Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 926165 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #8325 on: 25 February, 2019, 08:00:27 pm »
Indeed.  Gravity was also nominated for best picture, and most of the scenes in that involved animation, albeit in a way that sneaks past most people's animation-dar.

While Black Panther had novelty value within the genre for characters with agency, and rightly won other awards, I don't think it was ever going to be best picture material.  Spider-Verse was certainly a stronger film.

« Reply #8326 on: 27 February, 2019, 07:19:48 pm »
Indeed.  Gravity was also nominated for best picture, and most of the scenes in that involved animation, albeit in a way that sneaks past most people's animation-dar.

That's a bit of a stretch. The primary performance was (mostly) carried out by actors.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8327 on: 27 February, 2019, 07:24:16 pm »

That's a bit of a stretch. The primary performance was (mostly) carried out by actors.

I don't think that detracts from the amount of work involved by the animation team.

« Reply #8328 on: 27 February, 2019, 08:07:27 pm »
It's what I do for a living. It's visual effects and not animation. It did win the oscar for best VFX. (And deservedly so).

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8329 on: 27 February, 2019, 08:21:12 pm »
It's what I do for a living. It's visual effects and not animation. It did win the oscar for best VFX. (And deservedly so).

Fair enough, as a layperson I don't understand the distinction.  It's all people making imaginary stuff come alive.

« Reply #8330 on: 01 March, 2019, 10:39:41 pm »
Collateral Beauty - Mediocre. It seems they really tried for a beautiful feel good story with an all-star cast but it never really got going.  Will Smith rides around on a  pretty crap bike with no helmet and doesn't get killed.  But on one shot, his chain is on the wrong side of the bike. New York looks very good in it though.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8331 on: 09 March, 2019, 02:23:30 pm »
Roma. Thanks to Pickled Onion for mentioning the slow start: it's well worth the short wait because it builds into something really brilliant.  I loved the way that Cuarón let his story sniff at several very hackneyed possible story lines then veer off - Hollywood would have dived down one after another and turned out yet another chunk of banality laid on with a trowel. It stopped at the right place, too.

Gentle, delicate and very satisfying.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ian

« Reply #8332 on: 11 March, 2019, 10:14:37 am »
Captain Marvel, which was thoroughly enjoyable, probably more so as she can do a brilliant O RLY? with her eyebrows that I suspect could wither even Thanos. It's the sort of superpower I want. She has a few others, but that's the best one. Actually, there's consistently brilliant gesture comedy, the bit with the CD-ROM was perfect. As an origin story, it's well pitched and avoids the endless narcoleptic exposition style favoured by DC. Marvel have a knack of casting perfect leads, and de-aged Nick Fury is good value (the CGI holds up quite well even on Imax scales). Yeah, yeah, it's arguably yet another superhero movie, but you get what you paid for, two and half hours of solid entertainment.

For those worried or otherwise interested in such matters, she doesn't spend the entire movie semi-clad and thrusting her breasts out like a pair of minor alps (the superhero suit is more biker than lycra, and anyway she spends most of the movie in a NiN t-shirt and jeans). And no, it's not a feminazi manifesto, it's just a woman who kicks (or rather punches) ass (and other body parts). I'm not really sure how anyone could get to the latter, but I think it's mostly boys on the internet who are understandably being avoided by actual women in real-life. O RLY indeed.

« Reply #8333 on: 11 March, 2019, 12:58:16 pm »
Hunting the Wilderpeople A thoroughly enjoyable Kiwi comedy-drama.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

rob

« Reply #8334 on: 11 March, 2019, 01:22:00 pm »
Captain Marvel, which was thoroughly enjoyable, probably more so as she can a brilliant O RLY? with her eyebrows that I suspect could wither even Thanos. It's the sort of superpower I want. She has a few others, but that's the best one. Actually, there's consistently brilliant gesture comedy, the bit with the CD-ROM was perfect. As an origin story, it's well pitched and avoids the endless narcoleptic exposition style favoured by DC. Marvel have a knack of casting perfect leads, and de-aged Nick Fury is good value (the CGI holds up quite well even on Imax scales). Yeah, yeah, it's arguably yet another superhero movie, but you get what you paid for, two and half hours of solid entertainment.

For those worried or otherwise interested in such matters, she doesn't spend the entire movie semi-clad and thrusting her breasts out like a pair of minor alps (the superhero suit is more biker than lycra, and anyway she spends most of the movie in a NiN t-shirt and jeans). And no, it's not a feminazi manifesto, it's just a woman who kicks (or rather punches) ass (and other body parts). I'm not really sure how anyone could get to the latter, but I think it's mostly boys on the internet who are understandably being avoided by actual women in real-life. O RLY indeed.

Again thoroughly enjoyed another MCU outing.  Loads of in-jokes all the way and quite a lot of decent comedy value.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #8335 on: 11 March, 2019, 09:18:48 pm »
Captain Marvel, which was thoroughly enjoyable, ...
Indeed.

The fight on the train is hilarious.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #8336 on: 15 March, 2019, 08:57:21 am »
Arrival last night. One of those films that, if watched at the cinema, you'd come out chatting how confusing it was, and each offering different viewpoints of how it should be interpreted.

