General Category > The Dark Side

Elbow pad choice

(1/4) > >>

fd3:
I had hoped to spend much less on them, so now I need to have a clue as to which ones to buy.  Do I go for kevlar/padded cloth types or the ones with the hard shell?  My first thought is that a hard shell will allow a longer skid so less impact.

andytheflyer:
Hi, I thought long and hard about this after a relatively low speed off on a gravelly country lane did a lot of damage to my left elbow.

I bought some Race Face D30 pads which seem fine.  I also have a cheapo pair off eBay with more of a cut-out in the fabric sleeve on the inside of the elbow in an attempt to get a bit more cooling.

I can't see the need for the hard shell versions as an impact is likely to be a slide, so you need a bit of padding to absorb the impact, plus something to take the wear as you come to a halt.  Depending upon the severity of the incident, these may be a throw-away item!

They need to be comfortable and not too tight as you are riding with your arms quite bent (on my hamster-barred Performers anyway) and the pads can bunch up a bit on the inside of the elbow.  They are also a bit hot and sweaty on hot days.  But, seeing the damage to my elbow (no, you really don't....) that's a small price to pay.  Having had an infection inside my shoulder after surgery (like 17 days on an intravenous antibiotic drip), I was very worried about a similar infection inside the elbow joint.  Fortunately, the joint encapsulation wasn't compromised and all I have now are the scars.

Having said all that, I've not had an off in the 2 years since.  (Goes off to find some wood.....)

And yes, the SAKI was fine, thanks for asking.  Unlike my bib shorts.

fd3:
First, and most importantly, I'm glad the bike is ok!

The hard-shell will be less breathable, but the kevlar will be thicker, maybe have more gaps on the other side as they have attaching straps, not a sleeve.  Hmmm, at £10 difference there's not that much in it.  I reckon the hard shell would be better for learning as it will feel safer, the sleeves are more likely to be worn on a regular basis over the next 3+ years...

Kim:
I was going to ask, is this for racing / off-roading / learning a new bike / icy conditions, or for general road riding?  I think that's going to make a big difference in the reasonable tradeoff between comfort and protection...

andytheflyer:

--- Quote from: fd3 on 04 June, 2018, 12:44:17 pm ---First, and most importantly, I'm glad the bike is ok!

The hard-shell will be less breathable, but the kevlar will be thicker, maybe have more gaps on the other side as they have attaching straps, not a sleeve.  Hmmm, at £10 difference there's not that much in it.  I reckon the hard shell would be better for learning as it will feel safer, the sleeves are more likely to be worn on a regular basis over the next 3+ years...

--- End quote ---

I'd be wary of the hard shell version as these are made for MTB/BMX, AIUI.  Riders on a DF will have straighter arms (IMHO) that we do on a recumbent, and that may put more tension on the pad straps, resulting in more discomfort.  I don't particularly like wearing my pads as they do feel restrictive, and I suspect that hard shells would be worse - but I do wear them as I would rather my elbows keep working as designed.

I already find my soft pads quite restricting with bent arms and I suspect that a hard shell would be worse. I also find it difficult to believe after a few thousand miles now on recumbents, that a 'soft' pad type protector would not save my elbows in any off that I can conceive.  However, it's your call. Don't forget that if you fall off sideways (the only real option!) you are only going to fall about 2ft (in old money) not the 4 ft or so off a DF, so the magnitude of the impact will inevitably be less than it would in parting compnay witha DF macjine. It's the abrasion resistance you need, commensurate with sufficent in-use comfort to encourage you to wear them.  My elbow scars always remind me to put them on before I go out.

Kim had a big sliding off a few months back, not sure if she wears elbow pads but her input will be valuable in this discussion.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version