Author Topic: PBP 2023 - Rulz  (Read 20070 times)

PBP 2023 - Rulz
« on: 06 December, 2022, 11:46:59 am »
https://www.paris-brest-paris.org/reglement/
https://www.paris-brest-paris.org/en/rules/
1. Dates: August 20-24, 2023
2. Requirement: Over 18 and a BRM SR completed.
3. Totals: "The number of starters will be limited to 8000. 2500 slots with be reserved for candidates of French nationality."
4. Pre-registrations from 14 Jan onwards, "date depends on the longest [BRM or LRM] brevet in 2022" (1 Nov 21 - 31 Oct 22, I think). Pre-registrations will be cancelled on 20 Jun if the [actual] registration was not initiated (at least three BRM must be given in the registration form).
5. Actual registration: You can register as soon as you have completed at least three qualifying brevets. For those not pre-registered, registration opens on 3 Jun, subject to 8000/5500/2500 limits. Registrations have to be completed (ie adding 4th brevet) by 2 Jul.
6. Entry fees: The preregistration fee is €50, non-refundable and deducted from the final registration fee. Le montant de l’inscription est de ??? euros. Réduction de 20 euros pour les licenciés FFCT.
Bottle, reflective gilet, finish meal and medal included.
7. Cancellation:  . . .
8. Bike rules:
  • For safety reasons, the use of extenders is strongly disadvised (please don't have tribars). "Pour des raisons de sécurité, l’utilisation des prolongateurs est vivement déconseillée en peloton."
    No e-bikes
    Lights powerful enough to be seen at a distance of 100m (front) and 150m (rear). Flashing rear lights are proscribed.
9. Hi-vis&reflective vest (EN 1150 or EN ISO 20471) MUST be worn at night, iaw French Law.
10. Controls all the same (per 2019).
11. Insurance: Riders . . .  commit to being covered by insurance, including repatriation medical assistance.
12. Tracking/brevet: Electronic tracking as previous. Must get stamp in brevet at all controls (obv). Recommended to take a passport photo for brevet.
13a. Sign-in (ie before start): Day before start: receive brevet frame badge and other items. Option on Friday pm.
Sunday 1600: 80 hour limit
Sunday 1730-2100: 90 hour limit
Monday 0500: 84 hour limit
13b. Bike and vest check: 30 to 60 minutes before start: lighting and hi-vis/reflective vests checked.
14. Control times: "Respect the closing times. "Only a serious material incident may be accepted as justification for late arrival, and the delay must be recovered at the latest within the next two checkpoints."
15. Homologation & DNFs
16. Medical Test: "A medical test may be requested by the French State Secretary of Sport . . . Refusal to undergo this control or a positive test outcome will result in disqualification"
17. Support vehicles: None stopped on nor driving on route. Arrangements for them in/by/within 5km of controls.
19. Don't litter.

Re: PBP 2023 - Rulz
« Reply #1 on: 06 December, 2022, 11:54:47 am »
Any idea what the various dates are for pre registration? I thought I had seen it somewhere but can't find it, I completed a 600km last season so just wanting to mark the date in my diary.

Cheers
Roberto

« Reply #2 on: 06 December, 2022, 04:12:15 pm »
How about looking at the rulz (Rule 4 - see my post)? Use links at the top of post.

« Reply #3 on: 07 December, 2022, 07:10:51 am »
I get that but it says from 14th January onwards, the last PBP had slightly different dates depending on whether you had ridden a 1000k,600k,400k etc the previous season. Hence why I mentioned my longest ride was a 600k.

Cheers

felstedrider

« Reply #4 on: 07 December, 2022, 07:48:31 am »
I get that but it says from 14th January onwards, the last PBP had slightly different dates depending on whether you had ridden a 1000k,600k,400k etc the previous season. Hence why I mentioned my longest ride was a 600k.

Cheers

Article 4.

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #5 on: 07 December, 2022, 09:30:21 am »
Any idea what the various dates are for pre registration? I thought I had seen it somewhere but can't find it, I completed a 600km last season so just wanting to mark the date in my diary.

Cheers
Roberto

28th Jan Robert.

Its #4 in the 2nd link.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #6 on: 07 December, 2022, 09:45:09 am »
Roberto probably wants to know the earliest preregistration date for each prequalified ride distance, particularly for the 600km prequalified folk.

It will be at two-week intervals for each reduction in prequalifier distance but it doesn’t actually matter.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #7 on: 07 December, 2022, 10:20:03 am »
Roberto probably wants to know the earliest preregistration date for each prequalified ride distance, particularly for the 600km prequalified folk.

