Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3915479 times)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #20725 on: 06 February, 2017, 12:07:05 am »
YES!!!!

Only 5k but my first ride since August.

<Rinse & repeat>
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #20726 on: 06 February, 2017, 10:18:57 am »
Yep!  A beautiful frosty morning, lots of ice about so I was taking it very carefully.

The bracket on my dynamo lamp broke and it skittered off down the road  :(
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #20727 on: 06 February, 2017, 10:33:49 am »
Has the warranty run out on everything, Ruthie?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #20728 on: 06 February, 2017, 11:32:22 am »
Has the warranty run out on everything, Ruthie?

Everything.  Every.  Thing.   ::-)
Milk please, no sugar.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #20729 on: 07 February, 2017, 04:46:07 pm »
Dratted spare  KB, just lost two paragraphs of deathless prose. Fukkit.

Anyway, did a 30k on Sun & a 50 yest in company of El Presidente, so perforce sedate although I had a bit of fun on the climbs. El Prez did not have fun: his missus overfeeds him and he's had no exercise since before Christmas: when we stopped for coffee his face was grey.

Weather was disobliging: we set out in 8°C that climbed to 11° and had us sweltering; then when we were nice and sweaty the clouds came over and it dropped to 5°and had us shivering. Bleh.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #20730 on: 08 February, 2017, 12:44:41 pm »
Well, it was cold and grey and damp, and the roads were muddy wet and full of holes.  But as I haven't been out much recently it was a delight.  30 miles at a steady pace through the Hampshire Downs between Crondall and Alton. 
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #20731 on: 08 February, 2017, 04:01:24 pm »
Having not been on the bike for 5 weeks as a result of being ill, bad weather, working/volunteering a couple of days a week and some hospital appointments I ventured out today (to meet up with the club run at the lunch pub) - decided to take the fixed (SA 3 speed fixed hub - wheel acquired from Charlotte OTP) to give the legs a workout.

Only rode a total of 29 miles but returned absolutely knackered - and upcoming weather looks grim again for any riding to try and regain some fitness  :(

Rob

« Reply #20732 on: 08 February, 2017, 07:53:07 pm »
Not a proper ride (that was last Saturday in the ACME series), but rode across London (on the folder, after commuting) from King's Cross to Hammersmith to visit a supplier, then back to the office in Islington. Furthest I've been by bike in that direction, and as ever connected up some places where I've previously popped up out of Tube stations.

It was really quite a fun ride on the London cycle routes and across the Royal Parks.

« Reply #20733 on: 11 February, 2017, 03:37:28 pm »
Across the Moss on the muddy bike and around Woolston Eyes, the track is becoming unrideable due to the mahoosive brambles, evidenced by the cuts on my hands and the hissing noise as I put the bike away, at least it got me home. 25 chilly km

« Reply #20734 on: 12 February, 2017, 05:15:53 pm »
York - ripon - masham - middleham - Northallerton, where I hopped on a train home.

About 70 miles, including meandering where I took the odd wrong turn. Miserable icey drizzle the whole time, headwinds for the last 20 miles; it felt like a proper ride.

I really must get some overshoes, and was an idiot for not taking my waterproof overmitts.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #20735 on: 12 February, 2017, 09:21:00 pm »
16 miles over to Barns Green to meet up with the Tandem Club (inc Russell OTP and Mrs. Russell).  Then 32 miles of lovely, if nippy, Sussex lanes, with coffee and lunch stops (where I devoured the Food of Champions), back to Barns Green for a swift coffee, then 16 miles into the wind to get home.  That's <units mish mash alert!> 100km for the day.   
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #20736 on: 12 February, 2017, 10:43:13 pm »
Nowhere near as far for me, cos I had to get back early to help Mrs Cudzo with some job stuff. Instead of distance, today I went for speed! In fact, I sustained 33km/h drafting some roadies (yeah, okay, draftonomics) then to my surprise managed to maintain 32km/h on my own after I stopped for a brief chat with Len of ACB, out for a DIY on his RRTY. This was my first ride on the Pacer for literally months, in fact probably since getting the Sequoia, and the first few minutes were all about difference: it's so light! it starts off so much faster! the brake levers have to be pulled so far back! the steering's quick! the saddle's narrow! the bars are further away! But after that, the differences were lost in their shared bikeness, and within the world of bikeness, their similarities: dropped bars, roadishness, and so on.

Went to Bath and back. Had to stop at Warmley (that's hardly any distance) cos of the cold; my right hand was numb. A cup of tea (and a chat with a bloke on an electric bike who'd come over from Wootton Bassett) cured that. Drafted the roadies (but didn't feel quite safe drafting a group I wasn't part of, who all had much better bike handling skills, at 20+mph on a path with walkers, dogs, kids and so on), bumped into Len, etc. Then got back home, took the boy out to smash things up at an art gallery* (this was FUN! we built – he designed, I was merely the technician who tied knots in wire – a device for ET to phone home using bits of old keyboard, printer and miniature video cassette), home again and work.
*http://www.arnolfini.org.uk/whatson/live-art-development-agency-presents-playing-up-1
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #20737 on: 13 February, 2017, 08:20:26 am »
Friday, a flat 32k loop in 2°C with an east wind like needles, yesterday a projected 50k tootle with the prez was docked to 45k when Milady P turned up at a crossroads and caused me to set up a telephonic wail for the missus: CBA fixing a flat in 4°C and a howling gale just 5k from home.

