Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1754041 times)

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series (plus random E Anglian stuff)
« Reply #6625 on: 22 April, 2015, 04:55:45 pm »
So I've come up with this ... CLICKY!
I've taken the track from this and offered it to BaseCamp, BC said  :hand:
Bikehike and save as tcx it'll work fine, you still have your 705 yes?
I have my 705 but it's dead in terms of receiving satellite signals so I'm currently reluctantly migrated to eTrex 30 which needs BaseCamp.  I've put the RWGPS tcx in which is ok just doesn't have turn-by-turn instructions which is even more desirable when you're not sure which pink line of 4 to follow from a junction  ::-)
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
« Reply #6626 on: 23 April, 2015, 09:04:56 am »
A super route plotted in by Mssr OD last night incorporating a rather hilly arrival to see Wally @ The Cats - Woodham Walter including a little trundle along Doggers Burrells Lane  :o

The Witham peloton was formed of myself, OD, Huggy and Andy C33 along with MEMWNS virgin Keith (not on the forum), as is now customary the pace was moderate even with the climbs and with Keith only having ridden 25 miles thus far this year he took the decision to peel off at Wickham Bishops to head back for home.
An interesting little reroute ensued upon leaving Wickham Bishops as we were diverted due to road resurfacing on Maypole Road, eventually we made it to The Cats at 10 to meet Tomsk and Ted where I enjoyed a nice pint of Golden Bay (most welcome after 47 miles!  :thumbsup:)

« Reply #6627 on: 23 April, 2015, 09:15:48 am »
Kudos to DL for his enthusiasm at trying to complete OD's sufferfest - while the man himself was sitting drooling over pictures of Huggy's van and drinking a pint in the Cats  :P

I feel like I cheated only doing 40 miles and one ascent of TMNH but it's not bad for a school night and it was a lonely journey back into the easterly wind at midnight.

The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #6628 on: 23 April, 2015, 09:16:06 am »
Yep, a good night!  Well done to Keith for sticking with us as far as he did.  And I also thought the Garmins coped well with the loopy route.  And, the biggest well done goes to Doggers for actually doing what we set out to do  :thumbsup:

It was good to see Keith out with us, another crossover from Witham Cycling.  Might I suggest not such as epic ride next week with a bit more beer time, it would be good for Keith and anyone else lurking out there to see the more sociable side of what we do.  How about The Compasses?  I'm sure I heard Tomsk mention the tea towel was back from the framers.

Another thought, we could always have two routes to the week's target pub.  One for those wanting more miles and less beer time and another for those who fancy taking it easy and an extra pint.  This is what the Portsmouth Wednesday night pub riders do. I'm very keen that we try to get as many people as possible to join us and not everyone is training for the PBP and wanting to hoon along at the speed of light.

« Reply #6629 on: 23 April, 2015, 09:24:30 am »
I'm putting a bid in for a shorter ride on the Tiptree side of the A12 in a fortnight's time with one eye on A&S a few days later.

DL can always do it twice !

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6630 on: 23 April, 2015, 09:26:50 am »
Kudos to DL for his enthusiasm at trying to complete OD's sufferfest - while the man himself was sitting drooling over pictures of Huggy's van and drinking a pint in the Cats  :P

Van envy.  I'm not proud of myself!  ;D

I'm putting a bid in for a shorter ride on the Tiptree side of the A12 in a fortnight's time with one eye on A&S a few days later.

:thumbsup:  Feel free to plot and share some route suggestions!

The Retiree

« Reply #6631 on: 23 April, 2015, 09:33:53 am »
Yep, a good night!  Well done to Keith for sticking with us as far as he did.  And I also thought the Garmins coped well with the loopy route.  And, the biggest well done goes to Doggers for actually doing what we set out to do  :thumbsup:

It was good to see Keith out with us, another crossover from Witham Cycling.  Might I suggest not such as epic ride next week with a bit more beer time, it would be good for Keith and anyone else lurking out there to see the more sociable side of what we do.  How about The Compasses?  I'm sure I heard Tomsk mention the tea towel was back from the framers.

Another thought, we could always have two routes to the week's target pub.  One for those wanting more miles and less beer time and another for those who fancy taking it easy and an extra pint.  This is what the Portsmouth Wednesday night pub riders do. I'm very keen that we try to get as many people as possible to join us and not everyone is training for the PBP and wanting to hoon along at the speed of light.

Totally agree OD great to see another crossover and certainly seems a good idea to have either two routes as mentioned or just go with a shorter route for next week so as not to alienate people from riding with us in the future. The Compasses would suit me for next Weds!  :thumbsup:

As a few will be riding the A&S I guess this also sounds sensible how about one of the pubs you mentioned a few weeks back Ted over that way?

« Reply #6632 on: 23 April, 2015, 10:28:34 am »

:thumbsup:  Feel free to plot and share some route suggestions!
[/quote]

I walked right into that one didn't I  :facepalm:

I will do my best to put something together...

The Retiree

« Reply #6633 on: 23 April, 2015, 10:45:04 am »
I walked right into that one didn't I  :facepalm:

I will do my best to put something together...

Ted I wouldn't stress too much upon my first route plotting for a MEMWNS Witham peloton I missed off a climb of TMNH (I was told all routes must leave via this route  ;D ) and secondly I took us down a private lane which bordered on COR'ing in some parts!  :facepalm: luckily Oaky wasn't accompanying us that evening otherwise we may have seen some   >:(  going on.....
I think I went up in OD's estimations however (despite TMNH blip!)

