Author Topic: Bumbag for cycling with a camera?  (Read 2195 times)

fuaran

• rothair gasta
Bumbag for cycling with a camera?
« on: 07 September, 2016, 02:45:19 pm »
I'm thinking some sort of bumbag/belt bag would be useful for carrying my camera when on the bike. So comfortable for cycling, and lets me stop, spin the bag around and quickly get the camera out.

Doesn't have to be huge, but big enough for a Micro 4/3 camera (Lumix G5), plus a couple of extra lenses. And maybe some way of strapping a Gorillapod on.

Any suggestions for makes / models?
Currently looking at:
Lowepro Inverse 100 AW - not sure if too big?
Think Tank Hubba Hubba Hiney - quite expensive, have to buy the belt separately
Think Tank Speed Demon - a bit bigger
Thule Covert CSC Sling

Seems to be surprisingly few around, I'm sure they were more common a few years ago. Maybe not so fashionable right now.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
Re: Bumbag for cycling with a camera?
« Reply #1 on: 07 September, 2016, 02:53:29 pm »
I have an older version of one of these - http://www.katabags.co.uk/handsfree-495-dl-for-dslr-2-lenses-flash-ktdl-hf-495

it's a bit tight for a DSLR (it won't fit with a big lens) but apart from that it's works well.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

« Reply #2 on: 07 September, 2016, 03:36:45 pm »
I use this with a fuji x and a couple of lenses

https://www.simplyhike.co.uk/products/TheNorthFace/SportHikerWaistPack-TNFBlack.aspx

It also has a few little pockets for food and water bottles if required.
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #3 on: 09 September, 2016, 01:15:07 pm »
Found the Lowepro bumbag on Ebay for £15, so I'll try that.

« Reply #4 on: 09 September, 2016, 01:19:44 pm »
Tried the bumbag thing, didn't like it. Prefer just carrying it over my shoulder or in this - http://www.decathlon.co.uk/300-bike-handlebar-bag-25l-id_8355750.html

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #5 on: 09 September, 2016, 06:50:32 pm »
Ortlieb barbag, took my Canon 400D with 18-270 lens around the world and a throw off in a sand storm, just fine. Easy to access for quick snaps and don't leave a sweaty spot around the hips or back.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #6 on: 10 September, 2016, 05:40:37 pm »
I would like a bar bag, but not a lot of space on the drop bars - already pretty crowded with lights, GPS, GoPro etc. Maybe I could add some sort of extension bar.
That Decathlon bar bag looks a bit small for my camera, they don't seem to give dimensions.

I often end up walking some distance from the bike to get a photo, so a bumbag could be useful for that anyway.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #7 on: 10 September, 2016, 05:55:00 pm »
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/accessories/thorn-accessory-bar-mk1-t-shaped-105-mm-extension-222-mm-0-deg-black-anodized/

The T-bar is great for extra space, we got our bar bags on them. Though you need to have lots of fork and spacers to make it work.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: 12 September, 2016, 10:49:57 pm »
I have the Think Tank bag.  I use it for event jobs occasionally.  Hate it on the bike, too sweaty and bounces around too much.  Much prefer a messenger bag for a camera - even if it is harder to access.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #9 on: 12 September, 2016, 10:55:18 pm »
That Decathlon bar bag looks a bit small for my camera, they don't seem to give dimensions.

It fits my big camera, a 70-300 and the 50.