General Category > Tandems

Landscape Tandem

(1/3) > >>

tyrelever:
Looking to replace a Dawes Galaxy Twin with a new tandem. Options seem to be rather limited Roberts are no longer in business and Mercian and Longstaffe have very long waiting times.
Have been looking at Landscape as an off-the-peg option, does anyone have any experience of their aluminium based frame either with aluminium or carbon forks?

Russell:
We were hoping for a Roberts but placed the order just as he folded so ended up replacing our Galaxy, well n+1 anyway, with an Orbit Lightning Titanium https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=98001.0 from JD Cycles.  'Off the Peg' but with custom build options.  My belief is that Mercian and Longstaffe are not really equivalents of Orbit or Landescape being custom touring machines and also more expensive.

We considered the Landescape but as I am not a fan of aluminium and there were some detail points about the Landescape that I was not keen on.

However 321up of this parish has a Landescape and has commented as follows:

--- Quote ---The Landescape 'Direct Lateral' frameset (Aluminium) is a little over three times the price of the Dolan frameset but is definitely worth the extra cost.  The Landescape is made to measure and the design + construction quality looks much better.  The Landescape forks have a disc mount, lowrider carrier bosses and they even fitted cantilever bosses at my request (I've fitted TRP CX9 direct pull front brakes which performed very well when tested down a number of 1:3 hills last weekend).  The Landescape forks seem more robust than the Dolan forks, but still a lot more comfortable than the steel forks on our Orbit which give a very harsh ride.  The Landescape is spaced for a 145mm rear wheel.  Our Landescape has been built much longer at the back with a conventional telescopic stokers stem.  We had a choice of colours for the Landescape.  We are looking forward to trying out the Dolan on some longer rides, if the short stokers stem compensates for it being short at the back and the 35mm offset seat posts compensate for the frame angle then it could be fast fun machine to ride - if that shorter geometry works for us then we could be tempted to apply it with a few modifications to another made to measure frame in future.  I'll do a more detailed comparison article on the three frames when I have time.
--- End quote ---

Russell

tyrelever:
Russell
Thanks for your reply, having had originally an Orbit with step-down frame and twin laterals made with 531c which was very flexible,was not keen to look at Orbit agiain.
However clearly they are now a different entity offering what looks like an interesting range, will certainly be giving it more thought.
Tim

The French Tandem:
+1 for JD tandems for their quality of service. We have no experience of their off the peg Orbit frames, but after 4 years now, we are still very happy with our custom built Reynolds frame. We had several issues with chainsets and hubs, and each time, Ruth was very helpful.

Alismed:
There is the opportunity to try Landescape and Comotion tandems at the tandem shop at Coalbrookdale. We found the Comotion to be superior but out of our price range so considered a custom Landescape to be a realistic option (until we bought a second hand Cannondale which is lovely!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version