Author Topic: Fringe show review thread - reviews may contain spoilers  (Read 13466 times)

Re: Fringe show review thread - reviews may contain spoilers
« Reply #100 on: 21 August, 2013, 04:40:38 pm »
I rather liked "the reason we have more pandas than Tory MPs in Scotland is that we actually prefer pandas."

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #101 on: 09 August, 2014, 06:09:55 pm »
First show of the year for me was Pam Ayres at the Assembly Rooms. This show is a mixture of Pam sharing anecdotes, reading passages from her autobiography and reciting her poems. She had the audience in stitches with her description of how the teenage Pam tried so hard to look like Dusty Springfield, in yellow lipstick.

There’s not much to say about it really – it’s warm and funny and I enjoyed every minute of it.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Bairn Again

« Reply #102 on: 09 August, 2014, 08:50:11 pm »
Im off to see "The Weegies Have Pokled Edinburgh's Pandas" and "Chris Martin: Responsibilliness" tomorrow evening

Will post reviews. 

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #103 on: 10 August, 2014, 10:12:38 pm »
Danny Bhoy tonight. He's been better, but it was an enjoyable hour.

Bairn Again

« Reply #104 on: 11 August, 2014, 06:09:52 pm »
Im off to see "The Weegies Have Pokled Edinburgh's Pandas" and "Chris Martin: Responsibilliness" tomorrow evening

Will post reviews.

"The Weegies Have Pokled Edinburgh's Pandas" was a one man show by the poet Robin Cairns.  An hour of Edinburgh v Glasgow banter wrapped up in a daft story that was well executed, but lacking in real quality.  Best appreciated by the locals I think, goodness knows what the tourists would make of it.  6/10 no make that 7/10 as it was only £7.   

"Chris Martin: Responsibilliness" was good.  Foul night meant a small audience which was a shame as he was at his best while interacting with the audience.  In contrast other parts of his show were too obviously prepacked and failed to recognise the audience.  Still, reasonably polished and funny.  7/10 too.

Hoping to see Alun Cochrane too.   

Bairn Again

« Reply #105 on: 11 August, 2014, 09:32:09 pm »
Im on a roll now, off to see Sean Nolan then Alun Cochrane both on Wednesday evening.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #106 on: 12 August, 2014, 10:13:21 am »
Carly Smallman is good - or at least has been in the shorter sets I have seen her do in London.

Bairn Again

« Reply #107 on: 14 August, 2014, 12:17:31 am »
Im on a roll now, off to see Sean Nolan then Alun Cochrane both on Wednesday evening.

Sean Nolans website says "Sean’s first gig was on January the 27th of 2012 at the age of 23, and in his first year and a half he has quickly risen through the ranks becoming the most talked about new comedian on the Irish circuit, most recently winning RTE’s latest televised comedy competition the ‘New Comedy Awards.’ Sean is known for his striped back approach, quiet confidence and his intelligent and hilarious one-liners. Sean is based in Dublin and regularly performs at The International Comedy Club, The Roisin Dubh and The Laughter Lounge. And is soon to be performing at the Vodavone comedy festival 2013."

He was excruciatingly, embarrasingly, buttock clenchingly awful.  I have never been so embarrased at somebody on stage so bathed in ineptitude.  He lacked any stage presence and I left after 20 minutes of the scheduled hour leaving 9 other brave souls to see out the remaining 40 minutes.  I honestly cant believe this guy won a serious stand up competition.  1/10.

Alun Cochrane.  Excellent, droll, good interaction with the audience, felt like a bargain at £12.  He is a big name on the quiet.  8/10

« Reply #108 on: 14 August, 2014, 10:50:52 pm »
Keep these coming.

I'll be up for a few days next week. Just booked one of the Alex Horne shows, Lucy Beaumont, Rhys James and Stuart Goldman. Hoping to fit in a few more free/pay what you want shows this year.  I've put Alun Cochrane on the probable list.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #109 on: 15 August, 2014, 01:02:35 am »
Hmm. Alun Cochrane sold out for tonight, but might be available for next Friday. Worth truncating a holiday for...?
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #110 on: 15 August, 2014, 08:56:56 am »
See you next Friday Jaded.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #111 on: 15 August, 2014, 08:05:45 pm »
Yup!

Went to see '10 Films with My Dad' by Aidan Goatley at the Voodoo Rooms today. A fun and whimsical trip through his relationship with his dad via films they saw together. Free, but drop money in a collection as you leave, so as it was rather good, not free! Daily at 14:30.

« Reply #112 on: 19 August, 2014, 01:24:10 pm »
In Edinburgh atm, any suggestions of what to see (without a booking)? Haven't decided yet whether to go to a show or for a ride, if it is raining it might be an easy decision.

Come to that, anyone up here fancy a ride ? (Tues 19th)

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #113 on: 19 August, 2014, 07:46:48 pm »
see post above - free. I got there about 20 mins before it started.

