Author Topic: Late to the digital party.  (Read 2716 times)

mr endon

Late to the digital party.
« on: 02 May, 2008, 07:29:10 pm »
So I weakened and got an mp3 player, the Sony NWD-B105, on Pumpe's recommendation.
Very... very... (help me out with a suitably geeky superlative, someone)..
But it's already taken me beyond the margins of my techy competence. I know how to transfer mp3 format files from my PC to the player. But how do I convert tracks from CDs into transferable mp3 format?
I've got Windows media player, Real player, and the basic Roxio program which came bundled with this PC. The latter seems to make it explicit that in order to convert music files to mp3 I must buy an upgrade. So I've been clicking around in the other 2 without much progress.
This should be simple, no?

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
Re: Late to the digital party.
« Reply #1 on: 02 May, 2008, 07:36:42 pm »
l33t is the word.

Drag and drop your MP3 files onto the player through Windows Explorer ie click on My Computer and then find the icon for the player and drag it on. I think you can organise into folders if you want.

To encode your CDs to MP3s, you'll need to stick your CD in the PC and open up Windows Media Player, in the settings somewhere is the option to either copy using WMV or MP3 format. Select MP3, click on the CD tab/button/drop down list and click on the import button.

Yes it's quite straightforward :)
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2 on: 02 May, 2008, 09:24:53 pm »
I use Blade's MP3 Encoder, which I can e-mail you if you like.  It's optimised for 256kbps and better.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #3 on: 02 May, 2008, 09:28:18 pm »
Exact Audio Copy is good for making MP3s from CDs.  You can download it free.

Can anyone recommend a good free program to convert FLAC to VBR MP3?
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

mr endon

« Reply #4 on: 02 May, 2008, 09:37:03 pm »
I use Blade's MP3 Encoder...
that Wesley Snipes is a bit of a dark horse.

I've found the 'save in mp3' (or wav or wma) format option in real player, so am good to go.
Do these alternatives confer any real advantages, do you think?

« Reply #5 on: 02 May, 2008, 10:40:23 pm »
Check your Windows Media Player: Strat it; check under Rip and look for mp3 format; tick the box and then rip the CD; then once the files are on your machine, plug your mp3 player (a window should open on the RHS); drag and drop in the mp3 player window on the RHS and hit Sync at the bottom to initiate the transfer.

I bought the same mp3 BTW; great little package for the money!
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

Dave

« Reply #6 on: 02 May, 2008, 10:46:43 pm »
Try dBpoweramp

Very good. Uses LAME as it's MP3 converter (A Very Good Thing - please don't use Blade or WMP, MP3s sound bad enough as it is...) and, Biggsy, you can convert FLACs to MP3s using it :thumbsup:

« Reply #7 on: 05 May, 2008, 09:10:47 pm »
There is a 'rip' tab in windows media which allows you to 'rip' (convert cd to mp3). 

« Reply #8 on: 06 May, 2008, 12:08:31 am »
EAC and LAME but there again I am a bit anal about these things. CDex is pretty good and easy to use if your not too bothered about what goes on under the hood.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #9 on: 06 May, 2008, 08:06:08 am »
I use FLACer for FLAC>MP3 conversion. Not pretty but it works and is free! Can't remember where it's from but Google is your friend :)

« Reply #10 on: 06 May, 2008, 08:52:24 am »
If you have IT Special needs then avoid all the other ripping (encoding) programmes like Lame etc.  They will only serve to confuse. 

When you bung an audio CD in your pc drive you may get a box appear with options, one of which may be 'Rip using Windows Media'.  Take this option but take note of where WM will save the newly ripped mp3 file to. (you can change this file in the WM rip settings)