General Category > Folders

Brompton Voluntary Recall for Bottom Bracket

(1/4) > >>

dim:
VOLUNTARY RECALL NOTICE FAG Bottom Bracket cartridge BB66 (April 2014 – May 2017)

https://www.brompton.com/recall

ACyclingRooster:
Hi dim.  Although I don't have a Brompton I personally would be interested in knowing exactly what the failure in the Bottom Bracket Cartridge amounts to.

I recentlly had a rather unpleasant experience with a seller off of E'bay when I purchased a 103mm bottom bracket only to find after a three week wait for it to arrive that it was faulty.

The spindle was rather tight and repeatedly clicked when turned with ones fingers.

I had several attemps to get it either changed or to be refunded. After several offers that did not add-up I told the seller that I would refer it to E'bay Customer Services and also that I had not yet put Feedback onto the site.

I was refunded in full a few days later.

Albeit the cartridge was made somewhere in the Far East.

Jakob W:
From reports elsewhere I think it was spindle failures - I saw at least one photo of someone who had their chainset drop off.

Veloman:

--- Quote from: ACyclingRooster on 28 September, 2017, 10:40:04 am ---Hi dim.  Although I don't have a Brompton I personally would be interested in knowing exactly what the failure in the Bottom Bracket Cartridge amounts to.
--- End quote ---

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/sep/28/brompton-recalls-nearly-150000-folding-bicycles-axle-failures

Sounds like standard spindle failure rather than anything else.

--- Quote from: ACyclingRooster on 28 September, 2017, 10:40:04 am ---I recentlly had a rather unpleasant experience with a seller off of E'bay when I purchased a 103mm bottom bracket only to find after a three week wait for it to arrive that it was faulty.

--- End quote ---

Was it not available from the likes of SJC, Wiggle, Ribble or even the local bike shop?  While some folk on e-bay might be cheaper, I would much rather use the LBS (who will price match) or even the more reputable online retailers.

Anyway, jus arranging for my Brompton to have a new BB fitted.

ACyclingRooster:
Hi Veloman. I had looked firstly at my LBS and they did not carry such a short one and the only one that I came-up with in the UK was really stupid money - I am on a pension and fixed income so every penny really does count.

In the end I did order from an E'bay UK source and only to find that it was made in Taiwan but ended-up paying a mere 31p extra for it.

The first search did not show what the later search showed albeity there was a three+ weeks gap between.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version