Author Topic: The Ski Locker thread  (Read 127003 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: The Ski Locker thread
« Reply #550 on: 05 April, 2017, 09:58:24 pm »
https://flic.kr/p/SiB8XL

Ooh fuck! Just dislocated or broken as well? Heal well, Pippa.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #551 on: 06 April, 2017, 09:43:16 am »
Dislocated, but she's now having a MRI from a clinic in town.

The skiing this morning was terrible due to the fog. When sat on a chairlift the chair in front wasn't visible. I decided after a few runs to come down on the Galzigbahn but it took two attempts to find the station from the top of Galzig.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #552 on: 06 April, 2017, 09:52:24 am »
https://flic.kr/p/SiB8XL

Ouch! GWS Pippa.

How did it happen? Not a germknoedel-related incident I take it?

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #553 on: 06 April, 2017, 12:14:24 pm »
MRI says broken. Well a small fracture on the ball which is dislocated. THey want to operate and put 2-3 screws in to stabilise it.  The good news is my labrum is intact. They reckon my hand and lack of feeling is due to the shoulder squashing the nerve when it was dislocated. Feeling is slowly slowly returning, but could take months.

We were skiing down red run 122 above Zurs. We had already skied it once and I had got caught out towards the end where it flattened off and went slightly uphill over a stream. We decided to ski it again and I took the approach a bit faster  was in full tuck and just caught a ski edge and rolled over. My shoulder clearly took the impact. Unfortunately I kept rolling and ended up in the stream. Getting out was "interesting". Some guy had to pull me out as my arm was useless and it would have required scrambling up a snow covered bank.  Ski patrol came and diagnosed a dislocated shoulder. Told me a doctor with drugs was on the way in a helicopter. Doc came, gave me ketamin and then I basically woke up again in hospital. Adam was ahead of me when it happened and so was waiting for me at the Trittalp lift. He got told to stay there and then he ended up skiing back to St Anton with my skis and one pole. The other is lost somewhere.

Just sat here waiting for insurance to give the go ahead for th op.

I have all my MRI stuff on a CD :thumbsup:

« Reply #554 on: 06 April, 2017, 12:33:15 pm »
Ouch! GWS

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #555 on: 06 April, 2017, 04:31:13 pm »
Eek, that's all a bit too exciting. Hope they get you sorted and not too much life changing damage.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #556 on: 07 April, 2017, 07:14:19 pm »
Travel insurance said yes to the operation & she's currently in an Austrian clinic being screwed back together.

In other news I had a blast today, tho skiing alone isn't the same. Still I made the most of a lovely day & skied over to Zürs & enjoyed a few of the runs there (red 165 & 144 and blue 145 & 159) before heading down to Zug on the ski route, up to Zuger Hochlicht, a go on the mad Auenfeldjetbahn (is it a chairlift or a cable car?), then up to Rüfikopf, back over to Pippa's old friend Red 122 by Trittalpbahn & then back to Saint Anton via some of the Albona area. Sixty kilometres of skiing ain't bad.

Last day tomorrow. I'll meet Pippa for lunch at one of the accessible restaurants.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

αdαmsκι

« Reply #557 on: 07 April, 2017, 09:16:24 pm »

« Reply #558 on: 07 April, 2017, 09:31:54 pm »
MRI says broken. Well a small fracture on the ball which is dislocated. THey want to operate and put 2-3 screws in to stabilise it.  The good news is my labrum is intact. They reckon my hand and lack of feeling is due to the shoulder squashing the nerve when it was dislocated. Feeling is slowly slowly returning, but could take months.

We were skiing down red run 122 above Zurs. We had already skied it once and I had got caught out towards the end where it flattened off and went slightly uphill over a stream. We decided to ski it again and I took the approach a bit faster  was in full tuck and just caught a ski edge and rolled over. My shoulder clearly took the impact. Unfortunately I kept rolling and ended up in the stream. Getting out was "interesting". Some guy had to pull me out as my arm was useless and it would have required scrambling up a snow covered bank.  Ski patrol came and diagnosed a dislocated shoulder. Told me a doctor with drugs was on the way in a helicopter. Doc came, gave me ketamin and then I basically woke up again in hospital. Adam was ahead of me when it happened and so was waiting for me at the Trittalp lift. He got told to stay there and then he ended up skiing back to St Anton with my skis and one pole. The other is lost somewhere.

Just sat here waiting for insurance to give the go ahead for th op.

I have all my MRI stuff on a CD :thumbsup:

Ouch! GWS Pippa.

One of our group managed to do something similar (but not quite so serious - no displacement on the fracture), on our first day ski touring in Norway last month. Having seen the pain he was in, drugs and a helicopter would be what I'd want in that situation.
California Dreaming

αdαmsκι

« Reply #559 on: 09 April, 2017, 04:44:02 pm »
We're home. The flight was fine and as it wasn't, quite, full we got three seats for the pair of us to protect Pippa's shoulder and arm. GP appointment tomorrow to see what sort of physio the NHS can offer.

After lots of ski trips to the French Alps we were unsure what to expect from Austria but we very impressive. The towns and villages were really quaint and it didn't feel as barren as some of the high French resorts.  We would defiantly return, and besides Pippa only got to explore for 2½ days, and that was mainly spent around Rendl and Galzig. She only manged a few runs on the eastern side of Zürs and never got over to Lech or Warth.

Here's the gpx tracks from my week of skiing: click. Pippa's ski tracks includes a helicopter flight to Zams :facepalm:.

Rust never sleeps

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #561 on: 12 April, 2017, 12:30:42 pm »
This crash is the gift that keeps on giving...

Turns out the slight pain I had in my left leg post crash was probably a hairline fracture of my fibula.  Which when I ran for a bus yesterday to go to my shoulder doc snapped into a full on fibula fracture. After a night in A&E and lots of head scratching and chin stroking thinking about how to make me mobile with a non weight-bearing left leg, a left shoulder that needs resting and a left hand that doesn't function, a doctor declared this morning that I could weight bear (in contrast to what was said last night), put me in a moon boot, gave me a crutch and checked I could make 2 steps and sent me home.  ::-)

Now to wait for the fracture clinic to get in touch for an appointment - apparently that could take a month.  Sigh.

« Reply #562 on: 12 April, 2017, 01:13:00 pm »
Ooooch ..... GWS

« Reply #563 on: 12 April, 2017, 04:36:23 pm »
Ouch. Bloody ouch. That all sounds awkward.
Rust never sleeps

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #564 on: 12 April, 2017, 05:57:04 pm »
Aw balls, that's miserable luck. Take care of yourself.

« Reply #565 on: 18 April, 2017, 05:21:22 pm »
For anyone with too much time on their hands I have put together an account of my recent ski tour along the Haute Route here. There are pics so you don't have to read all the words.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #566 on: 25 April, 2017, 09:16:22 pm »
Just booked xmas 2017 in Alp d'Huez. Should be a hoot.

« Reply #567 on: 15 September, 2017, 01:01:52 pm »
It's that time of year again to...book the Feb half-term ski holiday.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #568 on: 15 September, 2017, 07:59:36 pm »
I looked a couple of days ago but then got a bit bored.

« Reply #569 on: 29 November, 2017, 09:05:35 am »
It's that time of year again to...book the Feb half-term ski holiday.

Sunday to Saturday in the Font Romeu (Pyrenees) giving 5 full days and the option of Saturday morning skiing too.

Tick tick tick...
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #570 on: 13 December, 2017, 03:26:45 pm »
Through various shenanigans, Mrs Ham & I have a double ski bag deficit, and Miss Ham & Paramour have a double ski bag to use. As we are flying, ski carriage goes on the number of bags, necessitating that I remedy that deficit.

Onto eBay, lo and beholdeth, a double bag for £20, looks good. But, what's this? the picture shows it to be a Decathlon. Hmm. Let's have a look at the motherlode. £9.99 for a double bag - not at all bad. Quality wise, it isn't the best, but it will do the job.

« Reply #571 on: 22 December, 2017, 07:20:34 pm »
Off tomorrow... snow looks the best for years!

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #572 on: 22 December, 2017, 07:23:42 pm »
Off tomorrow... snow looks the best for years!

Have a good one.

We're off to Les Trois Vallées  after Crimbo, and I have to finish the ski fettling between bike rides before we go!

Fettle fettle by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

« Reply #573 on: 23 December, 2017, 02:57:19 pm »
All packed and ready to go. A week in Baqueria with my wife and rellies from France. The snow reports are looking good, and that bodes well for the rest of the season. My main difficulty over the next couple of months will be fitting in RRTY rides around the ski trips

« Reply #574 on: 31 December, 2017, 09:15:09 am »
Well, that was interesting, in a lot of different ways.

Resort-wise was Teh Mountain of Teh Hoot !!1! (Alpe d'Huez) which is way off my fave resort. It is a huge, sprawling resort difficult to connect up, in a south facing bowl that has a tendency to turn to slush without the possibility of linking runs to stay out of the resort. That said, this Christmas we had some of the best skiing ever. Thick snow on arrival, two perfect sunny and warm days, one less perfect in the pm followed by a Day of Dump (c 60cm) then a fab day of powder. Crowds weren't bad, the expected influx of French post Xmas didn't seem to happen with only one day where queues were an issue.

Chalet-wise, we stayed at an Inghams (Hotel les Cimes), which was the choice of the party we were joining (making 25 total). It is a budget (3*) chalet which met our expectations. That is to say, it fitted our understanding of what would be on offer and in some ways exceeded. That's not meant to be damning with faint praise, but a 3* chalet is a 3* chalet, and a hotel-style operation is different from a chalet operation. Anyhow, our freezing shower DID get fixed after 4 days. Food was reasonable, staff excellent. From that experience, while I would never be seen in a Crystal, I would use Inghams again.

Flight-wise we had a total of seven (!!1!) changes of flight. The first three appeared arbitrary, and the subsequent replacement of the Monarch (!!1!) flight necessary. But then, another 3 changes ? Including being shifted from Geneva to Grenoble on the night before we flew back. That change, necessitating a 4 a.m. start accompanied by a cross-resort trudge down and up through thick snow to get to the bus because they couldn't reach the hotel (another 60cm snow over Friday night) was not best appreciated.

Equipment-wise I found myself replacing my old boots as  I had to admit to myself that I could lift my heel about 2cm. Which somehow led to a new ski buying experience; given that I am nearly 100% piste these days I failed to be seduced by the all mountain shapes and, after discussion with the Nice Man in the shop, ended up with the updated version of my Salomon Streetracers, virtually identical profile, race bindings, and - unfortunately - weight, even though these are allegedly titanium. I didn't ask for them to be waxed which led to interesting experimental info: previously I was faster on the glide than Mrs Ham, the new skis were markedly slower on exactly the same paths leading to Much Poling to keep up. Wax works.

Healthwise, it was all a bit shit. Both Mrs Ham and I started a cold just before we went, both lasted the entire week and I had an added ear infection thrown in which leaves me antibiotically alcohol free :(

I'd imagine anyone heading off now should have a really great week, best new year wishes to all, may the snow rise to meet your edges, and remember, all things are possible, except skiing through a revolving door