Author Topic: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 275129 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
Further over hear to the East it was raining when I left home at 7am of the clock and it was still raining when I returned to the Bastion at 6 of the pm oclock. Horrid wet and windy day. Today's blue skies are most welcome.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Here in west London we didn't see any of the forecast deluge, just a cold north wind.

Sunny today, started below 1C but now almost 17C.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Heat record broken.  I can't wait for the newsreaders to pronounce Herstmonceaux.

(click to show/hide)
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

ian

This is what happens when I miss a bank holiday. I'm away: heat and sun. I'm not away: cold and grey. Every fucking time.

As a plus, it's 32 degrees and sunny here. As a negative I'm mostly in a overly air-conditioned conference room. I'm quite sure that Americans think they can simply deal with climate change by nudging the a/c down a few degrees.

Beardy

• Shedist
I have been reminded of one downside to working in the office again when dressing for work this morning. The shirt and tie may be dead in IT, and even the suit is very much optional these days, but shorts are a step to far for the Office, even in my opinion. Having been a home worker for 17 years, having to wear trousers more than once in a while really is the biggest down side for me. :(  :(
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
I was just thinking exactly the same, corporate office this week, crisp factory next week, neither would be expecting shorts.

Make the most of today and Friday at home I think.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

This is what happens when I miss a bank holiday. I'm away: heat and sun. I'm not away: cold and grey. Every fucking time.

Would you mind buggering off every bank holiday?  :demon:

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
I have been reminded of one downside to working in the office again when dressing for work this morning. The shirt and tie may be dead in IT, and even the suit is very much optional these days, but shorts are a step to far for the Office, even in my opinion. Having been a home worker for 17 years, having to wear trousers more than once in a while really is the biggest down side for me. :(  :(
A girl person in her own right at work was wearing a shirt today.  Just a shirt.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

ian

Would you mind buggering off every bank holiday?  :demon:

No, it makes my wife grumpy. Especially when I send her a running commentary on my cocktail consumption. It's important to keep hydrated when it's 33 degrees and you're taking a slow stroll between bars.

Alas, I fly back tomorrow evening, so expect less clemency from the weather as of Thursday morning.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Forecast is for rain.  YA Rob McKenna AICMFP.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

And I am riding up to long itchington in the morning   ::-) . Should be dry by the time I get there if I am lucky  :)
the slower you go the more you see

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
And I am riding up to long itchington in the morning   ::-) . Should be dry by the time I get there if I am lucky  :)

Don't forget your charger. I haven't got a spare . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Charger is on-board as is the second battery   :)
the slower you go the more you see

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
"Crivvens!" exclaimed Mr Larrington.  "The polis are arresting the neighbours again!"

(Looks out of window)

No.  No, they are not.  Those blue flashing lights are, in fact, lightning.  I think I will vacate the Estate Office, where I am surrounded by anbarick devices.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Vineyards down south (from here, not from there) lambasted by hail yesterday, ditto Haguenau* midweek.

*listed by Baedecker as "where the hell?"
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
It was raining Sustrans path a little bit ago.  Now it's raining rain, in copious amounts.  I can hear the death throes of some sort of burglar alarm, and we seem to be having terrible problems with our drainage.

Chris S

I've had to get used to some new meteorological situations, since moving to the Coastal NE. It's a bit like being in Norfolk, because that county is nearly all North Sea coastal, but up here it's just a bit more so.

So the last five days have been this: Fog, cold (10c), damp, nasty. Suddenly today - it's crystal clear, warm, sunny.

You can bet that tomorrow will be one of: (a) Cold Fog, (b) Heatwave.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
It was very black to the west over Bill's mother's (she lives in Oswestry) first thing this morning.  It's been marginally less black all day here, but now it's dark, we have the lights on, and it's raining steadily. 

Never before have I seen the Meteoradar rain forecast in red and purple.  Should be an interesting next few hours....  Good job we live on the top of a hill.

http://meteoradar.co.uk/zoom/651/769/verwacht

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Looking at something on Twitter suggests Kim and barakta are under water.

Hubert road is near you, right?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

ElyDave

I've had to get used to some new meteorological situations, since moving to the Coastal NE. It's a bit like being in Norfolk, because that county is nearly all North Sea coastal, but up here it's just a bit more so.

So the last five days have been this: Fog, cold (10c), damp, nasty. Suddenly today - it's crystal clear, warm, sunny.

Sounds just like both Cambridgeshire and Aberdeenshire, my main two hangouts.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
60mm in an hour at Edgbaston, apparently.

The drain that takes the run-off from the back half of our roof, as well as the kitchen sink, couldn't cope, and we had a few inches of flooding outside the back door.  Everything else seemed okay, apart from a large lump of 'dripping blood' (symptom of packet loss) on our ADSL CQM graph.  The weatherbricks outside our kitchen window have turned completely brown.

Looking at BirminghamUpdates on twitter, the usual Bournbrook drainage problem spots of the junction at the University south gate and the Pershore Road near the nature centre were thoroughly underwater, with general chaos around the city.

The spoil heap currently occupying the wankpanzer parking spot at the front of our house (they've been planting new streetlights) seems greatly diminished.  I expect it's all been washed into a storm drain.

No floating wheelybins or anything here though.

It's all stopped now, and is in the process of pretending that it never happened.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter

Aberdeen=heatwave until 30 mins before it's time to leave work. At which point the haar rolls in.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ElyDave

Aberdeen=heatwave until 30 mins before it's time to leave work. At which point the haar rolls in.

North East Cambs - 4 days solid of -2C fog, my moustache had condensation

T42

• Apprentice geezer
So far this month France has only had one day without thunderstorms.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight