Author Topic: Mike Hall RIP  (Read 28288 times)

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
Re: Mike Hall RIP
« Reply #125 on: 25 September, 2018, 06:45:45 pm »
.The only odd thing is the comment that his rear light was hardly visible. I find that hard to believe.

The headlight being hard to see bit was from a 'police recreation'.  We might all think that actual video of Mike riding is far superior to one of those, but who knows what the Aussie coroners will think.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #126 on: 25 September, 2018, 07:06:55 pm »
Aussie coroners, along with a large percentage of the population, are generally not big fans of cycling and cyclists. NSW has the most anti-cycling road rules in Oz. The ACT is a bit better.

In my experience, the Monaro Highway is shit to ride, mostly because of close-passing drivers.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #127 on: 26 September, 2018, 07:37:41 am »

« Reply #128 on: 26 September, 2018, 09:13:54 am »
How would we feel if there were solo driving events across continents with no enforced sleep breaks, and drivers driving dangerously tired

I'm surprised that you can't see the main difference, that a motor vehicle driven by someone who is tired is a danger to others in a way that a bike is not.  The other significant difference is that it is far harder to fall asleep while exerting yourself on a bike with the wind in your face than it is sitting in a warm, cosy car. 

« Reply #129 on: 26 September, 2018, 09:21:24 am »
He may, and if he made a general comment I would agree with him. However,  in Mike's case it is hard to know whether his fatigue contributed to his collision. There is nothing to suggest that he was not riding anywhere other than where he should have been in terms of road position when the collision occured.

The only reported comment regarding Mike's riding was from the lorry driver who said Mike cut across him when Mike was turning (I presume turned right with an oncoming lorry), and that Mike cut it fine.  IIRC one of Mike's final tweets was that he was so tired he was having trouble seeing (or words to that effect)...

'Hard to know' is understating it by a couple of orders of magnitude!  There's no evidence whatsoever to suggest Mike was tired: he'd just spent the night in a motel.  Further, there's no evidence to suggest that being tired while on a bike makes you more likely to be hit by a vehicle - that's what the expert witness said.

The driver, on the other hand, had got up at 4:30 am having had his sleep disrupted by a newborn baby.  The expert witness said he 'could not rule out' driver fatigue being a factor.

If you read the truck driver's statement he says that Mike turned in front of him but he didn't feel the need to brake, so it sounds like a sharp manouevre  but not a dangerous one.   

Mike was having problems with his eyesight but that didn't appear to be tiredness-related. 

« Reply #130 on: 26 September, 2018, 11:50:52 am »
I haven't read all this thread and I, like others, have no idea what happened and who, if anyone was "at fault".  But I'm just puzzled about what I seem to remember being said on two separate occasions.  On the first, the driver said (I think) that he thought he'd hit a kangaroo.  On the second, that Mike Hall turned in front of him.  Have I remembered that right?

Peter

simonp

« Reply #131 on: 26 September, 2018, 12:02:15 pm »
I haven't read all this thread and I, like others, have no idea what happened and who, if anyone was "at fault".  But I'm just puzzled about what I seem to remember being said on two separate occasions.  On the first, the driver said (I think) that he thought he'd hit a kangaroo.  On the second, that Mike Hall turned in front of him.  Have I remembered that right?

Peter

You're conflating two different drivers.

« Reply #132 on: 26 September, 2018, 12:06:59 pm »
Ah, thank you Simon.  I thought it was a bit odd!

Peter

« Reply #133 on: 26 September, 2018, 12:18:17 pm »
How would we feel if there were solo driving events across continents with no enforced sleep breaks, and drivers driving dangerously tired

I'm surprised that you can't see the main difference, that a motor vehicle driven by someone who is tired is a danger to others in a way that a bike is not.  The other significant difference is that it is far harder to fall asleep while exerting yourself on a bike with the wind in your face than it is sitting in a warm, cosy car.

The discussion has moved here:

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=109685.0

« Reply #134 on: 27 September, 2018, 01:58:42 pm »
From Patricia Hall (Mike's mum) on FB:

I came half way across the world for my boy. I attended the Inquest and sat for three days listening to the evidence I knew whatever the findings will be that I have to live with it. There is no blame no anger and no recriminations
I went for my son who always asked people to be kind to each other and have empathy. I saw a young lad with fear in his eyes with sorrow in his heart and I took him in my arms and held him tight as he sobbed that he was sorry for what he had done. I hugged him and his girlfriend told him I forgave him and asked him to try to move on and find a way foward to look. after his young family and to have a good life . I came to Australia to find answers and I did I found the answer all around in the courtroom I saw destructive anger that is negative I saw people so wrapped up in their own need that it destroyed what my son stood for But I also saw incredible steadfastness and the ability to reach out and have compassion. I came away with clarity I had done want Mike would have done I forgave Be Kind to us

“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

« Reply #135 on: 27 September, 2018, 02:30:50 pm »
Wow. That's emotional.

« Reply #136 on: 27 September, 2018, 03:39:49 pm »
Wow, Just Wow.

I hope I would have that amount of grace if it happens to me.

« Reply #137 on: 27 September, 2018, 04:17:39 pm »
Wow. That's emotional.

That most certainly is.
Here's wishing her well.
Garry Broad

« Reply #138 on: 27 September, 2018, 08:29:57 pm »
I have a  friend who lost her lifelong cyclist husband in an RTA last year. She too has forgiven the driver and was telling me this morning that she would rather he was not charged with careless driving. Another, directly involved in a terrible event who has had her life torn apart yet has given us all something very special by her actions.

« Reply #139 on: 28 September, 2018, 08:33:02 am »
Very very much appreciation to Patricia for posting that.

« Reply #140 on: 29 September, 2018, 10:29:12 am »
This is so sad and beautiful. Not bad people the Halls.