Author Topic: Tubeless for Dummies  (Read 194280 times)

fuaran

• rothair gasta
Re: Tubeless for Dummies
« Reply #200 on: 25 October, 2015, 08:47:15 pm »
You could make an inflater using a coke bottle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtmatxJG_zg

« Reply #201 on: 25 October, 2015, 11:21:25 pm »
Thinking of finally trying tubeless (only five years after I got Zonda 2 Way Fits for the Viner specifically to give me that option!)- will be either 25mms for the Viner or something between 28-35mm (or thereabouts) for the new beastie. Apologies if this has already been answered, but on fitment & the necessary bead-fitting inflation: Will a track pump do the job for road tubeless, if not what about a 12v car inflator (the kind powered by a lighter socket), is that enough of a compressor? CO2 seems a bit wasteful, so if purchasing something to fit tyres is needed I'd probably go for an Airshot.

Never needed more than my tracksuit for road tubeless. Just put a pair of 25mm Schwalbe ones on my just built dynamo wheelset and both inflated first time. The front hissed a bit by the sidewall, but after I'd left it half an hour it went straight up. Sealant added afterwards, so that was dry.

Mike

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #202 on: 26 October, 2015, 05:53:04 am »
I don't think that a car inflator will have enough "oomph" to inflate a tubeless. In my experience (mtb) you need a big rush to get the tyres to seat. I've used both the Coke bottle and an Airshot. Both do the same thing equally well  but the Airsot takes away that feeling of dread that the whole thing is going to blow up very loudly!

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #203 on: 26 October, 2015, 05:03:12 pm »
I've had enough deeply annoying experiences getting tyres to seat to buy an airshot. Hoping I can get the one remaining non-tubeless rim to work with that when the tyre next expires (same problem as others in changing for tubeless ready, it's a 36h rim). Even had frustration on the velocity A23's but that was before I found out that four layers of tape is best rather than the recommended two.... does make the campag 2 way fit approach with no rim tape required quite appealing.
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

« Reply #204 on: 26 October, 2015, 05:11:13 pm »
Sounds like I got lucky with my DT Swiss T-ready rims, DT Swiss tape (one layer) and valves, Stan's Sealant,  and Schwalbe tyres. It couldn't have been easier.

It was quite a relief. I'd been expecting to have to mop up something resembling the scene of a bukkake movie.

Phil W

« Reply #205 on: 26 October, 2015, 07:40:41 pm »
Soapy water is the key to inflating first time with your track pump. Don't neglect that step.

« Reply #206 on: 26 October, 2015, 07:46:57 pm »
Oh yeah...I forgot about that. I did that too.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #207 on: 27 October, 2015, 08:41:36 am »
ok latest

More sealant-- no effect

Added 2 more layers of 21mm wide tape to the front wheel.   21mm only just fits inside a Son H plus Archetype.  It's stayed fully pumped up overnight

I'll do the rear tonight

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #208 on: 27 October, 2015, 09:24:56 am »
Just done the front wheel on the Renegade.

Couldn't have been easier! Remove tube, fit tubeless valve, pump up to seat tyre, remove valve core, squirt in gunk, replace core then pump up again.

American Classic Argent wheels with Clement X'Plor USB tyres.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #209 on: 28 October, 2015, 11:05:02 am »

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #210 on: 28 October, 2015, 12:52:17 pm »
i'm after a fastish long lasting tubeless tyre with a good grip in wet, 25 or 28mm wide. the tubeless durano would be ideal - i hope that schwalbe starts making it (or the equivalent) soon.

« Reply #211 on: 28 October, 2015, 01:25:06 pm »
Hutchinson Sector 28?

Bikey Mikey rates them. I'm on Schwalbe Ones. Fast, but don't know about wear yet. They are about to be made 70g lighter with the Pro One

« Reply #212 on: 28 October, 2015, 01:37:15 pm »
I fitted Hutchinson Sector 28s last November and they've done just under 7,000 km now, with about 3,000 of that being November-March. I keep toying with replacing them, but whilst the rear has just begun to square off (2-3mm, vaguely flat centre section), the front still looks almost new with the moulding line clearly visible. Very comfortable and no issues with grip in wet or dry.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #213 on: 28 October, 2015, 02:23:45 pm »
Hutchinson Sector 28?

Bikey Mikey rates them. I'm on Schwalbe Ones. Fast, but don't know about wear yet. They are about to be made 70g lighter with the Pro One
I fitted Hutchinson Sector 28s last November and they've done just under 7,000 km now, with about 3,000 of that being November-March. I keep toying with replacing them, but whilst the rear has just begun to square off (2-3mm, vaguely flat centre section), the front still looks almost new with the moulding line clearly visible. Very comfortable and no issues with grip in wet or dry.

thank you, this sounds like a good (if the only one) option.

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #214 on: 28 October, 2015, 05:45:25 pm »
Yep, with approx 9,000 kms on my Sector 28s the front still has a good rounded profile... Rear very very good...

