Author Topic: N+1 = Spa Audax Mono  (Read 14541 times)

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
Re: N+1 = Spa Audax Mono
« Reply #75 on: 25 March, 2024, 08:01:31 pm »
Now landed and built
(there is a photo but it fails to appear)
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #76 on: 25 March, 2024, 08:13:54 pm »
Hope you enjoy it Arabella.

I've set mine up single speed now - I still love fixed: I just want to try single speed for a while to see what it's like.

« Reply #77 on: 28 March, 2024, 04:53:05 pm »
@trundle

What chainset are you running on your mono?

My mono came with Spa's RD2 which has the chainring bolted to the inner spider to achieve adequate chainline. Your chainring appears to be bolted to the outside of the spider so maybe it isn't an RD2.

I'd like to change my chainset because I can't get consistent chain tension, which I've isolated to the chainset not being symmetrical.

« Reply #78 on: 28 March, 2024, 05:16:46 pm »
@Howdee

It's TD2 with a 42 tooth chainring at 110mm BCD.

I did try the the chainwheel on the inside. It improved the chainline, but it sounded horrible. Like it wanted to unship.

The chainwheel is back on the outside, which looks nicer and a liberal coat of wax lube makes it run silently.

« Reply #79 on: 29 March, 2024, 09:52:21 pm »
Arabella, How was the maiden voyage?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #80 on: 30 March, 2024, 05:06:18 pm »
@trundle

What chainset are you running on your mono?

My mono came with Spa's RD2 which has the chainring bolted to the inner spider to achieve adequate chainline. Your chainring appears to be bolted to the outside of the spider so maybe it isn't an RD2.

I'd like to change my chainset because I can't get consistent chain tension, which I've isolated to the chainset not being symmetrical.
The RD2 is an unbranded Sugino Messenger, isn't it?  I built a fixie with one of those and it is pleasantly concentric with a TA track ring.  Chainline is difficult because it's really a road crank, but it lines up with a 103mm BB, a Miche track hub, and a thin spacer under the RH cup.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #81 on: 30 March, 2024, 08:40:35 pm »
The RD2 is an unbranded Sugino Messenger, isn't it?  I built a fixie with one of those and it is pleasantly concentric with a TA track ring.  Chainline is difficult because it's really a road crank, but it lines up with a 103mm BB, a Miche track hub, and a thin spacer under the RH cup.

I believe Spa's RD2 uses the same pattern as the Sugino Messenger. Thanks for that info. I have a spare 103mm BB which I will try with the chainring moved to the outside.

rogerzilla

« Reply #82 on: 31 March, 2024, 07:47:55 am »
What rear hub are you using?  The Miche has a chainline of about 46mm, I think, with a typical sprocket.

« Reply #83 on: 31 March, 2024, 08:28:57 am »
Hub is a Sturmey Archer HBT30 Fixed/Free

rogerzilla

« Reply #84 on: 31 March, 2024, 08:47:26 am »
SJSC claim the chainline of that is 42mm (SJSC are not always accurate in their answers).  I assume that includes the sprocket but there is some variance in sprockets when it comes to chainline.  Anyway, frames are rarely straight so you need to check chainline with a straight edge instead and go from there. 

I think I respaced the Miche hubs to get a 45mm chainline.  I did the same with my vintage Campag Record track hub (Campag "track" chainline is 42.5mm).  You may have to do the same, since achieving a 42mm chainline is not possible with road-derived cranks and the ring on the outside.  Obviously the wheel needs redishing if it's already been built.