It will be at two-week intervals for each reduction in prequalifier distance but it doesn’t actually matter.

and that is all in the link

1000 km or RM 1200 and +   January 14, 2023
600 km   January 28, 2023
400 km   February 11, 2023
300 km   February 25, 2023
200 km   March 11, 2023

So January 14th for all LEL finishers ;D

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #8 on: 07 December, 2022, 01:14:41 pm »
Thanks for the replies, yes it does help if I follow the links ....doh!

My only excuse is that I'm in the middle of moving house so my head is up my arse at the moment,  getting too old for this moving malarkey 😒

I'll now put the 28th of January in my diary before I forget!!!

« Reply #9 on: 13 December, 2022, 09:45:46 pm »
Last time, rule 8 was 'extension bars must not project beyond brakes . I cut mine down. No one checked.. riding my trike so may chance it a bit this time, especially as the bars relive my arthritis...

« Reply #10 on: 14 December, 2022, 09:20:03 am »
The rule on aero bars is:
For safety reasons, the use of extenders is strongly disadvised in peloton
(The French is pretty much the same)

So you can fit what you like, just don’t use them when riding in a big group.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #11 on: 14 December, 2022, 08:24:06 pm »
Rule 2 Insistence on an SR is not quite right and longer distances can be substituted as per the link and https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=124436.0
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

« Reply #12 on: 15 December, 2022, 11:26:01 pm »
Rule 2 Insistence on an SR is not quite right and longer distances can be substituted as per the link and https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=124436.0
Thank you so much for pointing that out. Most useful. I suggest a more authoritative link (rather than a random yacf thread) is https://www.paris-brest-paris.org/en/rules/ (second line of my OP).
SR: https://www.audax.uk/results/achievement-awards/randonneur-awards/
"The Super Randonneur award was established by ACP in 1977 and is the ‘gold standard’ award. It consists of the BR(M) series: 200 km, 300 km, 400 km, 600 km, all completed in the same Randonneur year. A longer distance can be substituted for a shorter."
So anyone who wants to ride, inter alia, must have completed a BRM/LRM SR within the dates individually set by national organisations (ACP correspondents).
Given I was trying to keep it as short as reasonable @cygnet, I suggest the précis of  Rule 2 in my OP "Requirement: Over 18 and an SR completed" is 'fit for purpose' and will pass the bike and vest/gilet check.

Separately I've just received this message from ACP's grande fromage:
Letter to former participants of the PBP 2019
You have successfully participated in Paris-Brest-Paris 2019.
If you would like to take part in the next edition either as a participant or as a volunteer, here is the following information:
• On Saturday January 7, 2023, the next edition will be presented: see the invitation card attached,
• If you want to join the organization team and take part in the party, directly at the heart of the event, you must register on the Qo-ezion platform made available. This solution allows us to be in phase with the regulations on the holding of personal information: identity, skills, preferred areas of activity, availability. Knowledge of this information will allow the organization to better manage missions.
Here is the website dedicated to staffing: https://www.instantsbenevoles.fr/evenement/
The Audax Club Parisien thanks you for your commitment and for agreeing to send this URL to your friends.

« Reply #13 on: 22 December, 2022, 12:06:35 am »
Thank you so much for pointing that out. Most useful. I suggest a more authoritative link (rather than a random yacf thread) is https://www.paris-brest-paris.org/en/rules/ (second line of my OP).
SR: https://www.audax.uk/results/achievement-awards/randonneur-awards/
"The Super Randonneur award was established by ACP in 1977 and is the ‘gold standard’ award. It consists of the BR(M) series: 200 km, 300 km, 400 km, 600 km, all completed in the same Randonneur year. A longer distance can be substituted for a shorter."
So anyone who wants to ride, inter alia, must have completed a BRM/LRM SR within the dates individually set by national organisations (ACP correspondents).
Given I was trying to keep it as short as reasonable @cygnet, I suggest the précis of  Rule 2 in my OP "Requirement: Over 18 and an SR completed" is 'fit for purpose' and will pass the bike and vest/gilet check.

cygnet's dead right.

An ACP/BRM SR is exactly 200/300/400/600. For the purposes of PBP qualification, you can substitute a longer distance ride, but then it's not an SR and you won't get an SR medal, or at least I didn't in 2015 or 2019.

An AUK SR does allow you to substitute longer distances (which of course might all be BRMs ...).

« Reply #14 on: 15 January, 2023, 08:46:59 am »
The rule on aero bars is:
For safety reasons, the use of extenders is strongly disadvised in peloton
(The French is pretty much the same)

So you can fit what you like, just don’t use them when riding in a big group.