« Reply #114 on: 20 August, 2014, 09:49:07 am »
Went for a ride in the end, managed to avoid most of the water except for the last 15 minutes.

« Reply #115 on: 20 August, 2014, 11:04:45 am »
In Edinburgh atm, any suggestions of what to see (without a booking)? Haven't decided yet whether to go to a show or for a ride, if it is raining it might be an easy decision.

Come and see 'This Way Madness Lies' at Surgeon's Hall on Nicolson Street, daily at 13:05.     

The show ends it's run on Saturday and it's been very hard work.   Seems that everybody comes to the Fringe to see the established names and shows and there appears to be less bums in the real fringe shows this year.   

I've been talking to lots of performers in a similar position to my friend and the feeling is that the Fringe has got too big and there are too many headliners here sucking the life out of the small fish.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #116 on: 20 August, 2014, 11:38:27 am »
I think you are right PB. On my way though Edinburgh last Friday I passed up the Royal Mile. It seemed to be fringe performers desperately trying to promote their shows to other fringe performers.

Given there are 250+ venues, and multiple shows at each venue, it is probably possible to work out how many punters are needed to fill the shows. Its probably reached its limit.

« Reply #117 on: 20 August, 2014, 11:47:12 am »

Come and see 'This Way Madness Lies' at Surgeon's Hall on Nicolson Street, daily at 13:05.     

The show ends it's run on Saturday and it's been very hard work.   Seems that everybody comes to the Fringe to see the established names and shows and there appears to be less bums in the real fringe shows this year.   

I've been talking to lots of performers in a similar position to my friend and the feeling is that the Fringe has got too big and there are too many headliners here sucking the life out of the small fish.

Too Much Werk for a lunchtime jolly :(

« Reply #118 on: 20 August, 2014, 12:31:13 pm »
Last day Saturday Ham if you can squeeze us in  :)

I think you are right PB. On my way though Edinburgh last Friday I passed up the Royal Mile. It seemed to be fringe performers desperately trying to promote their shows to other fringe performers.

Given there are 250+ venues, and multiple shows at each venue, it is probably possible to work out how many punters are needed to fill the shows. Its probably reached its limit.

There are 3000 shows and, in our venue, three others start simultaneously with ours.   Awesomely bad planning.   It is a nightmare to get the queues sorted and many people join the wrong queues causing chaos.   The 'box offices' at the venues tend to have just one computer and two phones.   People ring in to make advance bookings and the staff will stop serving the queue and deal with the phone call.   Not surprisingly, punters get fed up and walk away.   Posters outside and inside are haphazard.   Some shows seem to get three or four whilst other  shows get none.   They give priority to big name shows at other venue sites (there are eight sites for the Space which is where we are) and forget to put up posters of the shows actually on at that particular venue.   After the latest rain deluge they put up posters for shows that had finished their runs FFS!!!   

I am well known for being forthright now and the manager tends to put in an appearance now in the lead up to our show.   We've had crossed words.

Venue organisation and promotion of the performers (who have paid £lots to be there) is incredibly poor.   

Flyering is a pure waste of time.  The Mile is all performers and no punters.   Central fringe venue is better but there are venues attached making it difficult if you're not in the central fringe venues to make any headway there either.

I had a very rude lady snatch the flyer from her husband's hand yesterday and thrust it back telling me that 'they weren't going to be here when the show is on'.   I didn't take it back of course.   Quite a domestic ensued before me.   :D

We have a massive 'lessons learned' and future ideas list for next time.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #119 on: 20 August, 2014, 12:51:31 pm »

Part of the issue is the cost. I didn't mind paying a fiver to see someone I'd never heard of. If I'm paying £15, I want to be sure I'll enjoy it, so I see the big names.

« Reply #120 on: 20 August, 2014, 01:52:52 pm »
Last day Saturday Ham if you can squeeze us in  :)

Grrrrrrrrrr

As it turns out, not only could I have visited but this entire trip has turned into a waste of (work) time. I fly back 19:00 today.

« Reply #121 on: 20 August, 2014, 02:30:41 pm »

Part of the issue is the cost. I didn't mind paying a fiver to see someone I'd never heard of. If I'm paying £15, I want to be sure I'll enjoy it, so I see the big names.

Well, it's only £7.00...

Bairn Again

« Reply #122 on: 20 August, 2014, 05:12:16 pm »
I went to see Fred McCaulay last night with my wife and 20 year daughter. 

Funny without ever breaking into a side splitting guffaw.  At £15 it felt like one of the safest options at the Fringe.

Hes quite polished generally as opne would expect from a veteran (though he looks at the floor a lot)

I came away thinking it was amusing, but a bit tame.   

« Reply #123 on: 20 August, 2014, 08:46:33 pm »
But surely Fringe isn't supposed to be about established stars but about new and niche performers.    ???

« Reply #124 on: 20 August, 2014, 09:45:13 pm »
Not for the past umpteen years ...

Festival = Proper Culture
Fringe = the rest