I'm only 63 kgs at the moment, so YMMV if you're more, um, muscular....
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #215 on: 28 October, 2015, 05:51:16 pm »
Your tyres are losing pressure far too quickly. I pumped my tubeless up to 100 psi , rode to Paris, rode PBP, rode back. Total of 8 days elapsed and pressure had dropped to 70 psi. 70 psi us actually my preferred pressure where the comfort and rollng balance feels just right.

Hi Phil - just saw this, which I missed the first read through...

I started PBP with a little more than usual, say 90 psi, and finished with about 75.....

I also tend to over inflate a tad on the long rides, to allow for leakage etc, but I'm beginning to think that starting lower and using the pinch test, is probably a better option...
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

Phil W

« Reply #216 on: 28 October, 2015, 10:40:57 pm »
I'm Sector 28's as well.  They also have the odd off road excursion as well without issue. Good mileage out of them as others have said.

Phil W

« Reply #217 on: 28 October, 2015, 10:44:22 pm »
Your tyres are losing pressure far too quickly. I pumped my tubeless up to 100 psi , rode to Paris, rode PBP, rode back. Total of 8 days elapsed and pressure had dropped to 70 psi. 70 psi us actually my preferred pressure where the comfort and rollng balance feels just right.

Hi Phil - just saw this, which I missed the first read through...

I started PBP with a little more than usual, say 90 psi, and finished with about 75.....

I also tend to over inflate a tad on the long rides, to allow for leakage etc, but I'm beginning to think that starting lower and using the pinch test, is probably a better option...

I do actually prefer them between 70-80 psi, and you're right maybe I should just inflate to my prefered pressure plus say psi for 600+ and multi day rides.  Outside multi day Audax I've often left it two weeks between inflationary without worrying.

tiermat

« Reply #218 on: 30 October, 2015, 11:10:48 am »
Just done the front wheel on the Renegade.

Couldn't have been easier! Remove tube, fit tubeless valve, pump up to seat tyre, remove valve core, squirt in gunk, replace core then pump up again.

American Classic Argent wheels with Clement X'Plor USB tyres.

OK, so my Joe Blow Sport couldn't get enough air in to make a good seal, noe could my el-cheapo Tesco track pump, so I splashed out on a new SKS pump, yesterday, shoved a metric shitload of air in there (110PSI to be precise, the max the tyre will take) then shook the wheel whilst rotating it.  A small bubble of sealant appeared at the rim, I carried on shaking and it didn't get any bigger, so lef tit overnight and the pressure has held!

So, important things I have found (which echoes other's findings)

1) ensure tape is good
2) once tyre back on, roll it along the floor (no air in) to get the bead seated properly
3) ensure you have a GOOD track pump, or air line.
4) pump the tyre up to it's max to seat fully
5) let the air out, add gunk, replace valve core then pump it back up to max.
6) shake it!
7) shake it some more.
8) Don't try to bypass any of the above steps, it'll just lead to the tyre going down!

FWIW the tyres I am using are NOT tubelss ones, but there are many reports of them being fine, out there on the internet, hence I wasn't worried about using them.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #219 on: 30 October, 2015, 11:16:32 am »
The only comment I would make is that a CO2 inflator generally works if your track pump (and mine is a good newish Joe Blow one) doesn't. Cheaper than buying a compressor, unless you have other needs/uses for said compressor.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #220 on: 30 October, 2015, 11:41:23 am »

I get by with a track pump fine, but my trick is to fit new tyres with an inner tube first and leave them overnight to conform to the rim and get rid of any major creases. etc. The other trick is to leave the valve core out for the initial inflation to get the air in quicker/easier.
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

tiermat

« Reply #221 on: 30 October, 2015, 11:51:20 am »

I get by with a track pump fine, but my trick is to fit new tyres with an inner tube first and leave them overnight to conform to the rim and get rid of any major creases. etc. The other trick is to leave the valve core out for the initial inflation to get the air in quicker/easier.

That step had already been done for me, as the bike came out the factory with tubeless wheels, tyres that are suitable for making tubeless, and an inner tube in them! All I did (see above) was remove the tube and do the rest of the tubeless steps.

« Reply #222 on: 30 October, 2015, 12:47:26 pm »
The other trick is to leave the valve core out for the initial inflation to get the air in quicker/easier.

Even this doesn't always work, though I don't tend to use the tube-first method, which could well make it easier to inflate with a track pump only.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #223 on: 31 October, 2015, 12:03:39 am »
I believe the difficulties going tubeless is overrated as displayed in this video: https://teammooseisloose.wordpress.com/2015/10/30/team-moose-tackles-the-tubeless-tale/

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #224 on: 01 November, 2015, 10:35:44 am »
I believe the difficulties going tubeless is overrated as displayed in this video: https://teammooseisloose.wordpress.com/2015/10/30/team-moose-tackles-the-tubeless-tale/

Dunno, if you have the right combination of rim, tyre and the right equipment it is easy.  Trouble is there is quite thin info on what works and doesn't work.  Getting hold of the correct stuff isn't that easy.  Compared to fitting clichers it isn't as well understood or easy to do.  Remember, on yacf (which has on average higher cycling "know how") we have more than on thread about how difficult it is to fit clicher  tyres.