Author Topic: The ACME/MEMWNS Bivvy Night 2018  (Read 12845 times)

Re: The ACME/MEMWNS Bivvy Night 2018
« Reply #50 on: 31 August, 2018, 03:08:47 pm »
IIRC there is a track not far round the corner from cudmore you can use

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #51 on: 31 August, 2018, 03:12:00 pm »
IIRC there is a track not far round the corner from cudmore you can use

Yeah, there looks like lots of options. 

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #52 on: 01 September, 2018, 05:21:47 pm »
Quick summary - been busy this afternoon, going out soon:

Beer, good company thank you Johnny Faro and Oscar's Dad. Cheers for the ACME supporters send-off from the spoons: Beer Fuelled Commuter, Oaky & Acorn 1, Carlosfandango, and Trainman Bri too. Comedy Off-Roading, nettles, no prangs, more BEER, bemused locals, mud-by-moonlight, cold but just about ok. Stoves at dawn, no sand in the tea. Lovely clear sunrise, curlews calling, boats heading out of the Colne. Super-massive Breakfast at Mo's in Tiptree. Blackberry feast in Felsted. 81 miles for the round trip.

We must do another one this autumn  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

« Reply #53 on: 02 September, 2018, 07:18:41 pm »
Twas a late summers eve when three intrepid explorers waved off by a motley crew set forth from the JD Weather spoons. Careful thought had been put into this route as to take a rather indirect route. We soon sallied forth up Wickham Bishops Hill but diverted off via millionaires lane. Onwards we proceeded until in need of light refreshments we stumbled into the Bell. After an Essex energy drink and the usual educational conversations the brave trio set forth again. The three sections of COR on this journey are slightly mixed in my memories as to which came first but think the first which was noted for its reasonable conditions under wheel and it nettles overground, the second was noted for being fairly pleasant to start with but then rather grim due to the dried ridges in it. These came somewhere around the first stop at the bell......after leaving the bell we had a pleasant ride on what we're now dark roads and for me enjoying my Dyno lighting and OD noticing this and the fact I've still got his spare front wheel. Shortly before our last scheduled stop Tomsk realised the horror of the track we were about to be lead up by OD and abandoned the gentlemen's pace we had proceeded at for something more akin to a time trial. Alas despite ignoring us shouting at him he was forced to return for COR stage 3. This was mostly a rutted strip of grass with a liberal splattering of sticks and other obstacles. OD disappeared off in front, possibly to avoid being linched but eventually we all emerged back onto tarmac. This was referred to as type 2 fun which I guess means not in the slightest bit fun. At least it was then just a short jaunt for another energy drink at the Peldon rose getting in not long before chucking up time. Suitably refreshed was then just a few miles, one fence, a field, a sea wall and we had reached our destination. A quick hot drink and after seeking reassurance from Tomsk that we were above the tide line we all settled down for a rather chilly and damp from mist/dew/condensation but not the sea sleep.

After a morning snack, brew and in OD's case walk with a trowel we had a more direct route to Mo's cafe for a rather large breakfast. My legs were feeling it so while the other two went to Tesco loos to spruce up I set off at just below a crawl and through our planning/luck we all rolled into town at the same time.

All in all a brilliant start to the weekend and despite being home by 9am really felt like it had extended the weekend. Will definitely have to try and get another one in soon although will get a better bivvy bag.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #54 on: 02 September, 2018, 11:33:50 pm »
Tomsk and Johnny have done a great job with the words so I will add mostly pictures.  Blowing my own trumpet for a moment, I have to say MY ROUTE was one of the best I've come up with in a long time, nice quiet roads in the main and three superb sections of COR, the last of which was quite challenging  :thumbsup:

Fred all packed and raring to go...

At The Bell, Tolleshunt Major...

Some COR, just before it got a bit gnarly...

Ready for bed complete with Horlicks and Southern Comfort...

The next morning, sunrise over Brightlingsea, breakfast #1...

Breakfast at Tiffany's Mo's...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #55 on: 01 October, 2018, 12:14:01 pm »
We need another bivvy night before the end of 2018.  jibers is suggesting the end of October as he's waiting for a fancy new sleeping bag to arrive from China.  That suits me as October is looking busy.  Anyone else interested???

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #56 on: 01 October, 2018, 07:47:03 pm »
Possibly ... Got a couple of those Audaxes booked the last two Saturdays though - Debenham and Cambs Autumnals. 12/13th is ok.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #57 on: 02 October, 2018, 12:49:16 am »
Possibly ... Got a couple of those Audaxes booked the last two Saturdays though - Debenham and Cambs Autumnals. 12/13th is ok.

How does your November look Tomsk?

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #58 on: 02 October, 2018, 09:08:18 am »

How does your November look Tomsk?

The second weekend is clear [9/10/11th], others are occupied with 3Rs & Awards Evening [3rd], PBP Pubinar [24th] and I was planning a Helpers Ride for my 100km on 17th, though instead it could be on 24th too.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #59 on: 02 October, 2018, 09:13:33 am »
Friday 9th November works for me.  How about the rest of the world?  jibers?

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #60 on: 02 October, 2018, 09:16:18 am »
Yeah assuming I've got the bag and it's ok then that should work
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #61 on: 04 October, 2018, 11:20:58 am »
Friday 9th November works for me.  How about the rest of the world?  jibers?

9th November is confirmed  :thumbsup:

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #62 on: 04 October, 2018, 01:47:58 pm »
Well that was a nice surprise!

New bag has arrived on the slightly faster boat than expected from China.... just tried it out on the landing (and managed to avoid falling down the stairs!).... needs an outside test which I might conduct in the coming week as it's hard to tell if it is warmer or not  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #63 on: 04 October, 2018, 02:30:08 pm »
Well that was a nice surprise!

New bag has arrived on the slightly faster boat than expected from China.... just tried it out on the landing (and managed to avoid falling down the stairs!).... needs an outside test which I might conduct in the coming week as it's hard to tell if it is warmer or not  :thumbsup:

Hooray!

Remind me where we're going.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #64 on: 04 October, 2018, 05:13:00 pm »
It's almost winter - so why not a naturist beach!???  :facepalm:
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #65 on: 04 October, 2018, 05:26:48 pm »

I'm game if you are.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #66 on: 04 October, 2018, 05:32:03 pm »

I'm game if you are.

I'm worried about your bivvy selfies now.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oscar's dad

« Reply #67 on: 04 October, 2018, 05:33:20 pm »

I'm game if you are.

I'm worried about your bivvy selfies now.

Baring ( ;D geddit?) in mind we're talking about chilly November there wouldn't be much to see.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #68 on: 17 October, 2018, 05:27:11 pm »
Oh, ah ... it seems someone has booked something on Friday evening without consulting me!  ::-)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #69 on: 17 October, 2018, 06:06:40 pm »
Oh, ah ... it seems someone has booked something on Friday evening without consulting me!  ::-)

Oh no, not good!

BTW, we still need to decide where we are going to bivvy.  Perhaps something else to discuss this evening, anything to avoid talking about some obscure AUK rule  ::-)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #70 on: 31 October, 2018, 10:52:30 am »
So, this mini-adventure is scheduled for a week on Friday (9th).

Firstly, who is coming along?

Secondly, we still need a bivvy spot.  I have been studying satellite imagery (DISCLAIMER: everything looks better from space) and there looks like some likely spots on the shore by Goldhanger Sailing Club.  This means we could enjoy a night cap at The Chequers.  Any alternative thoughts?   

« Reply #71 on: 31 October, 2018, 12:46:23 pm »
there looks like some likely spots on the shore by Goldhanger Sailing Club

Low tide is at 7:30pm, so there'll be plenty of extra space to spread out in ...

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Oscar's dad

« Reply #72 on: 01 November, 2018, 02:53:07 pm »
As a point of discussion if nothing else what do we think of THIS ROUTE PROPOSAL?

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #73 on: 01 November, 2018, 03:47:24 pm »
As a point of discussion if nothing else what do we think of THIS ROUTE PROPOSAL?

It seems to be up to your usual standard of switchback awfulness......so plenty of scope to take a shortcut or two.

Which hostelries apart from the 'spoons and the Chequers may we be visiting?

Is there an early morning cafe in Heybridge/Maldon?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #74 on: 01 November, 2018, 03:53:03 pm »
Which hostelries apart from the 'spoons and the Chequers may we be visiting?

Too many to list!