General Category > Velo Fixe

Dome headed Allen bolts for a fixed hub

(1/4) > >>

Nelson Longflap:
The wheels on my Genesis Day One fixed are held on with m6 dome headed Allen bolts 25-30mm long. One of which has been removed and replaced enough times with Allen keys of variable quality that the socket head is now sloppy. Can anybody point me to a source for these bolts please? Local bike shops don't stock them, nor generic suppliers like screwfix. Cap-headed bolts are easy to source; I could use these combined with suitable washers but am looking for a like for like replacement if possible. Best quality would be good. I don't mind buying two or four for future-proofing.

Given the choice I'd prefer proper track nuts, but the Allen bolts perform ok, until worn out, and it seems daft to discard a wheel for the sake of a bolt!

TIA

pcolbeck:
This ebay store does them reasonably cheaply in different lengths.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M6-Flange-Bolts-Button-Dome-Head-Bolts-Allen-Screws-Made-From-A2-Stainless-Steel-/111419417922

Not sure if A2 grade steel is OK for this application but maybe someone else knows?

Nelson Longflap:
Thanks pcolbeck, I don't know what A2 stainless means either (I've also seen A4). If I'm being picky (which I am) I'd prefer no flanges in order to match the originals. (And £1.20 for the bolts, plus £13.95 postage highlights a disadvantage of online shopping!) As I said I could bodge cap head bolts to fit, but they wouldn't look as sleek as the dome headed ones ...

LittleWheelsandBig:
A2 is 304, A4 is 316.

316 is generally more corrosion resistant than 304 but slightly more brittle. Most 316 bolts are somewhat stronger than most 304 bolts but there is a lot of overlap.

Nelson Longflap:
Thanks for the tutorial LWaB 👍 - it looks like A4/316 is preferable, given a choice.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version