Author Topic: The Buzzard 2014  (Read 9809 times)

Euan Uzami

Re: The Buzzard 2014
« Reply #25 on: 13 June, 2014, 08:43:26 am »
I'm planning on probably riding it this year unless it's forecast to be ridiculously hot again, and planning on using the travelodge to get some sleep. Just for quality of sleep I think I would prefer that to a hall, and the route seems really well positioned to be convenient for two travelodges.

I think if you were having any TLC control I would have it at about 500km or just after, although I appreciate people are more spread out by then - you could just open it from say 10am and anyone who's uber fast misses out.

Nut sure what form it would take - maybe a gazebo with pimms. Or a barbecue.  ;) :P

TheLemming

• LBRCC
« Reply #26 on: 19 June, 2014, 12:54:25 pm »
Giving some serious thought to riding this one - it's starting practically on my doorstep so its a rare opportunity not to have to do an hour or two's car ride beforehand.

Slightly worried that I haven't done the distance before however - I've done at least a 200k a month since Feb this year, but will have my second 300k Saturday.

Am I thinking of biting off more than I can chew?

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #27 on: 19 June, 2014, 01:01:26 pm »

Am I thinking of biting off more than I can chew?

It's not really for us to say. 

Are you finishing the 200s and 300s in good shape?  No major discomfort? 

Plenty of people jump from 2/300 to 600 without issue.   If you're comfy and determined, you can go a long way. 
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #28 on: 20 June, 2014, 05:58:38 pm »
And the only way to find out is to do it really.

I think we all probably had a sleepless night before our first 300/400/600 - can I really do this distance?  :jurek: :facepalm: .

I know I did - maybe it's just me  ;D

The step into the unknown is one of the things that is most daunting about audax.

You will almost certainly be fine. Go for it.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #29 on: 23 June, 2014, 03:16:29 am »
Hi

I'm new to this forum and kind of new to Audax too, although I've done a lot of touring and racing in the past.

So this will be my first 600. I live in Thailand and we've just started having BRM events (200 and 300), which are very well organised - however this Buzzard 600 is basic so I'd just like some info and advise about going through the check points

- so any receipt from shop will do? Just has to be in the town that is specified on the route sheet?

- sorry I havent been to the UK for a while, let alone rode through the night. Do you have shops open 24h ?I'm just thinking in Wells, for example, at say 3am ...?

- same for the finish? any place in LB?

I'll be staying in LB at The Hunt Lodge on Friday night. Not sure yet how I'll be getting there, probably train/bike. I'll be coming from Warminster so if anyone can offer me a lift I'd be super happy to take it.

Final thing - not stricly related to the B600, but how does anyone go through 30h on a Garmin? Do you recharge en-route? Any recomendations?

Thanks and see you there

Bryce (also known as Ben)

caerau

« Reply #30 on: 23 June, 2014, 08:40:15 am »
There are plenty of 24 hour petrol stations en route so you should be ok for shops open. Yes receipt or cashpoint receipt anywhere in any of the control points is fine.

Good luck and if you can get to Wells by 3am you'll be going better than I did last year. Was a lovely sunny morning stop for me last year ( I slept at the Traveloge near Tiverton mind)

I carry a portable battery to keep the Garmin charged up - tecknet something or other. Other makes exist - I used it all the way on the Bryan Chapman this year. Garmin had 100% battery power at the end and Is used only 25% of the portable battery's charge.

Good luck on the ride :)

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #31 on: 23 June, 2014, 09:43:50 am »
An ATM print off of account balance will be good as it will give location and time, - sometimes the ATM does not need an actual cash withdrawal - but sometimes it does -- this could be expensive if using a debit card from an overseas bank.
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

« Reply #32 on: 24 June, 2014, 01:04:04 am »
thanks for the advice !

Bugloss

« Reply #33 on: 24 June, 2014, 10:07:08 am »
There's likely to be nothing open in Wells during Saturday night after 24:00. Tescos has a couple of ATM's.

« Reply #34 on: 24 June, 2014, 11:29:58 am »
THERES A 24 HOUR BUDGENS JUST OFF ROUTE AT BRIDGWATER OPEN 24/7 IF YOU ARE DESPERATE
Purely ride fixed

« Reply #35 on: 26 June, 2014, 01:02:27 am »
What would you do if......

.....you had an entry for the Buzzard, had had a 'mare of an audax year - DNF'ing your last 600 due to somewhat inclement weather - Brimstone, had packed in the National 24 due to a whole range of issues - mostly about heatstroke and poor bike fit, had a cheap Travelodge night booked in Leighton Buzzard on the 11th July BUT also fancied the Dun Run?  Leighton-London Fields-Dunwich-Leighton.

