Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 961538 times)

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #4475 on: 07 November, 2014, 07:52:18 am »
Finally watched Pacific Rim at the weekend and I loved it.

I want a Jaeger for the commute.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #4476 on: 07 November, 2014, 09:13:21 pm »
And today was: Interstellar.

There's the odd cheesy moment or three.  I got the ending within ten minutes of the start.  Nolan channels Kubrik for some of the shots, and it's lovely to look at - his dislike of CGI being what it is, the landscapes are great, but there's some stuff you can't pull off without computers.  Mind you, the computers are used appropriately so that's ok.  Weird
(click to show/hide)
cameo from an unexpected actor, and at least one made-you-jump moment.  The use of sound, and silence, is pretty good, and it looks fabulous.

Verdict: Not Quite Perfect, but I liked it.

I haven't seen Gravity, so can't compare.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

« Reply #4477 on: 07 November, 2014, 09:41:56 pm »
You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!

Is on now on more four!

« Reply #4478 on: 07 November, 2014, 10:21:48 pm »
Trivia question - without googling - what's the aircraft type in TIJ?

Jakob

« Reply #4479 on: 08 November, 2014, 12:37:40 am »
his dislike of CGI being what it is

Yet, he chooses to make films that would be impossible without using a lot of it. Ok, fair enough, he tries to get as much in camera as possible. (He applied to crash a real helicopter in Chicago for one of the Batman movies....strangely enough the city didn't approve), but his action style owes lots to Michael Bay.

Sorry, it gets me everytime they trot out the 'I don't like CGI'  line and yet make movies where virtually half it relies heavily on.

Jakob

« Reply #4480 on: 08 November, 2014, 12:39:49 am »
"Inside Llewyn Davis". A Coen Brothers movie that I completely missed until a colleague told me that it was on netflix.
Mesmerizing, but a little frustrated by the ending.

« Reply #4481 on: 08 November, 2014, 02:34:38 am »
Tonight's movie marathon ...
Sin City - A Dame to Kill For
Prepare popcorn. Remove beer from fridge. Insert brain in fridge. Enjoy film. Remove brain from fridge and refit in head.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
Yeah. It lasted 30 minutes

Donnie Darko
Still as awesome as the first 4 times I watched it!
Allow me to explain through the medium of interpretive dance

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #4482 on: 08 November, 2014, 01:52:20 pm »

Haven't seen Interstellar yet but by about two thirds of the way through Gravity I was praying for the Alien to turn up and put us all out of our misery.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4483 on: 09 November, 2014, 12:42:30 am »
Mr Turner.

Slow, episodic, almost storyless.  Beautifully shot, beautifully acted.

We went to see it tonight at the shiny new Curzon cinema in Canterbury, which was a revelation - huge comfy reclining chairs with lots of legroom, two bars, neither of which sell half-gallon buckets of fizzy pop or wheelbarrows of popcorn, just a pleasant grown-up environment for watching films in. Only problem was being in the second row (there are only eight rows) meant I was a little too close to the screen - wish I'd taken my reading glasses.

Anyway, I agree with your assessment of the film. Sumptuous would be the word I'd use. And yet... although overall I found a lot to like in it, somehow for me it added up to less than the sum of its parts. Not sure why. Still very good though.

Made me laugh in places where I was clearly the only one in the cinema who got the joke - or maybe was the only one who felt it was appropriate to laugh out loud

I LOLed at the Wuskin scene, and a few other places.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4484 on: 09 November, 2014, 07:44:30 am »
Yesterday, having seen the first two episodes of the TV series, we watched Constantine.

I have seen it before, but Mrs T hasn't. Well she has now. She declared it good, but gory.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4485 on: 09 November, 2014, 07:57:12 am »

Seen it already, but remembered that if you put a low-density ND filter in front of one eye when watching things moving on the box the brain interprets the difference in the 2 pics it receives as being due to different perspectives, and throws it into 3D whether the perspectives are different or not.

This isn't all that great with most films, but the scenes in those shot for current 3D are set up to emphasize perspective. There's much more movement too, choreographed to reinforce the impression. It's not all fancy tech.

Anyway, my humble ND filter worked a treat.  Maybe not 100% as well as the pukka tech - the colours were a little muted and a wee bit of eyestrain was involved - but it worked well enough that every time I took the filter away I wanted to put it back again.

Fun.  Crap story, but fun.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Andrew

« Reply #4486 on: 09 November, 2014, 09:53:14 am »

I know what you mean, in that there was no fame and fortune or sticking it to the man. BUT, if you think of his character, his notion of himself being 'real', both flirting with and rejecting success, it was an ending that made sense. He was 'doomed' to repeat the cycle for the rest of his days. Depressing or life validating, depending on your POV.

