General Category > Freewheeling

Boneshaker mag closing?

(1/4) > >>

Jakob W:
I could have sworn I had an email about the latest issue the other day, but I couldn't find it, so checked the website. The latest issue of Boneshaker is indeed out, but it's going to be the last one. A pity - I always enjoyed it. With this, Spin Cycle, and the Ride Journal gone, I'm not sure there are any (UK) mags left in this (longform, artsy, eclectic) niche. Does anyone on here know more about why they called it quits? Was it just that they felt 20 issues was a natural end point, or something else?

nikki:
Chatting to one of the contributors a few nights ago, I understand it might be switching to digital only. Print faff and that.  :(

I've just ordered a load of the remaining in-stock issues, as they are things of beauty.

Jakob W:
Boo! As I said in another thread, I'd have thought Boneshaker was the kind of niche enthusiast publication whose readership would appreciate decent print production values. I'll have to order a couple of issues myself.

citoyen:
I suspect the simple answer is that longform, artsy, eclectic is not a viable business model.

Out of interest, what's the highest cover price you would be willing to pay regularly for your decent print production values?

Jakob W:

--- Quote from: citoyen on 12 December, 2017, 01:58:19 am ---I suspect the simple answer is that longform, artsy, eclectic is not a viable business model.

Out of interest, what's the highest cover price you would be willing to pay regularly for your decent print production values?

--- End quote ---

As a major profit-maker, I suspect you're right, sad though that is; the thing that made me think it might be viable is that I understood the mag was run by a collective of illustrators &c. as a side gig, and so the required level of profit was lower. Given how visual it is, I think the print side is important; I'm certainly far less likely to buy a PDF.

Pricing obviously depends to an extent on size and frequency - my books and entertainment budget is, alas, finite - but for high-quality stuff I'm happy to pay a tenner or so. I subscribe to a couple of publications that are quarterly or biannual, and there's a couple of others where I'll pick up individual issues.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version