I'm struggling to make a choice between either one of these two options OR, option 3, just staying home in Devon for the weekend.  For ages I've been toying with cycling the whole perimeter of Devon in a single ride and I've a whole weekend free here that I could use.

Perhaps a poll?

caerau

« Reply #36 on: 26 June, 2014, 07:26:13 am »
I'd may be post here and ask for a poll... :demon:

caerau

« Reply #37 on: 26 June, 2014, 07:27:33 am »
More helpfully, it sounds like you've rather made up your mind there - re the Devon thing to me.

TheLemming

• LBRCC
« Reply #38 on: 26 June, 2014, 01:44:18 pm »
Signed up. Now the low grade panic begins :-)

The question is sleep or not mid-ride...

« Reply #39 on: 26 June, 2014, 01:53:28 pm »
The route is designed so that there are opportunities to sleep at around 370km. You are recommended to think about sleep arrangements.  No hard and fast rules cos everyone is different.

« Reply #40 on: 28 June, 2014, 10:16:46 am »
A brief note regarding the Routesheet...
2nd exit rbt sp Compton 128.0 km   
This is a big busy one with fast & sometimes impatient traffic as the first exit goes to the M3 - treat with caution.
There are then 3 further mini rbts before the one at  which you turn right for Chandlers Ford
Straight on at the first two.
At the third one my strong recommendation is that you take the cycle path up the hill.   
Get on the pavement(shared use) at the ped crossing light immediately before the rbt, cross the first exit, and the cycle path is dead ahead.
http://goo.gl/maps/r5r83
Reason for that strong recommendation is that the road was narrowed a few years back to make room for the cycle path, and has since been "traffic-calmed" and the chicanes make it impossible for motons to overtake you as you grind your way up the incline which maxes out at 10%
Rejoin the road at the top of the hill just before the bus stop and the roundabout at which you turn right  for Chandlers Ford is a couple of hundred metres further on.

The PoP for the Chandlers Ford control which involves least kilometres is the Tesco Express / ATM / Chinese Takeaway / Post Office at SO53 5RD

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #41 on: 28 June, 2014, 10:30:43 am »
Do not know the road - but very much appreciate the advice - slow up a 10% hill with frustrated drivers behind sounds bad news to me .
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

« Reply #42 on: 28 June, 2014, 01:35:26 pm »
I had driver give me a mouthful on that bit as I never noticed the cycle path until I started climbing up and been fenced off you can not get onto it once you pass the entrance to it

« Reply #43 on: 29 June, 2014, 07:13:05 pm »
My first 600 and right on my doorstep, I live in Leighton Buzzard. A few are riding from my club, four I think but not as a group. Two of us, me included are on our first SR. And the other two have taken the 'well it would be rude not to' approach as it's local.

Only issue is a ruptured/torn tendon in my upper arm that has only started to clear up after three months. Hopefully Rock tape and a jab will see me through. That's what you get when you arse about on mountainbikes.

My blog.... www.smilerbiker.blogspot.co.uk

'Pick it up and run'

« Reply #44 on: 02 July, 2014, 07:20:58 pm »
Right, I think I'll head off tomorrow for a Buzzard perm and routecheck. Up to date routesheets should be ready shortly after.

« Reply #45 on: 05 July, 2014, 01:40:38 pm »
An email has been sent to all entrants.

Here's a map of the route.

« Reply #46 on: 05 July, 2014, 03:53:35 pm »
Ian - many thanks for the GPX files on your website, however they did cause a little confusion in Château BikinOn as there are 8 files but the route sheet has 9 sections. Fortunately the missing control point appears to be Pangbourne, in the first stretch, if it had been somewhere I'd hit at around 4am I would expect to have sailed through it completely oblivious  ;D

Others my wish to adjust their files accordingly  :thumbsup:

« Reply #47 on: 05 July, 2014, 06:37:57 pm »
Ian - many thanks for the GPX files on your website, however they did cause a little confusion in Château BikinOn as there are 8 files but the route sheet has 9 sections. Fortunately the missing control point appears to be Pangbourne, in the first stretch, if it had been somewhere I'd hit at around 4am I would expect to have sailed through it completely oblivious  ;D

Others my wish to adjust their files accordingly  :thumbsup:

Ah yes. I ought to remove Pangbourne as a control. The reason for it being there is no longer strictly applicable.

« Reply #48 on: 05 July, 2014, 08:17:13 pm »
So, no receipt need for Pangbourne then?

BTW, any recommendations for bivi-bag stops points? My interest in using a hotel for 2 hours is zero  :)

« Reply #49 on: 05 July, 2014, 08:23:39 pm »
So, no receipt need for Pangbourne then?

I would get one. Mine is not the final say re validation.

BTW, any recommendations for bivi-bag stops points? My interest in using a hotel for 2 hours is zero  :)

It's mostly rural between Taunton and Wells. Plenty of quiet fields.