Author Topic: The 2016 "is your heating on yet?" thread  (Read 17748 times)

Re: The 2016 "is your heating on yet?" thread
« Reply #50 on: 08 October, 2016, 11:57:29 pm »
I'm babysitting in a house with no heating on. I am just about warm enough with a blanket over my legs and a second one round my shoulders. My typing hand is getting cold though.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #51 on: 09 October, 2016, 12:09:32 am »
Hasn't really been off all year. Been too damp.

« Reply #52 on: 09 October, 2016, 08:31:45 am »
Mine stays on the thermostat pretty much all of the time*. That's surely the point of a thermostat to heat the house when the temperature hits a set point, rather than when the calendar/your pride etc. allows you to turn it on?

Yeah, but some people are obviously nostalgic for the great BRITISH public-sector building tradition of no heating until the central boiler is fired up at $date, regardless of conditions, and all subsequent fine control achieved by opening the window.

I believe the Magic Dates were 1 April for 'Off' and 1 October for 'On'.

ISTR that the Shops, Offices and Railway Premises Act specified a minimum of 60oF, which is a fairly parky 15.6C.

People  used to wear a lot more clothes in those days. Vests, jackets, heavy wool skirts/trousers, tank tops...
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #53 on: 09 October, 2016, 12:07:52 pm »
Mine stays on the thermostat pretty much all of the time*. That's surely the point of a thermostat to heat the house when the temperature hits a set point, rather than when the calendar/your pride etc. allows you to turn it on?

Yeah, but some people are obviously nostalgic for the great BRITISH public-sector building tradition of no heating until the central boiler is fired up at $date, regardless of conditions, and all subsequent fine control achieved by opening the window.

I believe the Magic Dates were 1 April for 'Off' and 1 October for 'On'.

ISTR that the Shops, Offices and Railway Premises Act specified a minimum of 60oF, which is a fairly parky 15.6C.

People  used to wear a lot more clothes in those days. Vests, jackets, heavy wool skirts/trousers, tank tops...

And work was more physical.  Even office work.  Ever used a manual typewriter?  Filing cabinet?

ian

« Reply #54 on: 09 October, 2016, 12:34:10 pm »
I grew up cold. Until I was about eight we lived in a drafty falling down house with a coal fire (and no bathroom, tin bath in front of the fire, makes it sound like I born in medieval times rather than the 1970s). After that we moved to a new house which still, unaccountably, didn't have central heating. I must have been about fourteen when we had the glorious warm dawn of radiators in every room. Previous to that it was the fight to kebab oneself in front the gas fire. I remember the freezing bathroom on winter morning, waiting for the little strip heater on the ceiling to make a few seconds under the crappy lukewarm piss of the shower (itself one of those terminally underpowered gas things) bearable.

I used to spend a lot of time at my grandparents because they had a huge coal fire and used to get cheap coal from the NCB, so could keep it going all day.

None of our student houses had heating either. That was the land of the electric heaters – those useless element things that heated the immediate 10cm in front to a temperature close to that of the sun's chromosphere, but if you were 11 cm away you were back paddling in the Baltic. About 2 seconds after switching it off the temperature plummeted straight back into the arctic. You couldn't leave them on because they ate electricity like there was danger it might run out. Which it did. Another fifty pence for the meter. It's your turn. We'd nestle under a pile of blankets like hibernating rodents. I once caught one of flatmates standing astride the toaster, wafting the warm air up her skirt. Well, it's cold in here was the only explanation she offered. Sometimes it's best not to ask. I think we eventually persuaded our landlord to splurge on gas heater which basically did the job by making us fall asleep.

People were tougher back then. They had to be in order to fight the dinosaurs.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #55 on: 09 October, 2016, 12:51:04 pm »
Hasn't really been off all year. Been too damp.

I don't think they switched the heating off when I  worked in Shetland either...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #56 on: 09 October, 2016, 12:57:59 pm »
I did not grow up cold. My Danish mother had central heating installed in our home in the mid 60s. I had one cold student house.
I am a wuss.
My next-door neighbour (who has lived there since the house was built in 1932) is considering getting central heating.
I am a wuss.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #57 on: 09 October, 2016, 05:06:36 pm »
... his new grand piano ought to be kept a tad cooler than the temperature to which we have become accustomed.

And the piano will also benefit from regulated relative humidity of around 45%. It's a tough life for wooden instruments!

Humidity had dropped to 44% this morning. I had hung out no laundry for three days as we had a guest expected this afternoon.
It has not yet topped 50% so I don't think we'll need humidifiers or dehumidifeirs.

I thought hanging wet washing in the lounge might adversely affect the humidity.

It went up to 50% after David hung out the duvet cover but was down to 44.5% this morning; skies were very clear earlier.

Seems washing keeps things close to optimum...

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #58 on: 09 October, 2016, 08:09:00 pm »
44%! That's a figure I can only dream about!

