Author Topic: Dave Lewis  (Read 20870 times)

Re: Dave Lewis
« Reply #25 on: 24 November, 2012, 01:18:48 pm »
Sad news, I remember him from the 2007 Elenith. His toughness will help him I'm sure.

« Reply #26 on: 24 November, 2012, 02:29:49 pm »
Absolutely gutted for him and Anne..... :'(

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #27 on: 24 November, 2012, 02:44:36 pm »
One of only 8 riders to have exceeded 1000 points:
(list)

We think Liz Creese should also be on that list (and she was probably the 1st rider to pass 1000).

Dave by his own reckoning was the 3rd rider to pass that landmark and now has 1805
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #28 on: 26 November, 2012, 02:30:41 pm »
I'm just having a big clear out, so I've just read the 2010 Mersey Roads Programme. Dave's down there as helping fund the race. Thank's for that.

Dave Lewis
« Reply #29 on: 16 January, 2013, 06:26:54 pm »
Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere already, but just had the following from Tony Pember:

"We are  very sorry to have to tell you that our Dear friend Dave peacefully passed away this afternoon.
Could you pass this on to anyone you think needs to know thank you

Take Care All Kathy & Tony"

I knew Dave for the last 6 years or so and was lucky to enjoy many of his rides, ride a Mersey roads together and travel to and from PBP '11 with him as part of a group of 5.  Dave was a really great guy to be around and did a lot to welcome others to our sport.  He'll be sadly missed.

Andy
'Accumulating kilometres in the roughest road conditions'...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #30 on: 16 January, 2013, 06:32:58 pm »
Really sorry to read this.
Thoughts and condolences to Anne and all those left behind.

« Reply #31 on: 16 January, 2013, 06:34:55 pm »
That's extremely sad news indeed.

You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #32 on: 16 January, 2013, 06:40:21 pm »
This is very sad news indeed,  :'(

But, I am glad for everything Dave achieved in cycling and for everything he gave back to cycling.  I have many good memories of riding with Dave on his (and other) events. 

« Reply #33 on: 16 January, 2013, 06:53:07 pm »
Such sad news.
#makewattsnotwar

Dave Lewis
« Reply #34 on: 16 January, 2013, 06:56:52 pm »
Really sorry to hear this, Dave was a great guy. My condolences to family and friends.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #35 on: 16 January, 2013, 07:03:32 pm »
Very sad news indeed. 

My sincere condolences for his friends and family.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #36 on: 16 January, 2013, 07:08:24 pm »
It brings it home that Audax UK has been going since 1976. It's a mature organisation, and one of the marks of maturity is that people pass on. It makes me keener that AUK should go from strength to strength rather than dwindling away. There's lots of AUK members who never rode with Dave, which is as it should be in a growing community.
I had to check the founding date for AUK, and it was contained in this text.

Usually referred to as Audax UK or AUK, it was established in 1976. Audax UK oversees the running of long distance cycling events in the UK, and, using a system of timed checkpoints, validates and records every successful ride.

The cycling events listed in the calendar will take you on some of the best roads for cycling in the UK. The rides are open to everyone. There are a wide range of rides (from about 50km up to 600km), so if you like riding a bike you should find something you'll enjoy.

I take that to mean that AUK is an organisation that notices you passing through. I'm pleased to remember passing through a lot of places in Dave's company, if not directly, then on the same rides.
I seemed to constantly crossing his path on LELs, he seemed to spend more time asleep than me, but he rode faster. I'll be remembering where our paths crossed this July.

Hillbilly

« Reply #37 on: 16 January, 2013, 07:18:38 pm »
So sorry to read this.  I have some fond memories of riding Dave's events, riding with him for a time on random events or chatting at controls either as co-rider or where he was unselfishly giving up his time in the back of beyond.  He is one of the strongest memories of my early audax "career" (both for his presence on events and for the inspiration he provided in being a winner).  Hopefully Anne, his family and his close friends can take some small comfort in the high regard with which Dave will be remembered, both as a cyclist and a man.

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #38 on: 16 January, 2013, 07:25:44 pm »
What a great guy Dave was and so dedicated to anything he committed to. His development of the early AAA scheme and as Organiser of Calendar and Permanents, all showed enthusiasm and friendship. Even his Eire series of Perms had character. Controls that were just locations with no shop/ATM – so you just took a pic or described the scene and rode on. I had the pleasure (or is that privilege) to ride his last 600 from Pontardawe to Warrington, an absolute classic with a final 30km descent to dream for. Also, when I was a bit faster, I shared Dave’s wheel tracks but he was also a faster (albeit younger too) TT-man.
Dave implanted many of the values that have become the norm for our events. His loss is accepted with sadness and my deepest sympathy to Anne.
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

« Reply #39 on: 16 January, 2013, 07:32:28 pm »
Sad news.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #40 on: 16 January, 2013, 07:33:40 pm »
Mine and Dave's paths only crossed a couple of times.
We chatted briefly last Summer at a control at Shepherds patch, he seemed such a great bloke and will obviously be greatly missed by those who shared many of his cycling adventures.
I regret being a DNS on his last 600. I was a bit frazzled after a cycling trip to France and it was a bit daunting at the time.

It would be nice to see a big turn out at this event of Dave's now being run by Tony Pember.

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/13-367/
"And I been up to my neck in pleasure
              Up to my neck in pain"

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
Dave Lewis
« Reply #41 on: 16 January, 2013, 10:31:45 pm »
Dave was one of my first Audax heroes. A real inspiration to me when I was a newbie, (and still) and he seemed to have time to talk to anyone.

RIP Dave
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #42 on: 17 January, 2013, 08:37:14 am »
Can't quite believe it, one of the good guys

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #43 on: 17 January, 2013, 09:12:35 am »
Dave was someone who liked to live life to the full.  I imagine a long illness must have been especially hard for him.  I hope Anne's going to manage OK.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #44 on: 17 January, 2013, 09:33:05 am »
I am really sorry to hear this. I started audaxing thanks to Dave events, he was always keen to share his experience. My sincere condolences to Anne and his family.
Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #45 on: 17 January, 2013, 09:41:23 am »

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #46 on: 17 January, 2013, 09:51:42 am »
Sad sad news. I had the pleasure of riding several short events with him, his smile and his warmth, back in the early 90s - a super star

« Reply #47 on: 17 January, 2013, 10:03:28 am »

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #48 on: 17 January, 2013, 10:16:15 am »
An AUK Legend...

http://www.ukcyclist.org.uk/david-lewis/314-david-lewis

I knew he had put in the miles - but reading that is truly inspiring stuff!  Legend is right.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #49 on: 17 January, 2013, 10:48:35 am »
I am really sad about this news about my dear friend who I met at University, he studied History and I studied Civil Engineering.  We lost touch but I discovered him again years later from the Audax magazine. 
He was riding in the Wales area where we met and me in Yorkshire.
Occasionally we met on rides as he was such a strong rider and a very caring and kind man. I remember meeting on the 2007 PBP where he was driving a team through to the finish.

Chris Wilby