Author Topic: PBP 2023 - Rulz  (Read 20058 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: PBP 2023 - Rulz
« Reply #50 on: 26 May, 2023, 01:29:00 pm »

They are a legal requirement in Netherlands, France, and Germany, plus no doubt others. As I say they cost very little, and they weigh fuck all. I'm not entirely sure what the aversion is.

Of all the stupid rules France has for bikes, this is the least objectionable of all of them.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #51 on: 26 May, 2023, 01:38:14 pm »

For a fiver you can have a pair for each wheel:

https://bit.ly/3qgvkR6

Riding in a country where it feels like half the cyclists think lights are something they don't need, I have become a big fan of reflectors for avoiding crashing into them.

J
--

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #52 on: 26 May, 2023, 01:49:13 pm »
Given that every single PBPer will have front and rear lights on their bike and a reflective vest for night time use, requiring reflectors and a bell seems a little excessive.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #53 on: 26 May, 2023, 01:52:28 pm »
Given that every single PBPer will have front and rear lights on their bike and a reflective vest for night time use, requiring reflectors and a bell seems a little excessive.

It is a requirement of the law of the land tho, not a bonus requirement of the event.

Just be glad it's not like many ultra races that also require a shit ton of reflective stickers across the bike too...

J
--

Flâneur

• ♫ P*nctured bicycle on a hillside desolate...
« Reply #54 on: 26 May, 2023, 02:01:19 pm »
Just be glad it's not like many ultra races that also require a shit ton of reflective stickers across the bike too...

I've got (some of) those mais ils ne sont pas oranges

« Reply #55 on: 26 May, 2023, 02:03:45 pm »
Surely the Vienna Convention applies when it comes to bikes? In that case just the rear rear reflector, in addition to the lights. More difficult to do, if you don’t have mudguards on your bike.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #56 on: 26 May, 2023, 02:06:45 pm »

J

Just one of the reasons I don't do shit ultra races. I also enjoy riding with a cap, rather than a helmet, at PBP.

Given the reflector thing isn't enforced in France, I won't bother.

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #57 on: 27 May, 2023, 09:37:29 am »
Fyi if you do fancy pedal reflectors, SJS sell Shimano branded reflectors for SPD and SPD-SL. I can't afford the top tier Dura Ace reflectors, but I understand they actually make your bike lighter and more aerodynamic.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/search/?term=Pedal%20reflector

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #58 on: 27 May, 2023, 10:09:35 am »

Just one of the reasons I don't do shit ultra races. I also enjoy riding with a cap, rather than a helmet, at PBP.

Given the reflector thing isn't enforced in France, I won't bother.

What do you do when you ride in Australia?

J
--

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #59 on: 27 May, 2023, 11:14:07 am »
I sweat a lot and I complain, the same as I do at events that require helmets, but I prefer riding in a cycling cap. Mandatory helmets in Oz is one of the reasons I have ridden more 1000s/ 1200s in France than in Oz.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #60 on: 27 May, 2023, 11:15:46 am »
I sweat a lot and I complain, the same as I do at events that require helmets, but I prefer riding in a cycling cap. Mandatory helmets in Oz is one of the reasons I have ridden more 1000s/ 1200s in France than in Oz.

Why are you OK to follow the law of the land in Oz, but not to do so in France? Esp when doing so in France is so utterly benign.

J
--

« Reply #61 on: 27 May, 2023, 11:27:47 am »

Why are you OK to follow the law of the land in Oz, but not to do so in France? Esp when doing so in France is so utterly benign.

J

Because in OZ No Helmet = about AUD500 fine , yes five hundred, (GBP 275, Euro 325), No Bell = AUD 150, No rear reflector = 300 ish (all vary between states), then you get into the serious stuff like no lights......did I mention Oz has a very low cycling participation rate, wonder why?

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #62 on: 27 May, 2023, 11:34:05 am »
Because in OZ No Helmet = about AUD500 fine , yes five hundred, (GBP 275, Euro 325), No Bell = AUD 150, No rear reflector = 300 ish (all vary between states), then you get into the serious stuff like no lights......did I mention Oz has a very low cycling participation rate, wonder why?

So cos the fine in France is so low you feel that you can ignore the law of the land?

I assume you don't cycle in .NL or .DE ?

J
--

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #63 on: 27 May, 2023, 11:51:42 am »
I have ridden the Hamburg-Berlin-Koln-Hamburg 1500km brevet but have only rarely ridden in the Netherlands (300km BRM was the longest). I didn’t have wheel reflectors or a bell in either (or any) country.