Actually, that's a bit of a lie, I think I did see it that low, one afternoon this summer when I had all the windows open and there was a dry wind firing through the flat
One afternoon, mind. I've not seen less than 55% this month, and it's not even rained very much yet. The dehumidifier has been on for about 4 hours and we're currently at 62%.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #59 on: 09 October, 2016, 08:20:53 pm »
The piano websites suggest about 45% as a minimum.

I don't think I'll feel guilty about the washing, though will monitor matters.

Piano is in lounge, which has southwest-facing double-glazed patio doors (mostly obscured by vertical blinds) at one end and northeast-facing bay at the non-piano end. Radiators are mostly turned off but temperature's usually around 21.5C.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #60 on: 09 October, 2016, 10:06:34 pm »
When you are talking about humidity percentages, I presume you are talking Relative Humidity?

That is very temperature-dependant.
It's the fraction of how much moisture the air can hold *at that temperature*.

Warm air can hold more moisture than cold air.

So in warm air, the maximum volume of water that can be held is high.
So a certain volume of water can be held and the RH will be modest.
Cool that air, and the maximum reduces, so the RH becomes higher.  We are closer to the dew-point.
Cool it further, and we reach the point that the volume of water is equal to the maximum that can be held, RH = 100% and we are at the dew point and liquid water begins to condense.

So to reduce the RH, you either need to reduce the water volume ( dehumidifiers ), or increase the capacity ( temperature ).

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #61 on: 09 October, 2016, 10:30:18 pm »
Thanks!
I think we knew, cos science...

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #62 on: 09 October, 2016, 10:48:56 pm »
Funny really. Our place, built in something like 1500 with no damp proofing and very little insulation, is like the Sahara and we're most desiccated after a full winter inside.

« Reply #63 on: 09 October, 2016, 10:56:13 pm »
Not yet, my 1930's solid walled flat is fairly cozy. In fact I've been shirtless for most of the day, though I did have the hifi on, and 50W of valve amp does a good job of raising the temperature.

If the pattern follows the last few winters I'll start using the Economy 7 storage heater in the main room in December & will use it intermittently until March,  I don't think I've used the one in the bedroom for several years.

I grew up in centrally heated houses, but when I visit the aged parents I find it uncomfortably hot & stuffy.  All the pipes for the hot water & heating were under my old bedroom, so perhaps I'm having a delayed reaction!

Walking back from tonights gig in a t shirt & lightweight merino hoody was distinctly cool though.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #64 on: 09 October, 2016, 11:08:41 pm »
Mrs B said tonight "Do you think we should put the heating on?". The house is cooling down.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #65 on: 09 October, 2016, 11:32:48 pm »
I turned the motorcar's heating knob up from 18 to 20 degrees this morning but had to turn it down again on the way home as it was sending me to sleep.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #66 on: 09 October, 2016, 11:46:08 pm »
The sun really heated up the south facing part of the house today, so the wood burner was not lit tonight. Still no CH  :o

ian

« Reply #67 on: 10 October, 2016, 08:52:23 am »
I think I'm going to give in this evening. Twelve degrees tops today is going to call it. That cats are making it clear that I'm currently the only viable heat source in the house.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #68 on: 10 October, 2016, 11:42:58 am »
I don't think old houses are intrinsically colder or damper than new ones. It depends more on the quality of building or other factors. The bit of our house from 1841 with rattly sash windows is warmer and dryer than the 1970s bit with double glazing.

I don't really get the point of having the heating on with the thermostat all year either, as how cold or warm a place feels is about a lot more than the actual temperature.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #69 on: 10 October, 2016, 12:44:54 pm »
I don't really get the point of having the heating on with the thermostat all year either, as how cold or warm a place feels is about a lot more than the actual temperature.

That's a fair point.  I've got humidity and pressure measurements as well as temperature and occupancy.  Maybe I should be controlling the heating by some horrendous formula for apparent temperature?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #70 on: 10 October, 2016, 12:48:45 pm »
Maybe I should be controlling the heating by some horrendous formula for apparent temperature?

Not to do so would be most un-Kimmish.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #71 on: 10 October, 2016, 01:14:40 pm »
I'm surprised you don't do that already.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #72 on: 10 October, 2016, 01:20:41 pm »
I switched it on yesterday.

At the moment it is running from 8pm to 9pm and 5am to 6am.
Chief cat entertainer.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #73 on: 10 October, 2016, 01:27:51 pm »
I'm surprised you don't do that already.

In practical terms it's the occupancy that's the most important factor.  Our house follows the usual pattern of being warm upstairs and freezing downstairs, so the key to successful heating control is mostly knowing what rooms people are (or are about to be[1]) in.

Nevertheless, I'll have a go at calculating apparent temperature and see what the numbers look like...

[1] By integration with the alarm clock and watching for cooking-related reminders.  None of this spooky google learning stuff.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #74 on: 10 October, 2016, 01:52:40 pm »

So what do you think a thermostat is for?  ???
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles