Author Topic: Should I go electric ?.  (Read 18255 times)

Re: Should I go electric ?.
« Reply #100 on: 11 April, 2018, 06:30:06 pm »
No, don't let it go flat. The usual advice is to wait c.20 mins after a ride and then charge up, although I often just plug it straight in, otherwise I'd forget.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #101 on: 11 April, 2018, 07:21:26 pm »
I've been told that these batteries don't imprint and you can charge them any time whatever the residue power left is

This is true.  Memory effect was mostly a NiCad and to a lesser extent NiMH thing.

and that they should be allowed to run down completely and recharged to full about every three months.

Not an inherent requirement of the battery, but might be needed to calibrate the battery-management electronics (so it knows how to estimate the battery capacity).  If it tells you to do it in the manual, then there's probably a good reason.  If not, I wouldn't bother unless I wanted to measure the total capacity of the battery (which will slowly decline over its lifetime).

The general rule with lithium-ion batteries is that they really don't like to be deeply discharged.  Somewhere in the electronics will be some logic that stops the system drawing power when the battery reaches a minimum safe voltage, so (other than concerns about range or not having power for lights or whatever) you don't have to worry about running them flat in use.  Since there's a small amount of self-discharge and probably quiescent current from the battery management circuits it will continue to discharge below this point if left for long periods (weeks) in a discharged state.  On that basis, the rule of thumb is if in doubt, recharge.  Certainly charge the battery before leaving it unused for long periods.

Thanks for your help.
Never knowingly under caffeinated

« Reply #102 on: 11 April, 2018, 07:26:18 pm »
  On that basis, the rule of thumb is if in doubt, recharge.  Certainly charge the battery before leaving it unused for long periods.
I think that last bit isn't QUITE true - they store best when partially discharged (and kept in a kind temperature range - usually cooler than a warm UK house, but check the spec). But certainly it's best to avoid letting them fully discharge  :thumbsup: This is why trickle chargers are good (even though they trigger my knee-jerk "WASTE OF MONEY" reflex!)

The chap who sold me my motor and battery (Andy at Woosh Cycles, Southend) advised me to discharge the battery about a third if leaving it standing for awhile. A third being about 20 miles of use.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #103 on: 11 April, 2018, 07:36:21 pm »
  On that basis, the rule of thumb is if in doubt, recharge.  Certainly charge the battery before leaving it unused for long periods.
I think that last bit isn't QUITE true - they store best when partially discharged (and kept in a kind temperature range - usually cooler than a warm UK house, but check the spec). But certainly it's best to avoid letting them fully discharge  :thumbsup: This is why trickle chargers are good (even though they trigger my knee-jerk "WASTE OF MONEY" reflex!)

The chap who sold me my motor and battery (Andy at Woosh Cycles, Southend) advised me to discharge the battery about a third if leaving it standing for awhile. A third being about 20 miles of use.

Yes, that's about optimal.  It's the top 20% you want to avoid (although much much less than you want to avoid deep discharge).

« Reply #104 on: 22 April, 2018, 07:11:54 pm »
There is a marked difference between the two batteries I have . One will give me 80 miles comfortably on level 4 and the other seems to struggle by 55/60 miles .  :)
the slower you go the more you see

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #105 on: 22 April, 2018, 10:09:13 pm »
I will speak to Cyclotricity tomorrow.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #106 on: 23 April, 2018, 08:46:19 pm »
Does anybody else find it scary that Chris now has an effective range of 130 miles?   :o   :)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #107 on: 24 April, 2018, 09:22:22 am »
Draw a 130 mile circle from Windsor and work out if you're safe. Or not . . .

'Tricity were very helpful yesterday. A range of less than 50 miles would be of concern but it appears that the 55-60 mile battery is bang in the performance range they expect.

"80 miles? We should've charged extra for that one!"
VELOMANCER

« Reply #108 on: 24 April, 2018, 09:26:14 am »
Draw a 130 mile circle from Windsor and work out if you're safe. Or not . . .

<  Google maps ...  >

Aaaaaaarrrggghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!    :D

« Reply #109 on: 24 April, 2018, 07:35:28 pm »
 ;D :demon:

« Reply #110 on: 26 April, 2018, 02:08:16 pm »
Does anybody else find it scary that Chris now has an effective range of 130 miles?   :o   :)

Chris has always had a range of 130 miles. The power has just cut the time it takes.  :)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #111 on: 01 May, 2018, 01:13:14 pm »
Some pictures of the electric assistance system   :)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9sgdkvwcKGQdR3Tq8.

« Reply #112 on: 01 May, 2018, 02:21:42 pm »

Not I.
I'm more than 130 miles away as the Chris flies  ;D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #113 on: 01 May, 2018, 02:23:45 pm »

Good stuff.  Is that the ICE battery mount, or has someone been molishing?

« Reply #114 on: 01 May, 2018, 02:24:18 pm »

Chris has always had a range of 130 miles. The power has just cut the time it takes.  :)
Very true. He will only need a power point and just one very large pub lunch rather than two.

« Reply #115 on: 01 May, 2018, 02:25:51 pm »

That battery looks physically bigger than mine, Chris.
Can I see a pic of the rating label, please?

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #116 on: 01 May, 2018, 03:17:26 pm »

Good stuff.  Is that the ICE battery mount, or has someone been molishing?

That is the genuine factory item. Something like 80 quid - but sometimes the only way to do something is to use what should be there in the first place! It saved quite a bit of head scratching. The bolt spacing was roughly equivalent to a bottle cage so mounting the battery itself was a cinch.

FYI @Nobby. The batteries are supplied by Cyclotricity. I've linked to the actual unit supplied, they retail £450 each. In this installation we hard wired the battery carrier to the motor. Soldered joints make for fewer connection problems.
VELOMANCER

« Reply #117 on: 01 May, 2018, 04:27:48 pm »
Just to cheer you up I can still potter along at about 6mph and extend the range as long as it is not to hilly  ;D . I reckon I could get to Wolverhampton without to much trouble ;D

« Reply #118 on: 01 May, 2018, 04:41:18 pm »
FYI @Nobby. The batteries are supplied by Cyclotricity. I've linked to the actual unit supplied, they retail £450 each. In this installation we hard wired the battery carrier to the motor. Soldered joints make for fewer connection problems.

Thanks Torslanda that's half as much again as mine in power and price  :)

« Reply #119 on: 02 May, 2018, 09:22:03 am »

Bring yours camping in Long itchington next week and we can all compare batteries  :-*

P.S. fancy a cup of tea soon? We're living at clarion's parents' near Kinver.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #120 on: 02 May, 2018, 09:02:44 pm »

Bring yours camping in Long itchington next week and we can all compare batteries  :-*

P.S. fancy a cup of tea soon? We're living at clarion's parents' near Kinver.

Camping? I'm only just riding. Sixth bout of physio next Monday after falling off 12 weeks ago.
Tea sounds good. Here or there? Home brew or teashop? Give me a bell and we will sort something out.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #121 on: 10 May, 2018, 10:23:43 pm »
Via PB I've just had some fabulous news. I won't steal Cycleman's thunder but leave it for him to relate.

Let's just say I am sitting here grinning like a loon . . .
VELOMANCER

« Reply #122 on: 10 May, 2018, 10:56:29 pm »
If it looks like a loon and it sounds like a loon ...   :demon:   ;D   :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #123 on: 10 May, 2018, 10:59:55 pm »
Has he been naughtily bagging Strava segments?   ;D

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #124 on: 10 May, 2018, 11:25:54 pm »
Has he been naughtily bagging Strava segments?   ;D

Damn, I hope so!

If it looks like a loon and it sounds like a loon ...   :demon:   ;D   :thumbsup:

It's a loon ~ but ever such a smug one... :smug:
VELOMANCER