Author Topic: A random thread for small computing things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 300362 times)

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
I've taught myself go and put a project on github with the go stuff in https://github.com/vorsprung/parameter-ssm-template

fuaran

• rothair gasta
The new Firefox Quantum seems to be rather fast.
Though the square tabs look ugly. And it seems to have messed up the font sizes on some sites.  Especially YACF - everything is rather small. Zooming in works, but it forgets that when I refresh the page.

Though the square tabs look ugly. And it seems to have messed up the font sizes on some sites.  Especially YACF - everything is rather small. Zooming in works, but it forgets that when I refresh the page.

I've installed it on my Lubuntu box but cant open it as it gives a parsing error, XML Parsing Error: Undefined Entity location: Chrome:// Browser/content/Browser.xul line number 1165, column 7:

I've installed it on my Lubuntu box but cant open it as it gives a parsing error, XML Parsing Error: Undefined Entity location: Chrome:// Browser/content/Browser.xul line number 1165, column 7:

Sorted it, uninstalled it, removed the PPA, then installed the normal firefox and upgraded it. Its running OK now, its quick but looks a bit like a tonka toy.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
The provider for our club website changed the handling for .htaccess/.htpasswd some time in the last couple of years, but it went unnoticed because in the meantime El Prez got Serif cut-rate via the FFCT, decided it was the bee's knees and clobbered everything in the www directory.  Now he's realizing that he can't put club docs on line for anyone and wants to resurrect the old system I put in, which is still there in a protected subdirectory.

Trouble is, the provider's description of his implementation of .htaccess/.htpasswd doesn't match what the server actually does. I've been batting my head against it for a couple of days and getting nothing but #500.

And fwiw I agreed about FFQ's square-cornered tabs. OK, they want speed and curvy ones take a little longer to draw, but surely not that long.

Noticed in passing that refreshing a page does not refresh the page icon, which is annoying when you're trying various designs.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

T42

• Apprentice geezer
And as usual, no sooner bitched about something than the solution emerges: typo in our domain name in the AuthUserFile line.  :-[  :facepalm:

Now I need to sort out all the dislocated paths... oh Mother.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Hurrah: DJ Random has played all the musical tunes in my iTunes library :thumbsup:

Bah: A lengthy session of tag-jibbling can no longer be put off :'(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Been frobbing with OpenLayers2 and the Flickr API. Wondering if I should try learning OpenLayers3 or just get a life  :)

Hurrah: DJ Random has played all the musical tunes in my iTunes library :thumbsup:

Wow—how many days/weeks?
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Somewhere north of two years off and on.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
I have just fixed my Android keyboard not working in Chrome on the Facebook page issue that I've had for aeons, just by turning off auto correct (tho it works fine with predictive text). I wish I'd found that out ages ago.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
All of a sud my W7 will not overwrite a strip the height of a horizontal scroll bar, just above the task bar. Maximized windows stop there, leaving a strip of the background image visible.  It'll probably fix itself when I reboot, but ICBA just now.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Trying to jibble an Excel spreadsheet to generate something that can be used to create a Several of text files is giving me a headache.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
Trying to jibble an Excel spreadsheet to generate something that can be used to create a Several of text files is giving me a headache.

Grasshopper, you need to study harder https://youtu.be/OrwBc6PwAcY
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah

I have achieved a minor degree of success in that text files of the appropriate format and - crucially - prettiness, can now be produced.  With an awful lot of copying and pasting.  Now I just need to repeat the exercise four times and hand-jibble about 18,000 numbers :'(

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Why does my computer think it's always in Sunderland? As far as I'm aware it's never even been to Sunderland, and for that matter I don't think I have either ???
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
I either live in outer Manchester or central Bradford according to my IP.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Arnold, Nottingham.  Which does at least make sense, in a not-really-at-all kind of way.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Mercifully, Farcebok seems to have got the message that I don't live in York.  But it still tells me that I'm simultaneously logged in from London, York and Santa Clara CA ???

Someone keeps attempting to log in to my apple account in Middlesborough. It took ages to work out it's actually me but somewhere else entirely.

Trip Advisor regularly congratulate me on being one of the top reviewers in Sutton. This despite the other part of them knowing exactly where I am and barring me from reviewing local businesses.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Gentlemen, if your The Product dishes out so many error messages that notepad++ cannot open the log file, because it is too big, there is probably something very wrong at a fairly fundamental level.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
Gentlemen, if your The Product dishes out so many error messages that notepad++ cannot open the log file, because it is too big, there is probably something very wrong at a fairly fundamental level.

You might wish to meet some of our web developers. They switched on some extra "diagnostics" on all of one of our customers web servers. 20G per server per day. Did they bother to read through all those logs to find what they were looking for? Did they buggery.

Is your bear peckish?
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

Fucking Amazon Fucking Search. How the holy hell can they get away with something quite so shit? In here rather than rant coz I might be missing summat essential that might help. Plus it's all a bit of a laugh really.

Previously, I'd really only noticed how shit the book search was. For a purveyor of the written word, this was a bit on the odd side. You want to search for books by Michael Bond? Certainly sir, here are three hundred results including tomes by Dan Brown and Charlotte Rampling. In German. Oh, you've found our little button that specifies the author? Aren't YOU clever. but if you think we're going to help you by taking away the foreign language results or giving you a way to display the results more usefully or even to page through the results faster, you've got another think coming.

Anyhow, I'm after one of the volumes of Atlas des cols des alpes (vol 3). Logical then, I search for it, eh?

(which is a bit of a laugh from the resulting French) OK. Challenge. Let's put quotes around the phrase, that should work eh?

:facepalm:

Right Amazon you fuckers. Atlas +des +cols +Alps Yesssssss!!!! Still no useful results on Amazon UK (>£30 for the volume) but I won.

Amazon.fr was my friend, search worked normally and I found someone with a copy for €12

ian

Yes, Amazon.

Looking for a new portable hard drive the other day. Select all the options, select 2TB, sort by price.

Why do I then have to navigate through pages of leads, caddies, plugs before I find an actual entire portable drive?

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Learned something today and confirmed something I knew.

Fired up a guest OS in virtualbox that was created in Linux, on my windows rig. Rather cool that, me thinks, first time I ever tried and needed to do so.

Though I either need to do this more often or have a guest OS without various programs that need to sync and update ever few minutes. As dropbox, skype, outlook and the OS itself etc. Went into up update mode and drained the bandwidth, RAM and CPU while it is trying to figure out what I have been up too in the last five month. So I went to make a cuppa while I wait ...
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit