Author Topic: Audax Dreams for the New Season  (Read 51695 times)

Re: Audax Dreams for the New Season
« Reply #100 on: 17 December, 2017, 02:41:19 pm »
Planning a DIY ride - 50km to the barber's, then 50km home again.

Not sure what to call it though... any ideas?

That sounds like it could be a Fantastic Day ?
Another close shave

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

« Reply #101 on: 17 December, 2017, 04:55:04 pm »
To do some Audax (what's the plural of Audax?) For the first time in my working life I don't work weekends. Have hardly cycled last three months for reasons I can neither reason or justify as reasons but hopefully can convince my legs to get me round a 100 especially if I remember to keep them fed

Being a Latin word, the plural would be "Audaces", but you will read "Audax" and "Audaxes" commonly used as plural

Definitely not Audi  :D

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #102 on: 17 December, 2017, 05:54:44 pm »
Audaxen is not unheard of.

Chris S

« Reply #103 on: 17 December, 2017, 07:12:11 pm »
I'm on the ramp, building for PBP 2019, but I'm still having to decide if I hate myself enough for all that 2am self-harm on UK 400s/600s first.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #104 on: 17 December, 2017, 07:12:42 pm »
Definitely not Audi  :D

That's lazy USAnian for 'audiologist'...

« Reply #105 on: 17 December, 2017, 09:08:04 pm »
I'm in the beer sewer at present and can only dream of PBP 2019.
It's all over now as regards relying on past achievements to get me through another endeavour - that's for sure.
I'll need to do some serious work to get in good enough shape to not only complete, but to be there in the first place next time.
We is back at square one.
Question is: can the mind lead the body again?
But as we stand, I'm not so sure. We'll see.
Garry Broad

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #106 on: 18 December, 2017, 09:08:26 am »
I intitially read this as...

I'll need to do some serious work to get in good enough shape to not only compete, but to be there in first place.

Won't we all! :)

My own traditional annual rise from the ashes had a set back yesterday when I totally borked my bike, firstly on the road,  by breaking an arm of the right crank 'spider (who knew that was possible - these things are made of solid metal, right?) then in the workshop, by stripping the internal thread on the left hand crank whilst swapping out the crankset.

Having exhausted my workshop repetoire I'll try leaving the left hand crank in situ with the retaining bolt slack and hope it works loose under the strain of the VAST AMOUNTS OF POWER I obviously generate nowadays.*

*Yes, I ve spotted the downside of this approach, but hopefully a lap or two of the park under controlled conditions will shift it...

hillbilly

« Reply #107 on: 18 December, 2017, 11:41:35 am »
We is back at square one.

It's a common condition...

Terry2wheelz

• terry2wheelz
« Reply #108 on: 18 December, 2017, 02:55:36 pm »
What big or little Audax dreams does anyone have for this new season?

Constant tailwind & pun**ure free season for me please  :thumbsup:
Fatter Riders Bounce Better :-) !

« Reply #109 on: 18 December, 2017, 03:43:31 pm »
Audices?
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #110 on: 18 December, 2017, 04:32:53 pm »
What big or little Audax dreams does anyone have for this new season? :thumbsup:

I'll probably be avoiding anything over 300km but seeking out hillier rides as I need to recover the climbing legs that seem to have deserted me in recent years.  I'm going to be in the Rockies/southern California for a month in the summer so I'm thinking of renting a road bike and trying out some of the more challenging climbs out there.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

whosatthewheel

« Reply #111 on: 18 December, 2017, 04:57:00 pm »
What big or little Audax dreams does anyone have for this new season? :thumbsup:

I'll probably be avoiding anything over 300km but seeking out hillier rides as I need to recover the climbing legs that seem to have deserted me in recent years.  I'm going to be in the Rockies/southern California for a month in the summer so I'm thinking of renting a road bike and trying out some of the more challenging climbs out there.

Highway 198 through Sequoia Park... can't beat it for drama. I only drove up the long and windy road, but I don't recall much traffic at all in April... and I wished I had a bike. Don't know if you have to pay to enter the park with a bicycle

« Reply #112 on: 18 December, 2017, 05:58:52 pm »

I'll need to do some serious work to get in good enough shape to not only compete, but to be there in first place.

My own traditional annual rise from the ashes had a set back yesterday when I totally borked my bike, firstly on the road,  by breaking an arm of the right crank 'spider (who knew that was possible - these things are made of solid metal, right?) then in the workshop, by stripping the internal thread on the left hand crank whilst swapping out the crankset.

