Author Topic: Not enough memory to update Garmin 800 Touring  (Read 2978 times)

Not enough memory to update Garmin 800 Touring
« on: 09 April, 2017, 10:00:03 am »
Have a 3yrs old 800, and on trying to load the latest map updates by Garmin Express, told it doesn't have enough internal memory. Swapped the 8GB micro SD card for a 32GB one, same result.

Any way round this, or am I the victim of built-in obsolescence?

Re: Not enough memory to update Garmin 800 Touring
« Reply #1 on: 09 April, 2017, 04:12:15 pm »
Is this the Edge Touring with Garmin's OSM based European maps on the card? I had exactly the same issue a couple of years ago. I don't know what caused it but subsequent updates via Garmin Express worked fine, all with the original 8gb card that came with the unit. The map set takes about 6gb so there clearly isn't enough room for another set of maps without deletion. I think the problem is with Garmin Express rather than the SD card.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

« Reply #2 on: 09 April, 2017, 05:45:48 pm »
I suspect this, as I had similar problem with a Garmin Nuvi car satnav. Just have to keep trying I suppose. Garmin s**tware  >:(

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #3 on: 09 April, 2017, 06:41:53 pm »
I've never used Garmin Express to manage the maps on my devices, so I don't know it works.
Is it trying to send the maps to the internal memory rather than the SD card?
Do you have any control of where it sends the maps?

Can't you just browse into the device from Windows Explorer, and have a look at what's using up the space?
The Edge device will appear as 2 drives in Windows Explorer: the device itself ( very small storage space ), and the SD card ( where the maps need to go ).

The maps should be a several GB file on the SD card:
<Drive-letter of SD card>\Garmin\gmapsupp.img

Try moving the old map file over onto your PC to free up some space, and then trying the map update.

Otherwise, I'd just install the maps manually, but I'm not sure how you are sourcing your maps so I can't say more.

« Reply #4 on: 09 April, 2017, 08:14:29 pm »
As far as I know, Garmin Express is the only (and official) way to update the original Garmin supplied maps, it has always worked in the past. I tried a 32GB SD card and it didn't make any difference. Look like I'll have to call the Garmin support number.

« Reply #5 on: 10 April, 2017, 02:06:32 pm »
Feanor: this is exactly what I tried. Even with a blank new card the update wouldn't work. What I have found out is that Garmin supplied OSM maps are locked to the device. Garmin Express does some sort of in place update which requires the original maps in place and doesn't need much free space. In my case it started working after a few failed attempts. Maybe after a Garmin Express update, I can't remember.

I would be interested to know what Garmin support say.

« Reply #6 on: 10 April, 2017, 02:34:38 pm »
Called the support line, amazingly answered within a minute, but apparently the Edge 800 is a fitness (!) product and they had to transfer me.

It's a known issue they're working on, and will email me when it's resolved, so I'll post the result on here.

Phil W

« Reply #7 on: 10 April, 2017, 05:45:34 pm »
How about deleting old track logs from the internal memory to free up enough space?

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #8 on: 10 April, 2017, 06:09:08 pm »
The edge 800 only has about 100Meg internal storage.
That's fine for tracklogs, but you're never going to get much in the way of maps on there.
Maps pretty much have to go on the SD card.

« Reply #9 on: 11 April, 2017, 10:39:27 am »
Try deleting and re-installing Garmin Express.