General Category > The Dark Side

More affordable luggage

(1/2) > >>

fd3:
So I went for a spin with my 8yo, him on his bike and me on the speedmachine (in an effort to be more connected to his worries about cycling and stuff - use the bike I'm still learning to ride).  Whereas when I go for a ride with my DF I have a saddle pack for tools and a messenger bag if I need to carry lots (or just sling the lock over my handlebars), on the speedmachine I had to lad up my panniers - which are the XL size.
Obviously the cheapest option is just to lump it and stick with oversized pannier bags for storing tools, a quick bite and a lock - but I would ideally like to move to something less flappy.  Bespoke Recumbent luggage makes my eyes bleed at the cost, so I was considering a cheap rack top bag and/or some sort of frame/tri bag. 
Is this a false economy and should I just save up for something that works?  Or should I just strap a Nelson Longflap onto the top of my rear rack and pretend it works?

Kim:
Racktop bags work well on recumbents with rear luggage racks, just like they work well on DFs with rear luggage racks.  I use a Carradice Prima on my Streetmachine for day rides, and an Arkel Tailrider on my Optima Baron.

I have an old Topeak tri-bag mounted 'backwards' on my Streetmachine, on the boom in front of the stem (under-seat steering).  That works well for quick access to nibbles and an inhaler.

Recumbent-specific luggage has its uses, but if the bike will happily take the normal stuff, then it's a lot of extra expense for the same capacity (and often disappointing waterproofness).  Especially if you have upwrongs that you could potentially use the luggage with, too.

Tigerrr:
On my speed machine I used Ortleib front panniers on the rack. Perfect.

Kim:

--- Quote from: Tigerrr on 25 October, 2018, 03:45:11 pm ---On my speed machine I used Ortleib front panniers on the rack. Perfect.

--- End quote ---

That's my next step up from a rack bag, for when I need to carry a change of clothes or whatever.  Works well on almost anything.   :thumbsup:

alexb:
Try Alpkit drybags strapped to the rack with their own straps.
I use a pair of 8 litre bags for light touring, perfect for the basics.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version