This is good to know. I suffered nerve damage in my hands on LEL last year (they are still not right!), and was planning on using aero bars for PBP to take the pressure off. Obviously wouldn't use them in a group.

frillipippi

• from Italy
« Reply #15 on: 20 February, 2023, 04:44:43 pm »
I have a doubt about article 10: when it says "Riders must stay on the official route", does it mean that you can't abandon it all, not even to get to a supermarket or a B&B or a hotel (or simply by mistake), or is it just that in such circumstances you have to get back to the point where you left the official route and in the meanwhile the insurance doesn't cover?

felstedrider

« Reply #16 on: 20 February, 2023, 04:49:12 pm »
I have a doubt about article 10: when it says "Riders must stay on the official route", does it mean that you can't abandon it all, not even to get to a supermarket or a B&B or a hotel (or simply by mistake), or is it just that in such circumstances you have to get back to the point where you left the official route and in the meanwhile the insurance doesn't cover?

In practice you *should* rejoin the route at the point you left.

« Reply #17 on: 20 February, 2023, 09:56:52 pm »

In theory you *should* rejoin the route at the point you left.
FTFY @frillipippi Noone GAF. What benefits do you think 'the insurance' affords that your personal travel or other insurance does not cover far better?

frillipippi

• from Italy
« Reply #18 on: 21 February, 2023, 06:46:12 am »

FTFY @frillipippi Noone GAF. What benefits do you think 'the insurance' affords that your personal travel or other insurance does not cover far better?
The way article 10 is written, especially in the French version, links "Riders must stay on the official route" to insurance consequences of a breach.

« Reply #19 on: 22 February, 2023, 01:16:00 pm »
No one is going to blink if you leave the route  to go to a shop, booked hotel etc. Just return to route from whence you left it.

« Reply #20 on: 23 February, 2023, 12:29:49 pm »

The way article 10 is written, especially in the French version, links "Riders must stay on the official route" to insurance consequences of a breach.
The ACP/PBP organised insurance is for 'material damage or personal injury caused to a third party by a participant.'
This will covered by a rider's personal travel insurance 'as well' so deviating from the route (for the simple purposes described ^^^) will have no material effect on a rider's insurance position. As said, noone GAF, especially given any deviation will not offer advantage (remember the French attitude/context here).
#10/11 extract:
Article 10:
"Riders must stay on the official route. Please be aware that the insurance cover will be invalid if you deviate from the official route.
Article 11: Responsibilities and insurance
". . . cyclists participate in PBP at their own risk and that riders are not covered unless they have taken out an individual insurance. The participant commits to being covered by insurance when registering.
A « Responsabilité Civile – Défense & Recours » policy has been taken out by the organizers for the duration of the event, for all material or corporal damage caused to a third party by a participant."

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #21 on: 23 February, 2023, 01:49:04 pm »
I wouldn't rely on event travel insurance.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

frillipippi

• from Italy
« Reply #22 on: 23 February, 2023, 10:29:11 pm »
Thank you very much for the clarification!

« Reply #23 on: 25 February, 2023, 06:57:10 pm »
I had nothing to do last night so I had a browse through everything in the PBP website especially the rules to make sure nothing had crept in since the last time I read them and could catch me out and noticed one rule that I had not noticed before, probably because I don't do it anyway so I took no notice of it was that amongst the "penalties" is use of a mobile phone whilst riding. Doing so incurs an hour time penalty.

I know from 2015 and 2019 a lot of riders do it taking selfies etc whilst riding or taking pictures of the group they are riding with

One of the things that stood out on LEL this year was an Indian rider who I kept bumping into, he was constantly riding along holding his phone above his head filming everything but at the same time looking upwards to make sure the phone was pointing in the right direction. Whilst he was doing he, he was drifting all over the road and cars coming up behind were having to brake to avoid him.  I kept my distance from him, especially in one village going up a hill and he was wobbling all over riding slow, trying to balance, looking upwards at the phone and just one hand on the bars.

I always cringe when I see someone doing it holding the phone up at front of the group to get a picture of those behind. It's just recipe for a crash. Maybe it has happened hence the time penalty for those who do it.

felstedrider

« Reply #24 on: 25 February, 2023, 08:00:39 pm »
I seem to recall headphones being banned.  Despite them saving me from the dozies a few times I chose not to carry them in 2019 to avoid temptation.  Might be a French traffic reg actually.

The cover photo of Arrivee had a PBP rider wearing headphones, though, so I may be wrong.