Author Topic: Eurovision 2011  (Read 14652 times)

Re: Eurovision 2011
« Reply #175 on: 14 May, 2011, 11:23:56 pm »
Good night!

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #176 on: 14 May, 2011, 11:35:25 pm »
Gary Kasparov will be proud.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #177 on: 15 May, 2011, 12:07:23 am »
I voted for Azerbaijan.  :smug:
It is simpler than it looks.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #178 on: 15 May, 2011, 12:09:04 am »
I voted for Azerbaijan.  :smug:
I'd Baku to the hilt.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

AndyK

« Reply #179 on: 15 May, 2011, 06:50:54 am »
I have never been a fan of their music, or even their genre of music, but I feel sorry for Blue… they will forever be the Eurovision entry that was beaten by Jedward. That didn't even happen to Scooch.

« Reply #180 on: 15 May, 2011, 03:04:03 pm »
I'm a bit late, since I feel asleep through the entire live performance after doing the FNRttC, so have just watched it on iPlayer!  That did have the advantage of allowing me to fast forward through the boring stuff, and most of the voting!

Having seen the second semi-final, and the final, Moldova definitely won in the totally raving nutters category, although the competition wasn't as stiff this year, since Ireland didn't vote a glove puppet in as their competitor and went with Jedward instead, which wasn't (quite) at that same level of insanity.

The winner seemed a bit Meh to me.  If I had to pick a serious winning entry, there were a lot of others I would have gone for before Azerbaijan.  Having said that, who wants serious, Go go go Unicycling Fairy Garden Gnomes. ;D :thumbsup:
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #181 on: 15 May, 2011, 03:51:44 pm »
Unfortunately for anyone intending to go there, Baku hotels are full of oilmen with large expense accounts, & therefore mind-bogglingly overpriced.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #182 on: 15 May, 2011, 05:02:03 pm »
Given the geographical location of this year's winner, any further expansion of the competition will require a more accurate name, such as Eurasiavision. ;)
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #183 on: 15 May, 2011, 05:28:18 pm »
Israel's been in it since 1973.

Any country in the European Broadcasting Area is eligible.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #184 on: 15 May, 2011, 05:37:57 pm »
The Euro in Eurovision Song Contest comes from the European Broadcasting Union, which is how states like Israel and Egypt take part in the contest when they're not actually in geographic Europe.

I don't believe Associate members of the EBU can enter the Song Contest, but if they could, then we could have US or Australian entries. :)

(Only Active members of the EBU can take part in the contest, and there are generally about fifty countries within this category, although it goes up and down as countries become (in)eligible to join, or in some cases, cease to exist, or come into existence as countries).

« Reply #185 on: 15 May, 2011, 06:48:52 pm »
Egypt's never participated. Morocco has - once.

« Reply #186 on: 15 May, 2011, 07:15:37 pm »
Egypt's never participated. Morocco has - once.

Oh, I've got a crummy memory, I thought Egypt had participated.

« Reply #187 on: 16 May, 2011, 02:10:16 pm »
Apparently Lebanon almost did once, but there was an issue about the neighbour to the south. The Lebanese wanted to omit all mention of their participants from the broadcast (by scheduling of commercial breaks?), & were told in no uncertain terms that wasn't allowed. You transmit the entire programme, or nothing.

Tunisia was also close to participating, but didn't. I don't know if there was a similar problem.

AndyK

« Reply #188 on: 22 May, 2012, 09:33:02 pm »
Well Eurovision 2012 just kicked off with the first semi-final. Favourite for me so far is Austria with their 'Fuck him in the popo' lyric.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #189 on: 22 May, 2012, 09:52:18 pm »
I think it needs a thread of its own.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.