« Reply #6634 on: 23 April, 2015, 10:53:27 am »
I suppose I could throw in a gratuitous ascent of TMNH (as I will be coming from the other direction) for the Witham peloton if necessary but it doesn't seem to fit the notion of a gentle pre A&S ride.

Is 50k about right ?

The Retiree

« Reply #6635 on: 23 April, 2015, 10:56:21 am »
Don't worry about incorporating TMNH in your route, I was informed afterwards that as a new route planner I had a blank canvis to work with!  :thumbsup:

And yes 50/55K would be about right for a gentle MEMWNS trundle

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #6636 on: 23 April, 2015, 11:32:07 am »
I walked 30m to the Henny Swan last night. There were no hills. That is all.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6637 on: 23 April, 2015, 11:36:24 am »
I walked 30m to the Henny Swan last night. There were no hills. That is all.

How did your Garmin cope?  We were concerned ours were going to flip out last night.

The Retiree

« Reply #6638 on: 23 April, 2015, 11:45:19 am »
The Henny Swan

Now theres a potential for a longer MEMWNS ride...... #justsaying

« Reply #6639 on: 23 April, 2015, 02:26:59 pm »
It's not very exciting and it will look fairly familiar - but it is 55km, it does pass through Tiptree and it is aiming for the Peldon Plough which has sort of changed hands recently (son taken over from parents).

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/9381253

(Also I have no idea how to do hyperlinks never mind ones that just say clicky).

« Reply #6640 on: 23 April, 2015, 02:50:59 pm »
Well done all last night. I got to Witham, went to North Hill up the steep bit, halfway up the side bit and then found it was a bit cold so came back through the back of Maldon - Wickham Bishops. Just 40km but as I was on the commuter with my Pannier I am OK with that, I'm on the A&S helpers ride this weekend (and it looks like it might be 1/2) so wasn't keen to go too crazy!

I also like the idea of the shorter slower ide on Wednesday night, i don't think the speedy ride on Wednesday night works that well for me with Real Life. Missing dinner and having to get up at 5am just mean it all ends up feeling like hard work and that is not what I am in it for (although sometimes I will join in the fun, mainly if I get out early or work from home). I have a couple of interested parties from the Tiptree Velo club who might well join if there is a more gentle introduction as well.

Compasses next week  :thumbsup:

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #6641 on: 23 April, 2015, 09:16:07 pm »
 :thumbsup: Compasses next week.

I'll arrange transport for the OYTT - it looks great [and massive] in a frame...

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #6642 on: 26 April, 2015, 07:48:37 pm »
Topic of coversation on Wednesday evening - assuming those that go will at least want to start together, what would the preferred start time on the 16th August 90 hour ride be?
Seems that the first starts may well be full up by the time we're allowed in to pre-register on Sunday. Personally I'm thinking a later start may not be too bad anyway.

« Reply #6643 on: 27 April, 2015, 03:54:37 pm »
I'm being sent to Birmingham on Wednesday but only for the day and it would seem I can get back to Witham for a reasonable(ish) time. I plan to make my way over to the compasses on my return, likely in a motorised fashion, as I want to see the framed OYTT  :thumbsup: and get in on this PBP discussion....only a few days until registration opens, it's nearly unbearable....

The Retiree

« Reply #6644 on: 27 April, 2015, 03:58:00 pm »
I'm being sent to Birmingham on Wednesday but only for the day and it would seem I can get back to Witham for a reasonable(ish) time. I plan to make my way over to the compasses on my return, likely in a motorised fashion, as I want to see the framed OYTT  :thumbsup: and get in on this PBP discussion....only a few days until registration opens, it's nearly unbearable....

It could be worse you could be going to Coventry  :o I have it on good authority that Huggy has collected the team car today and already collected a bicycle from Witham station...... maybe you could see about transporting yourself in motorised fashion in it so we can all view it - although it may not be in it's green & black Witham Cycling livery by Wednesday  :'(

« Reply #6645 on: 27 April, 2015, 04:21:38 pm »
....by the time we're allowed in to pre-register on Sunday

We can register on Sunday?!  :o

I better get myself out on Wednesday then! I assume the start is the usual time and place?
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #6646 on: 27 April, 2015, 04:26:56 pm »
I should make it to the Compasses at some point on Wednesday, but I'm not sure when I'll be able to set off - depends on my pesky USAnian cow-orkers.

The current lie of the land seems to have me able to leave around 8 p.m.  I'll make my own way there by a route with directness quotient dependent on when I actually manage to leave.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6647 on: 27 April, 2015, 04:49:00 pm »

I better get myself out on Wednesday then! I assume the start is the usual time and place?

You can register on Sunday if you did a 600 last year (I think).

And yes, 7:30 Spa Rd roundabout.

I need to talk to you about bike build assistance as well.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #6648 on: 27 April, 2015, 04:49:52 pm »

bobb,
Don't get too excited yet, I refer to pre-registration if you were able to ride a BRM event last year then you are able to log in and pre-register your interest as per the following dates:

1000 KM or RM1200+       600 KM     400 KM      300 KM      200KM
April 26, 2015                  May 03     May 10       May 17      May 24

« Reply #6649 on: 27 April, 2015, 04:52:06 pm »
Oh well, I can't register yet then....

I need to talk to you about bike build assistance as well.

I can bring the tools if you like....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!