Author Topic: TINAT 2019 - 15th & 16th June  (Read 25158 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
TINAT 2019 - 15th & 16th June
« Reply #25 on: 26 October, 2018, 12:04:22 am »
This popped up in my podcast feed this evening:
http://thebikeshow.net/this-is-not-a-tour/

Haven’t listened to it yet but Jack Thurston is always good value.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

vistaed

• Everyday stories
Re: TINAT 2019 - 15th & 16th June
« Reply #26 on: 27 October, 2018, 12:28:55 pm »

Thanks for sharing this. It's a nice listen.
after hardship comes ease -
 www.strava.com/athletes/188220

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #27 on: 27 October, 2018, 12:39:04 pm »

Thanks for sharing this. It's a nice listen.

It certainly made me want to sign up for next year's event... although PBP matters make that tricky, so fingers crossed it will be on again in 2020.

Mr Black Sheep came across very well. And the interview with Mike's mum was very moving.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #28 on: 30 October, 2018, 09:09:10 am »
Only 7 made it back in under 40 hours on the 600?!

That's a surprise. As is the DNF rate. Wow!

although i managed to finish in 36h35m (with only 1.5h sleep) i wouldn't take risk riding it as a qualifier for the pbp - i was a total wreck by the time i reached the arrivee..
what an amazing ride though!

This exactly.

Also worth noting that the conditions were unusually favourable: dry and very warm at night. Doing that ride in standard to bad Welsh weather would be ...interesting. 

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #29 on: 30 October, 2018, 01:05:58 pm »

I'm about half-way through - vv good. And some excellent music, that's a new thing in podcast land!

is that Paul D's dulcet tones saying hello (as jack pauses on the Mohican track)?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #30 on: 30 October, 2018, 01:33:49 pm »
is that Paul D's dulcet tones saying hello (as jack pauses on the Mohican track)?

Yup, about 15 1/2 minutes in. In my defence I was riding up a gravelly 1in4 when I spotted a familiar looking bloke with a microphone. :)

Phil W

« Reply #31 on: 03 November, 2018, 09:41:26 am »
Just listened to this on my soundbox.  Very good.  Right must move my events from the same weekend next year so I can do this.  What tyres did folks ride on? Thinking of taking mudguards off and fitting my 35mm "gravel" tyres.

« Reply #32 on: 03 November, 2018, 10:36:36 am »

400k - Specialized Roubaix Pro 32mm with guards.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #33 on: 03 November, 2018, 12:26:47 pm »
Everyone I saw was on pneumatic rubber-based tyres. The details varied quite widely!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #34 on: 03 November, 2018, 04:46:58 pm »
35mm tyres @50/60psi were fine and fast enough on the road, but the bike was very shaky on the two stretches of rough gravel. does it mean i'd like to ride it on wider tyres? most probably not.

« Reply #35 on: 06 November, 2018, 07:58:17 pm »
What tyres did folks ride on? Thinking of taking mudguards off and fitting my 35mm "gravel" tyres.
I rode my Long Haul trucker sporting 26"x1.75 Marathon Supremes. I packed at about 360km, almost at the same time as someone who had rode all the way around on 700c x 23mm. There was a truly beautiful handbuilt 650b randonneur bike with front bag etc that I lusted after, the last time I saw him he was fixing a puncture around Clarewen reservoir whilst everyone rode by. If I could choose any bike I would be like the guy on the Cannondale Slate. If I ride it next year I will ride my usual steel audax bike either with 28mm tyres and guards or maybe 32mm tyres without guards depending on the weather
https://creweandnantwichaudax.wordpress.com/ - See the Audax events I currently organise

www.milehousebarn.co.uk - Cycle Friendly B&B in Nantwich, Chehsire

« Reply #36 on: 06 November, 2018, 08:10:02 pm »
Are you talking about me? I did the 300 on 700x23s, and had a puncture near Claerwen Reservoir. I finished it way overtime but nothing to do with tyre choice.

Most of the “gravel” sections are big chunky rocks so I don’t know what advantage having slightly larger tyre would give you. Front suspension on the off-road descent before Dolgellau would have been grand though.

« Reply #37 on: 06 November, 2018, 10:42:04 pm »
I'd built up my old Raleigh Europa with 700x35c tyres but broke a crank the week before the TINAT weekend so rode my Specialized Roubaix with 700x25c Duranos at 90psi instead for the 600km. I was a bit slow on the gravel on day one and the descent to a checkpoint was a bit too hairy so I had to walk some of it, but otherwise I managed ok. I had a rear puncture on day two on road when I ran over a sharp bit of metal in a puddle that scratched the rim and cut the sidewall. I put my 23mm Specialized Pro4 Service Course spare tyre on for the rest of the ride and finished in under 39 hours after being close to the time limit overnight.

« Reply #38 on: 07 November, 2018, 10:39:50 am »
Are you talking about me? I did the 300 on 700x23s, and had a puncture near Claerwen Reservoir.