« Reply #4487 on: 09 November, 2014, 10:12:40 am »
I'm so Excited

The bizzarrest film I've seen in a long time, and absolutely hilarious. Almodóvar is a complete loon.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Jakob

« Reply #4488 on: 10 November, 2014, 08:41:56 am »

I know what you mean, in that there was no fame and fortune or sticking it to the man. BUT, if you think of his character, his notion of himself being 'real', both flirting with and rejecting success, it was an ending that made sense. He was 'doomed' to repeat the cycle for the rest of his days. Depressing or life validating, depending on your POV.

Yeah, that's what I took away from it too. Still amazed by their ability to suck you in to their characters. I want to see it again, but will wait a few months.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #4489 on: 10 November, 2014, 10:16:13 am »
Red2 - as enjoyably silly as the first one.

The Place Beyond The Pines - looked at first like it was shaping up to be a variant on 'Drive' then suddenly it went somewhere different and interesting.

(click to show/hide)

Andrew

« Reply #4490 on: 10 November, 2014, 02:15:31 pm »
Lymelife.  An intelligent, gentle and sometimes amusing coming of age tale - that includes lymes disease, infidelity and deer hunting. Recommended, good performances - with the younger Culkin brothers (who, tbh, I didn't know existed!)

I'd never heard of this movie (an independent production) so had no expectations whatsoever. For me, the perfect way to see a film. That it worked was both an added bonus and a restoration of my faith in the film industry.

« Reply #4491 on: 10 November, 2014, 11:11:24 pm »
I agree - it’s an absolute gem!

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #4492 on: 10 November, 2014, 11:21:14 pm »
Interstellar
Crap, but not wholly
Edited for fuller comments
(click to show/hide)
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

« Reply #4493 on: 11 November, 2014, 08:47:42 am »
Caught the last half of Dr Zhivago at the weekend. Forgotten how much I enjoy that film

« Reply #4494 on: 11 November, 2014, 10:03:14 am »
Last nights film was Derek Jarman's "The Last of England" shown at FACT as part of Liverpool Homotopia.

I last saw it on a B&W portable over 20 years ago, and could still remember some of the imagery. Wonderful stuff.
Only about 6 other people in the audience though :-(

Saw "Mr Turner" last week. Lovely photography & music, and Timothy Spall is magnificent. 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #4495 on: 11 November, 2014, 10:16:50 am »

There's the odd cheesy moment or three.  I got the ending within ten minutes of the start.  Nolan channels Kubrik for some of the shots, and it's lovely to look at - his dislike of CGI being what it is, the landscapes are great, but there's some stuff you can't pull off without computers.  Mind you, the computers are used appropriately so that's ok.  Weird
(click to show/hide)
cameo from an unexpected actor, and at least one made-you-jump moment.  The use of sound, and silence, is pretty good, and it looks fabulous.

Verdict: Not Quite Perfect, but I liked it.

I saw it last night and am still processing – whatever I end up thinking about it, it’s visually stunning at times and I would definitely recommend people seeing this on the big screen (rather than waiting for the small screen).

I have seen Gravity and am curious just how much Interstellar changes on second viewing – I saw Gravity twice in the cinema.  The first time out it was a huge visual spectacle, the second time it was actually quite a small film for me and the human parts of it were more to the fore.  In scope I mean, that’s not a criticism of the film.  The scale moves down on second viewing from this awesome big thing down to a much more compact human story (that was my experience YMMV of course).

Andrew

« Reply #4496 on: 11 November, 2014, 05:32:21 pm »
Breaking The Waves. A stunning performance from Emily Watson. Watch it for that alone.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #4497 on: 12 November, 2014, 02:51:16 am »
Red2 - as enjoyably silly as the first one.

The Place Beyond The Pines - looked at first like it was shaping up to be a variant on 'Drive' then suddenly it went somewhere different and interesting.

(click to show/hide)

I enjoyed both 'REDs'. I got the impression that La Mirren may have been enjoying herself, and Malkovich certainly was.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

spindrift

« Reply #4498 on: 12 November, 2014, 08:52:47 am »
Shame Mr Borgnine didn't live to make the sequel. Best autobiography title in Hollywood:

"I Dont Want To Set The World On Fire (I Just Want To Keep My Nuts Warm)"

Andrew

« Reply #4499 on: 13 November, 2014, 03:36:44 am »
The Perks of Being a Wallflower (shown in France as Charlie's World)

Awful. Hated it. The book is apparently a teenage 'must read' in the US, a newer 'Catcher In The Rye' if you will, but I've not read it. The film is trite and pretentious. It portrays teenage years of money and privelage and other than some themes, I cannot see how it resonates with a wider audience. Scripted and directed by the author of the book, it all comes across as 'look how sensitive and clever I am'. Apart from one performance (that of the gay friend Patrick), I can say little positive about the film.

It's worst crime for me was it's treatment of child abuse. Referred to, arguably a central theme, but used more as a badge to garner sympathy for characters rather than explored in any serious way. Perhaps the book does so. Perhaps the film's producers, with ticket sales and censors in mind, played it safe and in so doing lost the strength of the book.