Author Topic: The Night Manager  (Read 8986 times)

The Night Manager
« on: 22 February, 2016, 10:19:38 am »
Tense.  Loki is wonderfully reserved, and Bertie Wooster The Prince Regent Dr House is, from what we've seen, suitably menacing.  Looking forward to next weekend's instalment. :thumbsup:

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
Re: The Night Manager
« Reply #1 on: 22 February, 2016, 12:05:04 pm »
I enjoyed it. Quality drama seems to be a rare thing on the Beeb these days.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #2 on: 22 February, 2016, 12:06:22 pm »
Yep. Liked that.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3 on: 22 February, 2016, 12:41:27 pm »
Just brilliant. Hiddlestone's lines in particular were superb. Loved the way he deflected all the nasty comments from guests, and potentially tricky questions, each with the same aplomb. I almost hope there isn't too much action in later eps.

Laurie was a bit underwhelming, but his part may develop.

Even ole jug ears Russell Tovey was pretty bearable.

And great to see Hollander allowed to play a loathsome character again (he was great in Hanna!)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #4 on: 22 February, 2016, 12:45:07 pm »
Yes, I love Tom Hollander's sneery voice.  He managed to bring out some of the less holy aspects of his character in the sadly-no-more Rev, and was brilliant in this.  I hope that we get more of his character.

(He also voiced-over the Real Marigold Hotel series, recently finished but still on iPlayer, which is well worth watching.)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #5 on: 22 February, 2016, 01:34:15 pm »
I've just finished re-reading Le Carre's book on which this is based, so I was interested to see what the Beeb would make of it.  Less complicated than the book, moved in time and moved to Zermatt, but very good.

A spot of googling brought me to an article in the Indie, by Jack Shepherd (not the Wycliffe bloke), talking to Le Carre, with the sub heading "Why not write your own bl**dy novel? With all those changes, what’s left of mine?", which at first sight leads you to think Le Carre didn't like the adaptation. However, the full text from the article is:

The BBC adaptation will also have a female protagonist instead of male: “To all of which, a lesser being such as myself might reasonably have responded: why not write your own bl**dy novel? With all those changes, what’s left of mine?

His verdict? “And the answer, surprisingly, is: a great deal is left, more than I dared hope.”

So he likes it too. Sub editors, eh?

Mind you, Jeds, in my head, is a whole lot sexier than Elizabeth Debicki.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #6 on: 22 February, 2016, 09:38:29 pm »
I liked it. Every time I see Tom Hollander my brain just says " difficult, difficult, lemon difficult"
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #7 on: 22 February, 2016, 10:20:34 pm »
I must admit I prefer Le Carre's cold war stuff - A Perfect Spy, Tinker Tailor etc - to the more modern stuff.  I think they were better characterised vs stuff like The Perfect Gardner etc, as  decent bit of TV drama I liked this, but haven't read the book yet.

I prefer the original Bond novels as well, although Timothy Dalton and Daniel Craig both bring a bit of Fleming's grittiness/nastiness to the role.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8 on: 23 February, 2016, 01:23:33 am »
I really ought to see this somehow, even though I don't have a TV.
Susanne Bier is my first cousin and her Dad is Facebooking about it...

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #9 on: 23 February, 2016, 02:10:16 am »
I read that as "The Night Porter"...
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

« Reply #10 on: 23 February, 2016, 01:55:40 pm »
I really ought to see this somehow, even though I don't have a TV.
Susanne Bier is my first cousin and her Dad is Facebooking about it...

'tis what iPlayer is for
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #11 on: 23 February, 2016, 02:24:47 pm »
TNM is where I  learnt to do the brûlé bit of a crème brûlée.  Thank you Mr. Le Carré.

Haven't tried fizzy drinks via the nose, though.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #12 on: 24 February, 2016, 02:45:02 pm »
Yes, I love Tom Hollander's sneery voice.  He managed to bring out some of the less holy aspects of his character in the sadly-no-more Rev, and was brilliant in this.  I hope that we get more of his character.

He was actually channelling "The Fucker" (the Tory Party strategist in "The Thick of It").

Overall though it was as tense as a tense thing.  Hugh Laurie was very menacing.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #13 on: 01 March, 2016, 06:44:43 pm »
Ep2 equally good.  :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #14 on: 01 March, 2016, 08:57:25 pm »

Great ... just need a night in with Mrs Dan in order to watch it now!

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #15 on: 01 March, 2016, 11:43:17 pm »
Oh yes. Tom Hollander just dripping with threats. And Rocky working for River House.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Andrew

« Reply #16 on: 15 March, 2016, 09:19:59 am »
Not a fan. Though, tbh, I only gave it maybe 40 minutes tops. I couldn't take more.

I found it predictable and somewhat shallow thriller nonsense. I particularly disliked the 'shagged and despatched' treatment of the gangster's mole; that's 2p crime novel stuff. Hugh Laurie is a cartoon character just missing the comedy moustache to twirl.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #17 on: 15 March, 2016, 10:17:45 am »
It's still brilliant!

each episode has been consistently gripping.

Hiddlestone keeps failing to put a step out of place. Great performance :)

(Laurie is far from the best thing in it, but the character fits his limited acting skills quite well.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #18 on: 15 March, 2016, 10:29:15 am »
Apparently there's to be a second series according to Mrs F

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #19 on: 15 March, 2016, 10:46:37 am »
Really?  It's based on a book which doesn't have a sequel, so that seems unlikely. 

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #20 on: 15 March, 2016, 11:20:11 am »
I know, but they're taking the characters forward. Apparently the Le Carre sons are part of the production company 

More info here http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/bbc/12183832/BBC-set-to-order-second-series-of-John-Le-Carres-The-Night-Manager.html

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #21 on: 18 March, 2016, 02:13:49 pm »
I really like it. It may be beach-novel predictable, and the characters are classic spy-story fodder, but it's well told and entertaining. It's not a documentary or a metaphor for real life; it's throwaway fiction. Happy with that.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #22 on: 18 March, 2016, 04:33:51 pm »
Watching this might get the other half interested in Le Carre finally, I keep offering a couple of his less Cold War thrillers, more social commentary/evil corporations/industrial espionage types, but she's not hooked yet.

She's been asking when it's on.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #23 on: 21 March, 2016, 03:08:35 pm »
Just watched ep 2 after recording on Sky box so thanks to all for not spoiling it. 

« Reply #24 on: 21 March, 2016, 03:18:34 pm »
I know, but they're taking the characters forward. Apparently the Le Carre sons are part of the production company 

More info here http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/bbc/12183832/BBC-set-to-order-second-series-of-John-Le-Carres-The-Night-Manager.html

...and according to the Guardian review of last week's episode John Le C himself made a cameo appearance in the restaurant scene.

I've really enjoyed it so far but...
(click to show/hide)