General Category > Freewheeling

E bikes - 'the next big thing'

(1/18) > >>

Tigerrr:
Most 'cyclists' tend to sneer a bit at  e bikes. I am a fan, my home-brew conversion was excellent when I hurt myself and I now have 2 of them, as well as road and recumbent.
I am down in Costa Blanca. Lots of bike bikes - they are the main form of transport in Calpe it seems. Spoke with cycle shop owner. He said he sold 400 last year from one shop and is opening another. 'The  e bike is saving the industry' he said, now that mTB is over, and road bikes have peaked.
I would have thought perfect for the UK - but they are still a rarity, I wonder if that will change.

T42:

--- Quote from: Tigerrr on 13 February, 2018, 07:15:29 am --- 'The  e bike is saving the industry' he said, now that mTB is over, and road bikes have peaked.

--- End quote ---

I'm all for saving the industry, so good.  I'm wondering about MTB being over and road bikes having peaked, though:  my general impression is that purchasing power has peaked and nobody has as much cash to spare on new bikes. My favourite patisserie recently reduced its opening hours and the range of goods on offer, and when folk stop eating cake the world is about to end.

frankly frankie:
I don't notice many people on here 'sneering' at e-bikes.  They clearly fill a need and seem more attractive to some than mopeds, probably because they are less regulated (so far).

Si S:
I'm a fan, especially when I encounter one in a bastard headwind on a Friday night. I do think a clampdown is inevitable though as there seems to be more and more de-restricted throttle only conversions about. 

Ian H:
Historically:  the first cars were exhibited at bike shows, then grew in popularity to warrant their own laws, shows, dealers, magazines, etc.

In the 60s and 70s mopeds were very popular, and cycling declined (from a revenue perspective) to the point that Cycling (Weekly) was briefly renamed Cycling & Mopeds.  Again, the two drifted apart as mopeds became more regulated in a similar manner to motorbikes (and became more motorbike-like).

So what happens with E-bikes?  Will they stay as premium utility bikes?  There seems to be quite a trend for E-MTBs.  I was surprised by the number of E-bikes and electric conversions at the Semaine Federale last year.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version