Author Topic: Three Steps to Severn (600 km) Saturday 19/07/2014  (Read 3138 times)

jogler

• mojo operandi
Re: Three Steps to Severn (600 km) Saturday 19/07/2014
« Reply #25 on: 26 July, 2014, 09:23:24 pm »
aamoi there is a decent bike shop in Welshpool

321up

• 59° N
« Reply #26 on: 27 July, 2014, 02:21:38 pm »

Thanks, worth knowing for future reference.  In my early days of cycle touring I used to carry a CTC directory of recommended cycle shops - I wonder if they still do that?  We tried a google map search in Newtown but just got a motor cycle shop.  I expect that if we had tried harder we might have found a cycle shop along the route but we did not want to waste time hunting around and decided that the likelyhood of a second catistrophic tyre failure was low.  It's worth knowing that cycle hire places often have workshop tools - we had to make use of such facilities on a recent permanent.

« Reply #27 on: 28 July, 2014, 01:40:48 pm »
I noted some bus shelter accommodation on the road to Gloucester for future reference, but unfortunately none that would sleep 2.

I suppose you need to find a pair of bus shelters, one on each side of the road.

JayP

• You must be joking
« Reply #28 on: 28 July, 2014, 06:25:01 pm »
I noted some bus shelter accommodation on the road to Gloucester for future reference, but unfortunately none that would sleep 2.

I suppose you need to find a pair of bus shelters, one on each side of the road.

and, of course, a pair of Kirtons  :facepalm:

« Reply #29 on: 29 July, 2014, 01:23:57 pm »

Thanks, worth knowing for future reference.  In my early days of cycle touring I used to carry a CTC directory of recommended cycle shops - I wonder if they still do that?  We tried a google map search in Newtown but just got a motor cycle shop.  I expect that if we had tried harder we might have found a cycle shop along the route but we did not want to waste time hunting around and decided that the likelyhood of a second catistrophic tyre failure was low.  It's worth knowing that cycle hire places often have workshop tools - we had to make use of such facilities on a recent permanent.
I have an app called Bikehub which gives the nearest bikeshops.
Web version :- http://www.bikehub.co.uk/ there is a search for bike shop by post code (top left) but also works with place name.

321up

• 59° N
« Reply #30 on: 30 July, 2014, 10:20:42 am »
I have an app called Bikehub which gives the nearest bikeshops.
Web version :- http://www.bikehub.co.uk/ there is a search for bike shop by post code (top left) but also works with place name.

Thanks, I'll try it out.

I've just checked and the CycleStreets app also shows cycle shops under points of interest - didn't think of it on the day  :facepalm:

http://www.cyclestreets.net/

I've used the CycleStreets app for journey planning & navigation in the past.  You can choose route options "quietest" "balanced" "shortest" and "fastest".  In my experience the "fastest" option stays on road but doesn't avoid busy roads, the others utilise off road alternatives such as cyclepaths when available.  You can also download free offline maps.  As with any route planner you might not like where it sends you - on one occasion on "balanced" it sent me along a track that turned into a bridlepath that went across a muddy cow field as it was getting dark!  Otherwise a good app.