Author Topic: Rear lights to fit on a rack  (Read 54328 times)

Re: Rear lights to fit on a rack
« Reply #125 on: 31 January, 2011, 09:49:48 am »
Not read earlier posts but Parkers have been selling the Smart Lunar R1 for £12 and surely a bit of bodging/zip tie can reatin a lamp. I've 2 on my fixed and zipties/generic brackets work fine. A good bike shop will prob.have a bucketful of light brackets you can wadet thro'

« Reply #126 on: 31 January, 2011, 09:57:28 am »
Bledlow, do whatever you like. I have an Anlun and I think I have thrown my money away. I advise getting something that at least points in the right direction.

I think it's a useful backup personally, although you're right about the alignment being poor.  I can't find a Pixeo battery job for sale anywhere!  Don't suppose anyone fancies organising a group buy?  I've got enough on my plate with the Audax Cymru jerseys at the moment!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #127 on: 31 January, 2011, 10:29:10 am »
What about mounting a light to the rack?  That can be done on a low budget - when you find an appropriate light/bracket/bodge.  Presumably we all have racks for the bikes in question, since this thread is about lights to fit on a rack.

I think the issue is that racks without a light mount built into the design are an enormous faff to attach "standard" brackets to  - because the latter are 99% designed for large tubes of seat-stay or seatpost size.

If I don't do it, someone else will mention the Hebie adaptor (for the 7th time):
Hebie ARC J82S SL Rack Fitting Light Bracket

These are great, but at £8 is a little dear compared to £6 lights (and you need one for every rack, or two to attach 2 lights.)

I am interested in "good" bodges. The only one I've found is the scrap-piece-of-seatpost trick (described often on the CTC site) Sounds quite effective, but quite a lot of DIY required  :-\
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #128 on: 31 January, 2011, 11:12:30 am »
Don't think this one has been mentioned before:

Raleigh Rear Led Light 2 x 0.5 Watt LED

Note it takes 2 x AA (not AAA) so it's quite a bit larger/heavier than most 1/2 watt flashers.
Also has a couple of regular LEDs if you want a non-dazzling mode for group riding.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #129 on: 31 January, 2011, 11:23:39 am »
I would like to see brackets especially and well made for racks without built-on mounts, but without, it only takes a few minutes worth of faff with lights such as Smart Lunar and RSP Astrum.

Some bulking-up is needed with tape or shim, but not an enormous amount.  Add a zip tie or two if support is needed to stop if drooping.

£11.88 and £16.19 (posted) is cheap enough, especially considering they are super-bright.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #130 on: 31 January, 2011, 12:17:25 pm »
Bledlow, do whatever you like. I have an Anlun and I think I have thrown my money away. I advise getting something that at least points in the right direction.

I think it's a useful backup personally, although you're right about the alignment being poor.  I can't find a Pixeo battery job for sale anywhere!  Don't suppose anyone fancies organising a group buy? 
I've searched assiduously, but can't find any Spanninga mudguard-mounted battery lights for sale in this country. I did find a Dutch shop which had a low basic price & would give a bulk discount. Referenced earlier in this thread - ah! Found the e-mails.

To send products to the UK is no problem. Normal are the shipping costs € 4,95. To send it to the UK it is € 9,95.
The Spanninga Pixeo rear light are € 8,50. If you want more than 10 I can make another price for you.
My English is not very best but I can read and write it a little.

I have look for the price's if you want order 10 or more.
The Pixeo on battery's (aaa) with on/off switch are € 5,95.
The Pixeo on battery's (aaa) with on/auto/off switch are € 7,95
The Pixeo on cable with stand light are € 8,95

With friendly regards,

Wybe Pol
Altaflex Fiets + Techniek
Schoolstraat 48a
9581 GC Musselkanaal
0599-61 75 34
Altaflex Fiets + Techniek. Webshop en Speciaalzaak.

info@altaflex.nl

I think the postage per unit would also be less for a bulk buy. Prices from 24 November 2010, probably still valid.

