Author Topic: Cyano-acrylate Glue (E.g. Loctite)  (Read 2574 times)

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
Cyano-acrylate Glue (E.g. Loctite)
« on: 02 May, 2008, 07:12:11 pm »
If one gets a drop of this glue on one's finger, what is the best way of removing it?  Without sticking to the thing doing the removing?

I ask purely for informationnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Re: Cyano-acrylate Glue (E.g. Loctite)
« Reply #1 on: 02 May, 2008, 07:24:57 pm »
Let it dry, leave the skin to flake off over the next day or so.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Pete

« Reply #2 on: 02 May, 2008, 07:42:27 pm »
If it's still wet and you haven't touched (and bonded yourself to  :o ) anything else, rinse asap under plenty of running water.  The glue will become less potent: in due course it will set and form a whitish 'skin' which can be rubbed off.

If you have stuck yourself to something, you can still gently peel yourself away by gentle application of a blunt knife or similar implement, and lots of warm soapy water.

Medical superglue (the type used for closing up wounds) is more persistent and needs special treatment - probably best to go to A&E.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #3 on: 02 May, 2008, 09:17:20 pm »
Not a bad idea to have a bottle of superglue remover or "debonder" standing by whenever you do any supergluing.  I don't think you're meant to paint it on your fingers, but it does work.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #4 on: 02 May, 2008, 09:19:58 pm »
Acetone (nail polish remover).
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #5 on: 03 May, 2008, 07:24:02 am »

Medical superglue (the type used for closing up wounds) is more persistent and needs special treatment - probably best to go to A&E.

As long as you don't have to drag your whole house with you.  ;D

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #6 on: 03 May, 2008, 02:35:56 pm »
Acetone here too. But I usually leave it there for a few days as a reminder.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Zoidburg

« Reply #7 on: 03 May, 2008, 09:40:49 pm »
Depending on how rough your hands are, and this is a bit iffy, you can just sand/scrape it off

I sliced through the tip of my thumb with a jet cut saw the other week, I felt it happen but the saw was bloody sharp so it didnt hurt, I though "this is going to bleed like buggery" then I realised that I had shaved the 3mm of caloused skin on the end of my thumb off

No blood :D

If you have soft office hands though you better leave it

« Reply #8 on: 08 May, 2008, 03:16:06 pm »
If not dried, soap and water works well enough.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Tiger

« Reply #9 on: 12 May, 2008, 06:58:05 pm »
If you have glued yourself to yourself you can sort it out with a good sharp scalpel - as long as you g=have a steady hand and nerves of steel. Slip the blade in between the glued parts and very gently saw. You may need to dab some blood away if you flinch at all, and you will be left with eg no fingerprint or a raw patch but you will have a very engrossing experience.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #10 on: 13 May, 2008, 06:28:36 pm »
Thanks all.  I realised I was in trouble when I saw a hemi-spherical droplet of still-wet glue on my finger.  So I ran it under the tap, and the glue crusted nicely (no longer a risk of sticking to anything/anyone else), and the residue came off a few hours later.

Not sure I could perform surgery on myself though (with scalpel etc).  I might twitch if the phone rang while half-way through the operation.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip