Author Topic: "Ben Nevis is very steep and too high"  (Read 2015 times)

"Ben Nevis is very steep and too high"
« on: 30 June, 2015, 08:17:09 pm »
Never visit these Scottish places

I agree about the Royal Mile, mind.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
Re: "Ben Nevis is very steep and too high"
« Reply #1 on: 30 June, 2015, 08:44:29 pm »
 :facepalm:   Gotta laugh.

My sister would definitely agree with the comment on the Burrel Collection.  I think I used to deliberately annoy her by spending far more time than necessary looking around there  :demon: O:-)

It's a reverse Elvis thing.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: 30 June, 2015, 08:46:36 pm »
#17 would be better if it said don't go there except to escape from Fife ;)

Anyhoo. That reminds me most strongly of when Pingu and I were riding the lovely coast road between Applecross & Sheildaig when some tourists in a car stopped us and asked if the road up ahead was more of the same, at which point they turned round and went back the way they came.
Scotland. If you want a theme park, don't come.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3 on: 30 June, 2015, 09:01:49 pm »
OK, not Scotland, and some time later than some of the Scottish entries.

On a trip to Egypt there was an extra, costing a bit more, to Abu Simbel. Two of the party decided not to go, and instead had their nails done and sat round the pool.

"Once you've seen one temple, you've seen them all."
It is simpler than it looks.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #4 on: 30 June, 2015, 09:08:05 pm »
In fairness, Jaded, having done a Nile Cruise way back when, you do get a little 'Templed Out' after a few days.

Abu Simbel was a short plane flight to get there, and it was astoundingly hot.
The thing that set it apart from the other antiquities was the fact the whole thing had been moved to an artificial mountain to avoid it being lost beneath the rising waters of Lake Nasser, after they built the Aswan Dam back in the '60s.  The tour around the insides of the artificial mountain was a refreshing change.

« Reply #5 on: 30 June, 2015, 09:28:34 pm »
I have to say, I did get a bit sick of palaces after being in Rajasthan for a while.

(Actually, the reviews do remind me of a guy I met in India who'd been to South India for a couple of weeks, and described it as "disappointing")

caerau

« Reply #6 on: 30 June, 2015, 09:40:09 pm »
At least these people gave it a try, some people never get out of their local area or go to historic areas to an all inclusive hotel and never leave the poolside.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #7 on: 30 June, 2015, 09:41:20 pm »
In that picture of Arthur's Seat, I can see my flat.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #8 on: 30 June, 2015, 10:38:29 pm »
I visited Ben Nevis a couple of weeks ago, and amusingly it has route up it called the "Tourist Route" which really isn't for tourists, and just invites trouble.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #9 on: 30 June, 2015, 10:58:47 pm »
I think you will find it to be the easiest of all the routes up, Gerald. This possibly accounts for why it is so eroded - world's most climbed mountain and all that.

Did you go up? It's sodding hard work on a hot day, and both times I have been up the weather has been hot. The worst bit is coming down. It took my knees a week to recover.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #10 on: 30 June, 2015, 11:06:25 pm »
In that picture of Arthur's Seat, I can see my flat.

Is that like that picture of an old man where, if you squint, it turns into a young woman?

caerau

« Reply #11 on: 30 June, 2015, 11:35:57 pm »
I think you will find it to be the easiest of all the routes up, Gerald. This possibly accounts for why it is so eroded - world's most climbed mountain and all that.

Did you go up? It's sodding hard work on a hot day, and both times I have been up the weather has been hot. The worst bit is coming down. It took my knees a week to recover.

+1

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #12 on: 30 June, 2015, 11:38:32 pm »
Is the author of #7 from Glasgow perchance?

« Reply #13 on: 01 July, 2015, 07:45:21 am »
I live just across the river from #13. It's quite pleasant really!

Andrew

« Reply #14 on: 01 July, 2015, 08:00:12 am »
To be fair, I know I've visited places and been underwhelmed. Places others have recommended. To each their own, including pool side.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #15 on: 01 July, 2015, 09:45:19 am »
You can see why people might object to the "reconsecration of the battle". And "ware battle clothes". I mean, shopping is pretty boring, really.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #16 on: 02 July, 2015, 11:18:35 pm »
Can't disagree with the Dunnottar Castle review  :-\

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #17 on: 03 July, 2015, 12:09:34 am »
That reminds me most strongly of when Pingu and I were riding the lovely coast roadPassing through the fractal dimension between Applecross & Sheildaig
I think this more be a more accurate description - one of the few roads that Escher would have given up on as too improbable.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #18 on: 03 July, 2015, 12:14:27 am »

I have only been up there once. The tourist route was well under snow. We went up one of the northern corries with full[1] ice climbing gear and had lunch in the emergency shelter. The door of the shelter was a couple of feet above the surface of the snow.
This is it in summer (or was)
http://www.journeyman.walkingplaces.co.uk/photos/bennevis.jpg
We then walked down the tourist route, using compasses to avoid the five finger gully. There were inappropriately dressed folk attempting to ascend.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #19 on: 03 July, 2015, 04:48:43 pm »
Been up The Ben twice. Once was from the Glen, at the top of the road (as it was in the '70s), so 4000' up and no down. We got to the top quite quickly, looked around at the view - yes folks, clear! - and my companion asked where the next bit of uphill was. I waved in the general direction of Norway.
The other time was from Carn Mor Dearg in snow in March - not quite so clear but still some views. Didn't see any tourists that time.

Actually, as for being too high, I reckon another few thousand good, old-fashion feets wouldn't come amiss.
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

fuzzy

« Reply #20 on: 15 July, 2015, 10:55:57 am »
I attemted Ben Nevis once, in January 1979 I think it was, whilst doing a 2 week Outward Bound course at Fort William. The weather was a tad inclement and we abandoned our summit attempt due to the winds. We hung around a bit doing fall arrests on a short snow slope and ice climbing in crampons etc. on a fairly gentle gradient. Being a skinny young, I found staying in contact with the ice a bit awkward. At one point I was airborne in the breeze, my flight being arrested by impact with the awesome chest of a female instructor.

« Reply #21 on: 16 July, 2015, 12:43:48 pm »
Not all bad, then.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897