If someone got together a bulk purchase (I'm not volunteering - too much crap happening round here right now, unfortunately) I'd take one.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #131 on: 31 January, 2011, 12:24:52 pm »
This is my effort here, based on others I've seen and the little light mount pillar you get with a Madison:-

Homemade Rack Mount - a set on Flickr

Obviously easier if you've got all the bits lying around, I used a bit off an old mop/broom handle, it's thin metal. Then I squished on end flat in the vice, drilled two holes to match the mounting plate on rack, slid on some tubular foam bar grip and bashed in a bar end cap to round it off. Just used two standard bolts to attach to the bike and have a couple of smart brackets on it. I may have gone too long as I could comfortably fit 4 lights on it, but it's almost no weight and, so far, rock solid. The only bit that could be an issue would be if you wanted to mount a rack pack. But you could always mount this bracket sideways on if desired.

With the bits I have lying around I could probably put together another 3 to 4, happy to do so if anyone would like one. Obviously would need to leave the drilling the holes, supply of bolts/fixings, to you, but I can pop the rest in the post. Just send me a PM....Al
Nuns, no sense of humour

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #132 on: 31 January, 2011, 12:28:43 pm »
I would like to see brackets especially and well made for racks without built-on mounts, but without, it only takes a few minutes worth of faff with lights such as Smart Lunar and RSP Astrum.

Some bulking-up is needed with tape or shim, but not an enormous amount.  Add a zip tie or two if support is needed to stop if drooping.

Some racks might be easier, but the ones that I find a real arse are like this:

Buy Blackburn Blackburn EX-1+ Disc Compatible Pannier Rack - black from SJS Cycles, fast delivery for the UK

Madison Ridge rear cycle pannier rack

The easiest attachment is to the stays, but then panniers foul them
Maybe I need better DIY skills to make a bracket? Dunno ...

(I really must get round to buying something built for lights to put on the Audax bike!)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #133 on: 31 January, 2011, 12:42:02 pm »
It'll depend on your panniers as well.  My bracket at the top of an ordinary rack stay doesn't get obstructed by a smallish-medium pannier.

Otherwise, yes, more faff required, perhaps.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #134 on: 31 January, 2011, 01:07:25 pm »
This is my solution (for my Dinotte(s))

It is simpler than it looks.

LindaG

« Reply #135 on: 31 January, 2011, 01:11:43 pm »
You can just see my Cateye (RIP) fixed to the back of my new Tortec rack (RIP) on my new Pompino (RIP).

LOGIN

It worked really well, no interference whatsoever from panniers.

« Reply #136 on: 31 January, 2011, 02:39:23 pm »
You can just see my Cateye (RIP) fixed to the back of my new Tortec rack (RIP) on my new Pompino (RIP).

LOGIN

It worked really well, no interference whatsoever from panniers.

I have the same rack (but in silver) and the same cateye (only in white) on my Fuji. Your pomp was such a lovely bike  :'(

« Reply #137 on: 31 January, 2011, 03:05:03 pm »
(I really must get round to buying something built for lights to put on the Audax bike!)
Tortec Ultralite has a light bar with all the holes.

Oops! Ms Gordinho has beaten me to it.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #138 on: 31 January, 2011, 03:20:36 pm »
Tortec Ultralite has a light bar with all the holes.

The only thing I would say about the Tortec is it is quite a narrow rack, and the velcro strapped on type rack bags can tend to flop around from side to side on it a bit. They don't actually fall off though and it is a very very light rack.
You have to buy a special cateye bracket for the rack but it was only £3.19
   Wiggle | Cateye Rear Carrier Mounting Light Spares
and it is quick release.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #139 on: 31 January, 2011, 03:21:36 pm »
Thanks Bledlow. I'm sure I'll find something suitable, lots of racks seem to have the mounts - it's just unfortunate that I've previously bought several bikes with racks lacking them!