Having exhausted my workshop repetoire I'll try leaving the left hand crank in situ with the retaining bolt slack and hope it works loose under the strain of the VAST AMOUNTS OF POWER I obviously generate nowadays.*

*Yes, I ve spotted the downside of this approach, but hopefully a lap or two of the park under controlled conditions will shift it...

Since the axcle is steel and hte crank arm aluminium, heating it and then using a pully puller (available in hardware stores) will do the job.

« Reply #113 on: 19 December, 2017, 07:05:23 am »
Hopefully my first SR series at the third time of trying culminating in the ACME 1000k to make amends for LEL.  But as other posters my fitness is non existent and I will have to see if work plays ball.  Fingers crossed!!

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #114 on: 19 December, 2017, 05:05:47 pm »
Highway 198 through Sequoia Park... can't beat it for drama. I only drove up the long and windy road, but I don't recall much traffic at all in April... and I wished I had a bike. Don't know if you have to pay to enter the park with a bicycle

Looks great. Possibly a bit too far north for where I'm planning to be - a couple of weeks in Colorado/Idaho/Montana before flying to LA and then probably taking a scenic route to San Diego - but that is exactly the kind of road I'm looking for and my plans are evolving by the day.

I should probably save all this stuff for Rides & Touring though  ;)
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #115 on: 19 December, 2017, 05:19:45 pm »
I’ve recovered ( I hope!) from a serious knee tendon injury in May this year and am currently pootling to get in the swing of things again.

God willing I’ll work up to the Lincolnshire Poacher 400 in May 2018, this is the ride my knee blew up on this year so I have some unfinished business  :thumbsup:

A

« Reply #116 on: 19 December, 2017, 05:31:44 pm »
My most important goal = get Mini Bobby to ride a 50k audax. 

Just need to find one near-ish that's not too hilly & has cake - all kids like cake :)

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #117 on: 19 December, 2017, 11:33:09 pm »

Just need to find one near-ish that's not too hilly & has cake - all kids like cake :)

Near-ish to where? 🤔
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

« Reply #118 on: 20 December, 2017, 12:33:05 am »

Near-ish to where? 🤔

Oxfordshire...

IanN

• Voon
« Reply #119 on: 20 December, 2017, 11:50:06 am »

Likewise. N jnr rode a 100 in September on the tandem, but I need to put some smoother tyres on her bike and build up to a (DIY) 50.
I think the Brevet 250 is a reasonable goal. ;D

My goal is a bit longer, but finding a BRM on a free weekend is challenging at the moment.

« Reply #120 on: 20 December, 2017, 12:10:22 pm »
I'm on the ramp, building for PBP 2019, ............

Already lodged that idea in Mrs. M's head.
Aiming for an SR in 2018 and also to get my friend ,who is a fledgling AUK , up to at least 200km and hopefully beyond.
He has already noted the difference in entry fees, but as his annual cycling mileage in 2017 is less than I did on LEL, he is stepping up a level.
In fairness, he did spend a lot of time training for a marathon which he completed in reasonable time.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #121 on: 20 December, 2017, 12:41:16 pm »

Since the axcle is steel and hte crank arm aluminium, heating it and then using a pully puller (available in hardware stores) will do the job.

If it's on the lockring side rather than the side the BB comes out, you can remove it by putting a couple of spanners or similar between the crank and the bike as spacers, then unscrewing the BB from the other side. 

The next step is to buy a modern hollow BB system that is immune to this type of problem :p

« Reply #122 on: 22 December, 2017, 01:37:13 pm »
I'd like to make it through 2018 without f%$*^ng up my back...... that would be great. :) :) :)

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #123 on: 22 December, 2017, 06:47:33 pm »
I'm on the ramp, building for PBP 2019, but I'm still having to decide if I hate myself enough for all that 2am self-harm on UK 400s/600s first.
This = totes my position.
DNF PBP 2015, hence unfinished business.
Have a place in the Essex Grand, might DNS and go for BPB instead.
However, I must confess to liking those 3am alarm calls, 4am starts and a day spent alone on the bike doing a DIY by GPS.
(click to show/hide)
Aiming for the Dutch Capitals 1,200k in 2020 and volunteering on LEL, which is just about the best fun you can have with your clothes on.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

Charlie Boy

• Dreams in kilometers
« Reply #124 on: 27 December, 2017, 04:34:26 pm »
Starting to feel the love again for long distances....

Hopefully a 300, more is unrealistic given work commitments, but would hope that will be a basis for ramping up for PBP 2019.

I don't miss the 3am WTF am I doing here in the freezing cold moments; I do miss the people encountered and the extraordinary camaraderie. And I do miss the sunrises having ridden through the night. If you've seen one you know what I mean, if you haven't you won't.
Mojo is being awakened.