilterns is with some steep bits to start with. The bit from Waterperry to Chipping Norton is rolling but not that bad. The rest is good fun  ;D
I'm cycling over, so hopefully not late.
See you there  :thumbsup:

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #49 on: 19 October, 2010, 12:17:55 pm »
It's as hard as any ride through the Chilterns is ...
I don't think you meant that the way you wrote it - there are MUCH harder rides through the Chilterns  :o Some steepish bits early on when you are fresh, but nothing ridiculous.(They were much harder when they were after 190km!)

I haven't seen the new route yet, but I suspect the leg back from Chipping passes lots of good cheap foody pubs if people want that sort of thing. And it's a pretty gentle leg, too. I'm looking forward to it :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles