Author Topic: iPhone navigation for the Dun Run  (Read 2425 times)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
iPhone navigation for the Dun Run
« on: 04 July, 2017, 11:02:36 am »
My Garmin's dead and buried and I'm riding the Dun Run this year at short notice.

I expect I'll be absolutely fine with a paper route sheet and half a clue, but if I wanted to install some kind of offline mapping software (preferably something cheap or free) just in case I get lost and there's no decent data connection, what would you recommend?  I'm running an iPhone 6s and I've got an external battery to keep it going all night if needs be.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Re: iPhone navigation for the Dun Run
« Reply #1 on: 04 July, 2017, 11:09:29 am »
Are you wanting just maps, something you can follow a line on, or something that'll do navigation in response to where you are at that time?

Maps.me is my usual offline off bike solution.
Cyclestreets has an offline map pack too (and does routing).
It always takes me ages to figure out how, but Viewranger will let you save map tiles for the area you want and you can also display a .gpx line to follow.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #2 on: 04 July, 2017, 11:14:05 am »
I've only used the Android version,  but Navmii has stood me in good stead when abroad with no data.  It's more a car satnav like system (i.e. not useful for following a pre-planned track), but is useful for working out where the hell you are, and how to get to the next known place on the route sheet.

I've used Viewranger too in the past, but abandoned it in favour of Navmii for random acts of navigation,  and OSMAnd (which is, of course, no use to an iPhone user - ETA: correction - it does appear to be avilable for iPhone - I always thought the "And" bit was "Android") for walking and following GPX tracks.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #3 on: 04 July, 2017, 11:15:33 am »
http://osmand.net/

That's good, free and let's you download maps for offline use.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: 04 July, 2017, 11:19:45 am »
Thanks chaps - that was quick!

I'm looking for a bail-out solution mainly.  Something that can show me the route I should have been following, as well as something that can respond to a 'take me to x town' when offline.

I'll check out the suggestions so far in a bit  :)

« Reply #5 on: 04 July, 2017, 11:35:44 am »
You have email.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: 04 July, 2017, 11:56:44 am »
Thanking you  :D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 04 July, 2017, 12:42:24 pm »
http://osmand.net/

That's good, free and let's you download maps for offline use.

Would be my suggestion too.  It'll store the map locally, show you where you are, overlay a GPX track so you can see where you should have gone, and can do some navigation stuff that I've never bothered trying to use.

Didn't realise there was a version for iThings.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #8 on: 04 July, 2017, 12:50:44 pm »
Maps.me is free and simple. It let's you download offline maps for the whole country. The autorouting usually works quite well, it has an option for cycling.
Don't think you can load a route or track, but you can import waypoints in a KML file.

OsmAnd can do a lot more stuff, but can be confusing. And the free version is a bit limited.

Ben T

« Reply #9 on: 04 July, 2017, 09:32:01 pm »
Have the voice prompts on your headphones rather than faff about with a handlebar mount.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #10 on: 04 July, 2017, 10:18:20 pm »
 I see there is a version of Google Maps for iThings, funnily enough.  It can do offline maps and directions, too, albeit not cycling-specific ones when offline.  Needs less setting up and practice than OSMAnd (which I am a fan of as well).
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #11 on: 05 July, 2017, 12:08:07 pm »
HERE WeGo is excellent in a car satnav stylee. Claims to have a cycle routing option, and will navigate completely offline (though the latest version (at least on android) seems to demand a data connection to calculate a route)

« Reply #12 on: 05 July, 2017, 07:12:56 pm »
If you are riding on the Day/Night of the DUnwich Dynamo then just follow the river of red lights in front of you.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13 on: 05 July, 2017, 08:44:39 pm »
If you are riding on the Day/Night of the DUnwich Dynamo then just follow the river of red lights in front of you.

That works fine for the first bit.  Then things get spread out a bit, and that particular cluster of red lights in front of you can just as easily turn out to be following someone on the dubious basis that he's got a Garmin and therefore must know which way to go.  Next thing you know you're trapped in a maze of twisty Rodings, all alike.

« Reply #14 on: 06 July, 2017, 06:31:12 pm »
The few times I've done the ride it hasn't been a problem.  If you are unsure have a breather at a junction,and someone will be along in a few minutes at the most.