I don't think so I was on the "fast" 400km (albeit riding it slowly  ;D )
https://creweandnantwichaudax.wordpress.com/ - See the Audax events I currently organise

www.milehousebarn.co.uk - Cycle Friendly B&B in Nantwich, Chehsire

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #39 on: 07 November, 2018, 12:10:37 pm »
I did ride a (blue) handbuilt 650b randonneur with a front bag but didn't experience any punctures; I did stop near Clarewen to take some pictures of riders passing though.

Tyres were the 48mm Compass Switchback Hill, the "extra light" version which I ride at ~ 2 bar / 30 psi. I was a bit apprehensive after reading that James on the reconnaissance ride got a slashed tyre caused by sharp, flat gravel but everything worked out fine.

« Reply #40 on: 07 November, 2018, 12:49:24 pm »
I don't think so I was on the "fast" 400km (albeit riding it slowly  ;D )

Coincidence then. Although the 400 and the 300 (that I was on) were mostly the same route with a couple of extra loops towards the end for the 400.

« Reply #41 on: 07 November, 2018, 12:56:43 pm »
Most of the people that I spotted with visitations on the Claerwen reservoir track seemed to be on relatively wide tyres.  I could well be wrong but I decided that this was probably because they were hammering along whereas I felt the need to pick my line fairly carefully on my 28mm Conti 4 seasons.

« Reply #42 on: 07 November, 2018, 03:51:24 pm »
On the Claerwen track I would have had concerns if on my usual Pasela PT 28s, but instead rode 32mm schwalbe Delta cruiser plus tures, at lower pressures.  Felt very robust, but still had to pick a line between chunks of gravel/slate.  These Deltas are pretty heavyweight, so back on Paselas, for non gravel now...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

whosatthewheel

« Reply #43 on: 07 November, 2018, 03:55:28 pm »
On the Claerwen track I would have had concerns if on my usual Pasela PT 28s, but instead rode 32mm schwalbe Delta cruiser plus tures, at lower pressures.  Felt very robust, but still had to pick a line between chunks of gravel/slate.  These Deltas are pretty heavyweight, so back on Paselas, for non gravel...

If you want I have a pair of Pasela TG folding (the posh ones) 32 mm with tan walls and very little mileage that I am happy to sell for not very much

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #44 on: 07 November, 2018, 07:02:10 pm »
Most of the people that I spotted with visitations on the Claerwen reservoir track seemed to be on relatively wide tyres.  I could well be wrong but I decided that this was probably because they were hammering along whereas I felt the need to pick my line fairly carefully on my 28mm Conti 4 seasons.
I think there's some sense in that! I rode that section twice this year, both visitation free, very different rides:
- April, recce on a tour with 25mm tyres. Rode VERY steadily, picking my way between the biggest stuff (and had to take my shoes/socks off for the ford)
- TINAT, on 35mm slick-ish tyres. Rode a lot faster, just keeping an eye out for really massive rocks. Actually enjoyed the scenery :)

In generally, bigger tyres will be more resistant, if only from pinch flats. [Many variable apply, don't sue me ... ]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

chillmoister

• King of Compton
« Reply #45 on: 08 November, 2018, 01:30:19 pm »
I think there's some sense in that! I rode that section twice this year, both visitation free, very different rides:
- April, recce on a tour with 25mm tyres. Rode VERY steadily, picking my way between the biggest stuff (and had to take my shoes/socks off for the ford)
- TINAT, on 35mm slick-ish tyres. Rode a lot faster, just keeping an eye out for really massive rocks. Actually enjoyed the scenery :)

In generally, bigger tyres will be more resistant, if only from pinch flats. [Many variable apply, don't sue me ... ]

there was possibly the complete range of tyre width/sizes (almost!) being used on the TINAT 400 that I rode.  I was riding on 32mm gravel kings  and my wheelman Auz on 28mm conti's.  We took it steady, picked a careful line and tried to be as light on the saddle as possible and got round with no visitations.  Plenty of folks went storming passed us on the Claerwen reservoir track .....and we saw plenty of those folks fixing visitations a bit further down the track! Therefore I think the key is: picking a careful line, distributing ones weight evenly as possible and trying not to throw up stone and rocks. 
appearing in a tea room near you

« Reply #46 on: 08 November, 2018, 04:23:38 pm »
If you want I have a pair of Pasela TG folding (the posh ones) 32 mm with tan walls and very little mileage that I am happy to sell for not very much

Thanks for the offer, but I have some OK Pasela TG 32s waiting patiently on the shelf.

PS. didn't use them on TINAT mainly because of risk of damage to not hugely robust sidewalls.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #47 on: 08 November, 2018, 09:04:26 pm »
I used 40c Marathon Almotions (which I use everywhere anyway) on the 600 and had no problems, although I was pretty worried on the Claerwen track that one of the chunks would get me.  I heard of several other people who had had problems even on large tyres.

« Reply #48 on: 19 December, 2018, 05:18:11 pm »
Just spotted that these rides are in the aukweb calendar and the 400k is showing as full already (although the enter button is still visible).  Did I miss the announcement?

« Reply #49 on: 19 December, 2018, 06:20:41 pm »
That looks like it's been duplicated over from last year, so probably a cockup.