Author Topic: Dunwich Dynamo 30 June - 1 July 2012  (Read 53801 times)

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
Re: Dunwich Dynamo 30 June - 1 July 2012
« Reply #400 on: 05 July, 2012, 06:39:40 pm »
The Brompton is still the only bike I've ever done any sort of long ride on. At some point I might try it on a full size bike to see how much harder work it is.

:P

It's certainly harder to get home on a full-sized - so a B is a bit of a winner on the Dun Run!
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #401 on: 05 July, 2012, 07:58:25 pm »
I did a coastdown test against a conventional bike and decided the Brom would be Hard Work.

Really?  That's interesting: during the ride I was constantly freewheeling and braking to keep away from the back wheel of the guy in front, both when they were freewheeling and when they were pedalling!  We'd be travelling the same speed, but they would slow-down quicker. Maybe it was the drafting effect, but when I was in front then I didn't notice the riders behind having to do that as often. What I did notice on the London-Cambridge last year was we had a head wind and the B's upright position meant I was exposed and I was MUCH more tired after that ride than after the Dynamo, even though it's only half the distance (maybe it was the lack of bacon buttie midway).

IIRC, my B became more sprightly when I swapped the (then) stock normal elastomer for the (now stock) firm one last year, which tightened the feel of the bike up a lot; I got the rear pivot bushings done about the same time, which also helped.  Have you tried the firm?  I also have my Schwalbe Marathons pumped up really hard -- I am loath to go to Kojaks, because I don't think they look as nice (too skinny) and I am worried that the much smaller profile will lead to lots more punctures -- I hit a lot of potholes on the ride, because I am not used to the hand signals coming back from the lead cyclists, but thankfully I didn't puncture.

I do wonder what it would be like to do any long distance on a "proper" road bike, but to be honest, I like the quirky nature of the B and I think there's more kudos (unless you're on le Tour) in doing any long ride on something a bit different, like that guy on the Boris Bike last year and the girl on the Ordinary/Penny Farthing back in 2010 -- now those sound like HARD to me!
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #402 on: 05 July, 2012, 08:09:51 pm »
I have Kojak folding tyres and the firm elastomer with a jubilee clip.  TBH, I think it rolls better on the old Stelvios or even the Marathon Pluses; I'm very disappointed withe the Kojaks.  What I do have is an AM medium-ratio three-speed hub, which is perfect for the Dun Run's mild hills - 52", 60" and 69" gears.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #403 on: 05 July, 2012, 09:16:25 pm »
I have just logged a couple of rides in my "Eddington number" file. This year's Dun Run, involving a total of 147.34 miles from home and back again, was my longest ever. Previous best: 145.79, which was in Sept 2008 and may possibly have been the Anfractuous plus assorted toing and froing.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #404 on: 05 July, 2012, 09:33:31 pm »
I have Kojak folding tyres and the firm elastomer with a jubilee clip.  TBH, I think it rolls better on the old Stelvios or even the Marathon Pluses; I'm very disappointed withe the Kojaks.  What I do have is an AM medium-ratio three-speed hub, which is perfect for the Dun Run's mild hills - 52", 60" and 69" gears.

I have the stock SRAM in the six-speed configuration with the +8% option (54T). According to Sheldon Brown's Calculator that's something like 42.5" to 90.9" spread fairly evenly, but I found the short end to be not short enough towards the end (tired legs).  Or Sheldon's Calculator's not correct ... (http://sheldonbrown.com/gears/)

« Reply #405 on: 06 July, 2012, 06:22:43 am »

I do wonder what it would be like to do any long distance on a "proper" road bike, but to be honest, I like the quirky nature of the B and I think there's more kudos (unless you're on le Tour) in doing any long ride on something a bit different, like that guy on the Boris Bike last year and the girl on the Ordinary/Penny Farthing back in 2010 -- now those sound like HARD to me!

Think you might mean 2009 .... http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5870.msg378381#msg378381, http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5870.msg377042#msg377042

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #406 on: 06 July, 2012, 09:25:21 am »
Think you might mean 2009

Chapeau!  A PROPER fixie -- TOTAL respect!

« Reply #407 on: 06 July, 2012, 11:34:53 am »
I do wonder what it would be like to do any long distance on a "proper" road bike, but to be honest, I like the quirky nature of the B and I think there's more kudos (unless you're on le Tour) in doing any long ride on something a bit different,  _snip_ and the girl on the Ordinary/Penny Farthing back in 2010 -- now those sound like HARD to me!

That was our Charlotte that was  :D
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark