General Category > Freewheeling

In praise of balance bikes.

(1/10) > >>

loadsabikes:
A year ago, we bought our grandaughter a Isla Bikes Rothan balance bike for her third birthday.
They are beautifully made, lightweight and with good components that work with small hands.
She has used this bike a lot, gradually improving in confidence and ability.
For her fourth birthday, her parents have bought her the Cnoc 14 Isla.
I took her to the local park for some nice smooth tarmac. She took all of about 5 minutes to get the hang of pedalling and a little more practice to master moving off unaided.
I am totally convinced that her abilities, honed on the balance bike, have made the transition to a "proper" bike almost seemless.
Proud Grandad or what :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

clarion:
Oh absolutely.  Congrats to your g.d. :thumbsup:

And it's in the genes, you know ;)

Notsototalnewbie:
Awww!

The second she is old enough, myself and Rob are plotting to get his sister’s toddler a balance bike. Her parents are petrolheads, so she needs us for…balance, I suppose! She has recently started walking so it can’t be long now, eh!  ;D

(It took me aaaages to get rid of my stabilisers, my parents didn’t know any better but I wouldn’t inflict them on a kid now!)

Wowbagger:
I don't think Martha has really got to grips with her balance bike yet - another Isla Rothan.

Kim:

--- Quote from: Notsototalnewbie on 19 July, 2012, 03:37:00 pm ---(It took me aaaages to get rid of my stabilisers, my parents didn’t know any better but I wouldn’t inflict them on a kid now!)

--- End quote ---

The last time I took someone to the local park to teach them how to ride my 'bent, there was a child with stabilisers (which I suspect had recently been raised) being encouraged to balance properly.

They were just about managing it, until they looked over their shoulder, causing the stabiliser hit the ground and put the steering into trike mode.  At which point they immediately veered into the kerb and suffered a spectacular unplanned dismount.

I had to wonder how we ever managed to learn to ride with the bloody things.  Work of Stan.   :hand:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version