Author Topic: Q for London-based lactose and gluten intolerants please?  (Read 2788 times)

Q for London-based lactose and gluten intolerants please?
« on: 24 April, 2008, 01:55:47 pm »
Hi,

I'll be making a few visits to London in July and August visiting primarily the Central Criminal Court.  I will be in the gallery, not the dock!

The lady I will be accompanying is lactose and gluten intolerant.  I'd like to be able to make sure we can lunch in the area if possible.

Any recommendations from you locals would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Q for London-based lactose and gluten intolerants please?
« Reply #1 on: 24 April, 2008, 10:25:43 pm »
Nowhere seems to jump out as being specifically geared in that direction - lots of pubs and chain eateries, however there is a M+S up the hill towards St. Pauls in Paternoster Square, may have something, might be worth checking out.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Ant

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #2 on: 25 April, 2008, 09:50:46 am »
This  may be a bit far, but the World Food Cafe in Neal's Yard, Covent Garden does a wide selection of veggie and vegan food.

« Reply #3 on: 25 April, 2008, 04:39:25 pm »
This  may be a bit far, but the World Food Cafe in Neal's Yard, Covent Garden does a wide selection of veggie and vegan food.

Yebbut a lot of cheese, yoghurt, butter - my boss is lactose/gluten intolerant, tends to eat Chinese without the noodles.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #4 on: 25 April, 2008, 09:00:56 pm »

Yebbut a lot of cheese, yoghurt, butter - my boss is lactose/gluten intolerant, tends to eat Chinese without the noodles.

And the vegan options?

I don't do cow milk stuff but can always find more than one option to suit me there.

Alternatively how about the Japan Centre at 212 Piccadilly, another eaterie I frequent when I am visiting town.

« Reply #5 on: 25 April, 2008, 09:05:11 pm »
Clare,

Two great possibilities.

Thank you very much.  Chinese is off the agenda also.  Plain dislike.

Any other ideas gratefully considered  :)

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #6 on: 25 April, 2008, 10:59:51 pm »
Of the two I think you'd get a better choice at the Japan Centre. My knowledge of gluten intolerance is zero, but WFC often has bread, bulgar wheat or pasta as part of their dishes, I think I have heard customers ask to replace A with B in their order, but I can't say for definite.
Is rice OK (told you I know nothing about it)? I was going to suggest finding an Indian restaurant, but Vernon has just pointed out that they may cook their food in ghee, which would be a no-no.

We've just noticed that the soy sauce we have in our cupboard contains wheat, so maybe the Japan Centre isn't such a good idea and if you do go there don't choose Fu (gluten sponge cake).