I enjoyed it very much, as it's not your 'usual' alien film. But it is confusing.

I knew Max Richter had done the score, so had a warm glow inside.  :)
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #8337 on: 15 March, 2019, 09:05:11 am »
Arrival last night. One of those films that, if watched at the cinema, you'd come out chatting how confusing it was, and each offering different viewpoints of how it should be interpreted.

I enjoyed it very much, as it's not your 'usual' alien film. But it is confusing.

I knew Max Richter had done the score, so had a warm glow inside.  :)

I went to see that at the pictures with Steph! I thought it was great.
Milk please, no sugar.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8338 on: 15 March, 2019, 01:14:09 pm »
Arrival is one of the few SF films that doesn't insult your intelligence. The only thing I felt to be a bit shaky was the rapidity with which the international situation turned into a crisis.

« Reply #8339 on: 16 March, 2019, 10:44:45 pm »
"The Golden Voyage of Sinbad".  I remember seeing this at the cinema as a small person, 1973 so I must have been 9 or 10.  Far too young to appreciate Caroline Munro's acting..     A splendidly villainous Tom Baker & Martin Shaw as well. 

I had the paperback adaptation as well, which is now going for about £30 on Ebay.  I'd forgotten the ships figurehead coming to life, but remember the fight with Kali, and the battle between the Cyclops & Griffin.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8340 on: 17 March, 2019, 09:01:08 am »
Had a gander at Russian Doll. Quirky and amusing. A Graun crit I read some of this morning said that it was an analogy of the writer/producer/director/star's own struggles with addiction. I can believe that but I'd say it's more fun.  I baled out of the Graun piece because it was starting to look like a rich source of spoilers.

I'll probably watch a few more episodes.

« Reply #8341 on: 05 April, 2019, 10:09:00 pm »
"Death of Stalin".
Very very good. First 2 acts were the best, but still highly entertaining.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #8342 on: 05 April, 2019, 10:51:31 pm »
Captain Marvel, which was thoroughly enjoyable, probably more so as she can do a brilliant O RLY? with her eyebrows that I suspect could wither even Thanos. It's the sort of superpower I want. She has a few others, but that's the best one. Actually, there's consistently brilliant gesture comedy, the bit with the CD-ROM was perfect. As an origin story, it's well pitched and avoids the endless narcoleptic exposition style favoured by DC. Marvel have a knack of casting perfect leads, and de-aged Nick Fury is good value (the CGI holds up quite well even on Imax scales). Yeah, yeah, it's arguably yet another superhero movie, but you get what you paid for, two and half hours of solid entertainment.

Just back from watching this - fun film :)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8343 on: 06 April, 2019, 08:33:07 am »
Birdman finally reached Netflix. Great.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8344 on: 06 April, 2019, 01:01:35 pm »
Bølgen / The Wave

Surprisingly good Norwegian take on the classic disaster movie.

Helped greatly in the plausibility stakes by concentrating on a realistic natural disaster of relatively small scale, this one manages to subvert many of the genre's tropes almost by accident:
- A female geologist who looks like a female geologist, and doesn't die.
- MovieOS used only for visual clarity; the scientists are still looking at screens of numbers.
- Assorted competently-flown helicopters, none of which crash in a fireball or cause unwanted amputations.
- The obligatory kids aren't irritating.
- Tourists making only mildly bad non-selfish decisions.
- Our hero saves hundreds of people armed with nothing more than a pretty neat digital watch.

My favourite bit was where our hero geologist's spidey sense tells him that The Big One is about to happen, but his colleagues looking at the funny data aren't convinced.  In a Hollywood disaster movie, this would be his cue to commandeer a vehicle, bluff his way into giving a moving speech to the president, or have a punch-up with some self-serving obstructive bureaucrat.  Instead, our hero goes digging in his recently-discarded collection of academic papers, performs an emergency literature review, and calls back with citations - at which point his colleagues believe him and immediately raise the alarm.  In the words of a certain other movie, he scienced the shit out of it.

Skjelvet / The Quake

Contrived sequel to the above.  Does well on pace, but the implausibility of *another* geological disaster happening to the same characters stretches credibility to breaking point.  Decent (if dubiously realistic) special effects fail to make up for the sensibility of the first one, and we see our characters making desperately bad decisions in order to crank up the drama.

I'd almost recommend watching them in reverse order, but most of the character development happens in the first film.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #8345 on: 06 April, 2019, 09:54:11 pm »
Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me.  Needed more Albert.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8346 on: 07 April, 2019, 03:22:35 pm »
Yup. And Albert wasn't very Alberty either.

ian

« Reply #8347 on: 08 April, 2019, 10:51:07 am »
Because we're self-evidently nerds and in the workup to Endgame, we've decided to watch all the Marvel movies. There's twenty-two of them.

Blimey.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8348 on: 08 April, 2019, 11:10:40 am »
At one sitting? The Guinness Book of Records is beckoning.

ian

« Reply #8349 on: 08 April, 2019, 11:18:49 am »
I think we have until May, and we've already chalked up the first two.