Maybe ... I can't see Linda's picture  ???
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #140 on: 31 January, 2011, 03:22:57 pm »
Thanks Bledlow. I'm sure I'll find something suitable, lots of racks seem to have the mounts - it's just unfortunate that I've previously bought several bikes with racks lacking them!

Maybe ... I can't see Linda's picture  ???

Can't you? Try http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm310/lindagordinho/Fixed009.jpg

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #141 on: 31 January, 2011, 03:25:31 pm »
You could get a bracket like this to provide mounting holes : Busch+Muller Rear Carrier Fitting Bracket AMBA Marketing
It should be able to attach to most racks.

« Reply #142 on: 31 January, 2011, 03:40:29 pm »
The only thing I would say about the Tortec is it is quite a narrow rack, and the velcro strapped on type rack bags can tend to flop around from side to side on it a bit. They don't actually fall off though and it is a very very light rack. ...

The narrow Tortec racks, and similar, aren't really meant for top bags, but for carrying panniers.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #143 on: 31 January, 2011, 03:56:36 pm »
The narrow Tortec Ultralite is fine with a Carradice Prima or Super C rack top bag if you have the straps tight.  Fit the bag with the straps fairly loose to begin with, then retighten each strap in turn, pulling hard.

Tortec does some larger racks as well, also with light mounting plates.

« Reply #144 on: 31 January, 2011, 04:54:56 pm »
The narrow Tortec Ultralite is fine with a Carradice Prima or Super C rack top bag if you have the straps tight.  Fit the bag with the straps fairly loose to begin with, then retighten each strap in turn, pulling hard.

Tortec does some larger racks as well, also with light mounting plates.

That is good to know. I might just have to do a full conversion over to Carradice now I have their bar bag and my new Super C Barley ready to go on my new bike  ;D

« Reply #145 on: 31 January, 2011, 05:41:07 pm »
+1. I found it fine with a Super C.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #146 on: 31 January, 2011, 10:29:21 pm »
an easy and lightweight bodge can be done using p-clips and a part of bracket that the light clips into. but i personally wouldn't mount the light where i can't reach it while riding (to turn on/off/change mode as and when needed).

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #147 on: 31 January, 2011, 11:13:27 pm »
Of course I used to have a handlebar-mounted rear light on/off switch in my yoof (and a homemade brake light), but nowdays don't mind not having that sh1t for the sake of neater cabling.  Getting off the saddle to switch the light is not really much of a bovver after all.

« Reply #148 on: 06 February, 2011, 10:09:26 am »
The only thing I would say about the Tortec is it is quite a narrow rack, and the velcro strapped on type rack bags can tend to flop around from side to side on it a bit. They don't actually fall off though and it is a very very light rack. ...

The narrow Tortec racks, and similar, aren't really meant for top bags, but for carrying panniers.

I don't consider the Tortec Ultralite as narrow at all. My Creek2Peak rackpack fits on it perfectly well and it's not a thin rack pack.

The Tubus Fly, however, is much thinner and rubbish for rack packs (but fine for panniers obviously).

Anyway, back on topic...

After a few recent incidents I'm going to stop recommending the B&M D'Toplight. My complaints with them are:
* The single screw that holds it all together falls out too easily. On a recent commute I hit a bump in the road and the whole thing committed suicide into the road (recovered but the screw is lost). Poor design.
* I've had 2 with dodgy switches meaning I have to find the magic position somewhere between on and off for it to work (luckily it stayed in this position once on). More poor design.

It's a shame because I like the rest of the design (the size/shape and the built in reflector) and it's not stupidly bright so it won't dazzle people in 2 tonnes of metal coming up behind me at speed.

Time to get a Cateye carrier mount and use some of my old Cateyes (TL-LD1100) although it does leave me without a rear reflector.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #149 on: 06 February, 2011, 09:36:16 pm »
I wish there was a bracket for fitting a Smart rear light to a Blackburn rack :(
Getting there...