Venturing into POBI territory, just because something is law doesn’t make it right.

« Reply #64 on: 28 May, 2023, 02:23:51 pm »
They are a legal requirement in Netherlands, France, and Germany, plus no doubt others. As I say they cost very little, and they weigh fuck all. I'm not entirely sure what the aversion is.
Of all the stupid rules France has for bikes, this is the least objectionable of all of them.
J
And one which is given a widespread Gallic ignoring, both by tens of thousands of riders from 'racing' to leisure and ignored by le police municipal and les gendarmerie. Fuss not. Many rear lights have a reflection element and otherwise a stand alone reflector or one on the mudguard sorts that element. A front reflector gets in the way of other necessary front end stuff, is just useless given effective lights and the French enforcers know it.
Which leaves the lateral reflectors (by law): what percentage of PBP riders are going to fit those to their spokes: only just up the spectrum from dork discs, but fine for children's leisure bikes, to keep 'mum' content, if she cares.
What other "stupid rules France has for bikes" that you think are more objectionable?
I echo LWaB's take.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #65 on: 28 May, 2023, 02:30:48 pm »

What other "stupid rules France has for bikes" that you think are more objectionable?

The mandatory high Vis, and the rule about not wearing headphones. The headphones one is the one I hate the most.

J
--

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #66 on: 28 May, 2023, 04:56:40 pm »
I won't be wearing the high-viz this time because it's ridiculous to do so in a velomobile, but obviously will have it at hand and use it when walking around at night. For most people, who more or less fit into the gilets, the high-viz will be bonus if the night temperature will be like last time 🥶

The no-headphone is a nuisance for me >:( I'll be wearing earplugs then to tone down the wind noise.

The velomobile will violate all but one requirements (it has a rear reflector); I may add bits of retro-reflecting foil on the front/sides though, that will be easy to do.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #67 on: 28 May, 2023, 05:30:35 pm »
I won't be wearing the high-viz this time because it's ridiculous to do so in a velomobile, but obviously will have it at hand and use it when walking around at night. For most people, who more or less fit into the gilets, the high-viz will be bonus if the night temperature will be like last time 🥶

The no-headphone is a nuisance for me >:( I'll be wearing earplugs then to tone down the wind noise.

The velomobile will violate all but one requirements (it has a rear reflector); I may add bits of retro-reflecting foil on the front/sides though, that will be easy to do.

Wait. when did you turn to the dark side ?

J
--

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #68 on: 28 May, 2023, 06:25:38 pm »
Wait. when did you turn to the dark side ?
April 11  ;D

3481km in the Snoek so far. There will be more kilometers in getting to/from Rambouillet than in riding PBP itself ;)

« Reply #69 on: 28 May, 2023, 08:04:39 pm »

The mandatory high Vis, and the rule about not wearing headphones. The headphones one is the one I hate the most.

J

I see the mandatory high vis as a necessary legal requirement to prevent car drivers walking away from close passes with 'I didn't see the cyclist'
(a close pass in France isn't considered a traffic offence anymore but punished under criminal law)

Tom

« Reply #70 on: 29 May, 2023, 12:49:06 pm »
Sorry if this has been covered before, but do any of the anciens know whether it's possible to pick up your start documents etc later on the Sunday than the midday or so cutoff shown on the website? I've got an early Monday start and had hoped to ride down from Dieppe on the Sunday (ferry arrives 0400)  - with the best will and most favourable wind, I'm not going to get to rambouillet before about 3 or 4pm. Alternatively, is it possible to ask another Monday morning starter to pick the bits up on my behalf? I realise I should probably address this to the horse's mouth, but thought I'd ask here first before embarrassing myself with my GCSE French.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #71 on: 29 May, 2023, 01:25:33 pm »
ACP is efficient in dealing with emails written in English.

Tom

« Reply #72 on: 29 May, 2023, 01:51:10 pm »
Thanks, I'll give that a go.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #73 on: 30 May, 2023, 12:45:08 am »

April 11  ;D

3481km in the Snoek so far. There will be more kilometers in getting to/from Rambouillet than in riding PBP itself ;)

Nice! Photos??

How are you finding it ?

J
--

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #74 on: 30 May, 2023, 07:41:07 am »
Have they published Brest cut off times yet? Or anyone care to share what they were last time around.
Specifically interested in the 84H rider's 600km allowance but having them all here in one place would be ace :)