Author Topic: Strava  (Read 62048 times)

Re: Strava
« Reply #150 on: 09 December, 2016, 10:36:47 pm »
For such a large and popular site Strava has a poorly implemented search facility - main beef is a lack of any date ordering.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #151 on: 14 December, 2016, 01:45:19 pm »
Hey there, some people do long exciting ride and find the description a little lacking in functionality. So they (Strava) have teamed up with Storytellers.fit to let you be more imaginative with the rides!

http://storyteller.fit/

« Reply #152 on: 17 October, 2017, 04:18:20 pm »
What have they done to the web interface?! Ugh. :hand:

« Reply #153 on: 17 October, 2017, 05:31:46 pm »
What have they done to the web interface?! Ugh. :hand:

It's fucking awful! I know that much!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #154 on: 17 October, 2017, 06:45:15 pm »
Ah, not just me then.

They seem to have meddled with the app, too.

« Reply #155 on: 17 October, 2017, 07:14:55 pm »
Here was my feedback to them: https://twitter.com/alexgreenbank/status/916408843772547073

[EDIT] Ah, I thought you were on about the algorithmic feed (rather than chornological ordering).

With the new UI I just thought my browser had lost its fonts or css cache or something. Ugh.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #156 on: 17 October, 2017, 07:19:34 pm »
Another step towards the total facebookification of Strava...

My first impression was that I quite liked it, but the more I dig down into it, the less I like it.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #157 on: 17 October, 2017, 08:34:00 pm »
Webshite version is horrible! iPhone app is actually decent!

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #158 on: 11 December, 2019, 03:05:08 pm »
Sorry for waking this up again.

I haven't used strava for a while, but now I'm getting random post send to me, surly bots, about using a sex app, avatar of a lady in underwear etc . Has there been an update that changed your default/security settings, Like what farcebook did over the years?

Goes to dig into the settings ...
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #159 on: 11 December, 2019, 04:06:49 pm »
I've recently stopped paying for Strava.
All I've noticed is I'm using a different service for heatmaps (statshunter) and I see adverts... for Strava Summit.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #160 on: 11 December, 2019, 05:05:53 pm »
I've recently stopped paying for Strava.
All I've noticed is I'm using a different service for heatmaps (statshunter) and I see adverts... for Strava Summit.

You get the adverts even if you pay!
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #161 on: 11 December, 2019, 05:13:36 pm »
They’re a lot less intrusive if you’re a paying customer. Though Strava is kind of a case study in making the paid experience feel no different than the free experience - you mostly get half baked features no one gets excited about.

There was a rash of boob account spam a couple of years back, but it disappeared as quickly as it came.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #162 on: 11 December, 2019, 05:58:38 pm »
Don't have any ads on Strava web, because of browser plug in. Stava app I got a few, as I'm not a paying customer.

But it is the spam messages and friend request by not very dressed ladies telling me I could join them in a off-site bit of naughty.that annoy me. I'm happely married, I didn't join Strava as a dating site, but to track my very few rides.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #163 on: 11 December, 2019, 06:26:40 pm »
I've never had any of those, maybe I'm doing the wrong sort of rides?  It's usually just friend requests from random cyclists where the challenge is working out if it's someone who I've actually met on a ride or something.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #164 on: 11 December, 2019, 06:45:18 pm »
Me neither.

I get the occasional random follower where I have no idea who they are, they are not anyone Ive ridden with.
Often from another country.

Are the dubious ads actually in the Strava app, or just popping up over it from elsewhere?

« Reply #165 on: 11 December, 2019, 07:06:33 pm »
I've had them, you just block them or ignore them (can't remember which).

They're spammers (obviously) who go to the trouble of registering a Strava account and then searching for people to send friend requests to.

But it is the spam messages and friend request by not very dressed ladies telling me I could join them in a off-site bit of naughty.that annoy me. I'm happely married, I didn't join Strava as a dating site, but to track my very few rides.

If you want to avoid spam completely then you'd have to stay off the Internet completely. Think of the occasional spammer that makes it on to yacf to post their crap, nothing is immune to it.

« Reply #166 on: 12 December, 2019, 08:05:08 am »
DC Rainmaker tweeted about the recent Strava spam:-

https://twitter.com/dcrainmakerblog/status/1204903246420226048

« Reply #167 on: 18 May, 2020, 08:12:04 pm »

« Reply #168 on: 18 May, 2020, 08:56:44 pm »
Looks a tad worrying. They are not exactly encouraging people to become paid members with that approach. I think I'll start regularly downloading my data, just in case the worst happens at some point.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #169 on: 18 May, 2020, 09:11:37 pm »
/s
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #170 on: 18 May, 2020, 09:21:34 pm »
I think I'll start regularly downloading my data, just in case the worst happens at some point.

I use a Garmin device to record my rides which are then uploaded to the Garmin connect website, which I also have synced to Ride with GPS. You can't be too careful  ;)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #171 on: 18 May, 2020, 10:03:57 pm »
Having read the announcement, all I can say is. Meh.
I've got everything on RWGPS too, but may go for a major download, used to do it regularly but got out the habbit when Garmin brought in automatic linking between their systems and others (and I've since fallen out with garmin)

It's a social network as far as I'm concerned, and that bit seems to be staying.
All the interesting stuff that hangs off it like routing and graphs to analyse, RWGPS seems to do better...

although Veloviewer, hm.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #172 on: 18 May, 2020, 10:36:54 pm »

Thanks for the heads up, just downloaded my archive, just incase.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #173 on: 18 May, 2020, 10:56:14 pm »
They've been tinkering with what's paid and what's free since forever. I don't see what the worry is.

Finally charging for the bit people get excited about rather than trying to charge for shoddy bolt-on features means they might get somewhere.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #174 on: 18 May, 2020, 11:27:46 pm »
They've been tinkering with what's paid and what's free since forever. I don't see what the worry is.

Finally charging for the bit people get excited about rather than trying to charge for shoddy bolt-on features means they might get somewhere.

One thing they seem to have fixed is the stupid summit brand. Also rather than different paid packages, it's just paid, or not paid. That's a good decision.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/