The wind yesterday was fierce: 20 kph NE gusting 45, but on occasion I reckon they added the two together. El Presidente wanted flat so we headed for Haguenau with the wind behind us, then turned and rode home against it, partly via a forest road that last saw a surfacing gang when they built the Maginot line.  The wind was entertaining enough, but we found succour and coffee in a restaurant where several parties of folk were still knocking back their eau-de-vie at 4 pm.  The coffee wasn't what it was in that place a couple of years earlier, but the orange-flavour black chocolate served with it was delightful.

Thursday is promised calm and lukewarm, so here's hoping.

« Reply #20738 on: 13 February, 2017, 09:33:35 pm »
25k on a 'snagging' expedition on my new machine (not really new, but every component except the bars, saddle, lights and bell have been replaced following a powdercoating job on the frame)
Bonus points for a YACF bottle?

Sent from my Xtouch using Tapatalk

Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #20739 on: 14 February, 2017, 10:45:09 pm »
Yes! I cycled to my choir practice.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #20740 on: 15 February, 2017, 05:52:17 pm »
I went out just after midday thinking I could get in a modest 20 miles without needing lights but I was wrong. 
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #20741 on: 15 February, 2017, 09:07:39 pm »
25k on a 'snagging' expedition on my new machine (not really new, but every component except the bars, saddle, lights and bell have been replaced following a powdercoating job on the frame)
Bonus points for a YACF bottle?

Sent from my Xtouch using Tapatalk

That's interesting. Did the guards come in that colour?

Those brake levers are high.

Why is the pump on the seat tube when you have a pump peg on the head tube?

What's that on the seat stay?

It's lovely, though I'd have a granny ring.

:thumbsup:
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #20742 on: 16 February, 2017, 12:07:12 pm »
^^Further question for Millimole:^^

Those don't look like Moustache bars so presumably it's you who has a moustache!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #20743 on: 16 February, 2017, 04:59:10 pm »
80-odd km with a respectable amount of climbing, with tarte flambée panini and a slice of blueberry tart in the middle. Took the old Ti warhorse and realized that it's a bit of a rattletrap these days. Going over the cobbles in one town was most embarrassing.  I suspect the hoary old raceblade but there's the odd metallic clack as well. Frame seems sound, though. Have to pick it up & drop it a few times to see what wobbles.

Sore knee now: that bike's a bit too long and position in general is a bit happy-go-lucky. Hum.

« Reply #20744 on: 17 February, 2017, 06:54:18 pm »
13 miles , slough windsor langley slough circuit this afternoon . the first time this year in just a tea-shirt   :o :)
the slower you go the more you see

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #20745 on: 17 February, 2017, 07:46:39 pm »
A tea-shirt sounds like something an astrophysicist would wear.  Except on Thursdays, because Thursdays are doughnut day and that's when the jam-shirt comes out.

Saw 13C on the bike computer this afternoon.   :thumbsup:

Have you been out today?
« Reply #20746 on: 17 February, 2017, 08:15:07 pm »

That's interesting. Did the guards come in that colour?
Those brake levers are high.
Why is the pump on the seat tube when you have a pump peg on the head tube?
What's that on the seat stay?
It's lovely, though I'd have a granny ring.

:thumbsup:

I wanted red guards - I couldn't find any to buy - I tried spraying black plastic ones - complete disaster. Following half a thought on another thread they are wrapped with automotive vinyl wrap - which was difficult, but they look OK from about a kilometre away.

The brake levers have been moved down a touch following that ride.

It's a Pneuforce pump (they don't make 'em like that any more) which I like, it won't fit under the top tube, and I don't like pumps under the top tube.

I wanted to try a very fashionable and trendy 9x2 ...... My Specialized Tricross has a granny, and I've got mixed feelings about it.

On the seat stay - back light? There's two, one on each side.
Edit - ah! The Abus frame lock - I'm a big fan of these fit&forget, very unfashionable, rather heavy (but so am I) European things.

Nah - the moustache bars are on the other bike. Well, one of the other bikes.

Tapatalk puts this signature here, not me!
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #20747 on: 18 February, 2017, 08:17:42 pm »
"Be back by 5," said Mrs Cudzo. So I was back by 4:15 and no one was home! Turned out they'd gone to Subway ( :(), where Jnr Cudzo ate a foot-long sub with chicken, olives and salad, on top of lunch.  :o

Meanwhile, I was hungry despite stopping at Warmley for lunch, following a blat in to Bath, then a pootle round the crowded city centre, back  and up Coxgrove Hill, then home. Bumped into various people I know along the way. Well, fancy that, a cyclist on a busy cycle path on a sunny day bumps into some people he knows! Chatted about the shapes of various metal and plastic plates in the roads, Lego swimming pools, and stuff. You know, stuff that cyclists talk about. ( ::-)) Actually, in this case it was (another) cyclist's five-year-old son who's into shapes.

William and Mary Herschel armchair sculpture

CrinklyUncle

• #TCRNo6cap23
« Reply #20748 on: 19 February, 2017, 01:15:49 am »
I had a great ride around York today.

I've added some more details in a ride report here: 40ish @ 40ish – Brevet Exclusif – Organised by CCCC

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #20749 on: 19 February, 2017, 01:22:56 am »