Author Topic: Tubeless for Dummies  (Read 194285 times)

Re: Tubeless for Dummies
« Reply #400 on: 25 May, 2016, 08:12:00 am »
Went to change the tyres on the carbon tubeless by design rims and found it extraordinarily difficult to get them to unseat. 

Is there a technique that I should know for the future?

Phil W

« Reply #401 on: 25 May, 2016, 10:20:31 pm »
Just to press hard on the tyre with two thumbs fairly close to the rim. It gets easier as more is unseated. Repeat other side.

« Reply #402 on: 26 May, 2016, 07:14:27 am »
Phil, I thought that is what you would say.  I am glad they are tubeless and won't need changing very often!!

« Reply #403 on: 03 June, 2016, 01:08:17 pm »
Taken the plunge based on the experiences here.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #404 on: 03 June, 2016, 05:18:48 pm »
Im seriously considering it for the MTB once I've got the recumbent build out of the way, recent P*#ncture experience says I don't want to be trying to change those tyres at all often. Three broken levers and much swearing required
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Phil W

« Reply #405 on: 07 June, 2016, 02:56:38 pm »
Just replaced my tubeless tyres ahead of the Wild Atlantic way in 10 days. Top tip when you replace rim tape. If you've forgotten to make a hole and refit valve before fitting tyre, do not get lazy. and attempt to do this with tyre still half on rim. You will not the get hole right, it'll be too big and at an angle to the valve, air will piss out when you attempt to inflate. This will cause you to have to remove tyre and said tape and do it properly the second time round. Second time round tyre will inflate, and beads lock into rim grooves with ease. Proper preperation prevents piss poor performance / results.

« Reply #406 on: 07 June, 2016, 06:06:07 pm »
Just to press hard on the tyre with two thumbs fairly close to the rim. It gets easier as more is unseated. Repeat other side.

Don't forget to let the air out first;)

Phil W

« Reply #407 on: 07 June, 2016, 11:18:40 pm »

Don't forget to let the air out first;)

Drumroll ta da :-)

« Reply #408 on: 12 June, 2016, 11:38:43 pm »
Taken the plunge based on the experiences here.

1st ride today on Schwalbe pro-ones. They seem fast and comfortable: I had them at 80 psi, over some pretty (prolonged) bad surfaces.
I had left them at 100 psi the night before, and found them at about 75 this morning. 

Is this deflation rate normal ?

« Reply #409 on: 13 June, 2016, 06:06:13 am »
Yes, but it gets better over a few days as it all seals up (if you rotate the wheel)

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #410 on: 13 June, 2016, 01:39:05 pm »
Rather than start a new thread..... Tyre deformity - anyone had this with tubeless??

I've got a Hutchinson Intensive on the back of the fixed after successfully doing a conversion with a rim strip, only this winter's (pitifully low) mileage on of ~500, and there's a slight deformity on one part of the tyre with a bulge about 15mm square but no visible damage whatsoever and the tiny bump it creates isn't noticeable whilst riding. Would you soldier on with this in the proper cheapskate manner or do you think this is something that really wants changing?  It's by the valve where the rim strip is really fat so could potentially interfere with the bead, I'm wondering if this has caused it.

Well this tyre failed - tried to pump it up to 100psi just as a tester and it's kaput. Bought it probably 3+ years ago from ACyles but long gone are the details, that'll teach me to horde tyres when on sale and not fit them until WAAAAY after the warranty period is up!
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #411 on: 22 June, 2016, 10:39:45 am »
One tip I have been reminded of, is for the fitting etc somewhere warm. The front I did in the garage, with the heater on. The rear I have had problems with (sealant leaking out round the bead etc) until I took it out into the garden and left the wheel in the sunshine while the sealant leaked out and set.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #412 on: 23 June, 2016, 08:07:21 am »
A follow up on my tyre failure after fitting another tyre - to anyone converting a non 'tubeless compatible' rim, make sure the tyre is able to seat evenly all around the rim, which I've found impossible to do with a velocity dyad rim (rim strip + stans tape to build up the centre around spoke holes). I now believe the tyre failure to have come from a low point in the tyre resulting in a pressure point where it bumped back up level eventually weakening the casing. The new tyre has that same low point just in advance (rotationally) of where the last one failed. Ordered an new rim to just sort it properly, you live and learn.
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #413 on: 22 August, 2016, 10:10:59 am »

These finally turned up

And I put them on the bike
https://audaxing.wordpress.com/2016/08/22/taking-the-s-ones-for-a-ride/

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #414 on: 22 August, 2016, 10:37:24 am »
I'm jealous! My bike came with the "Performance line" non-tubeless version of the S-One which OEMs use to shave a few pennies :(
You do like a high pressure though, I'm running mine at 60psi and I bet I weight a lot more than you!
Everyone's favourite windbreak

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #415 on: 22 August, 2016, 02:17:21 pm »
I'm jealous! My bike came with the "Performance line" non-tubeless version of the S-One which OEMs use to shave a few pennies :(
You do like a high pressure though, I'm running mine at 60psi and I bet I weight a lot more than you!

I weigh 84kg, run normal (non tubeless) 28mm/25mm at 90psi, 23mm at 120.
The bike did have Strada Bianca 30mm tyres on it - which are *lovely* btw - the minimum pressure for these is 90 psi

So 80psi is "less".  Might try reducing it slowly see how it goes

One thing I didn't do (it was a busy weekend and finding time for tyre fitting was difficult) was weigh the wheels before and after to see how much lighter they are.
Probably not much in it.  According to the manufactures data, the S-One + sealant = 330g+60g = 390g, Strada Bianca 30mm + inner = 358g + 125g = 483g

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #416 on: 22 August, 2016, 04:15:07 pm »
Purely for comparison (I'm definitely not trying to tell a vastly more experienced rider how to suck eggs)
I'll admit to 110Kg on a very good day.
I run Schwalbe One 28mm, original tubed version at 75/80 F/R.
I jumped on my new bike with the S-Ones and thought, hey the tyres look about right and was very surprised when I put the track pump on them and read 60PSI. I tried them at that and it seems to work. I doubt I would have gone that low otherwise.

Of course, I might just have a very poor pressure gauge!
Everyone's favourite windbreak

« Reply #417 on: 24 August, 2016, 01:20:06 pm »
I might give the Schwalbes one more go but I'm less & less convinced by tubeless (unless run at significantly lower than usual pressures)

I was getting (the symptoms of a) slow puncture - repeated deflation to quite low pressures when bike left standing or hanging from hook and while riding, but never quite proper 'flat'.

After a bit of investigation, removal of flint shards, topping up with sealant, re-inflation I found that even quite small holes, although they would seal at lower pressure would 'blow' when re-inflated above 80 psi.

Shame because at my weight, for (the supposedly optimum) 15% tyre drop on 28mm tyres, I'm looking at 90psi on the back - and 110psi for 25mm.

« Reply #418 on: 29 August, 2016, 06:38:48 pm »
I've done ~1800 miles on the Schwalbe S-One on the rear of my Dirty Disco (that's the bike  ;)). The riding has been a mix of utility pootling, commuting, faster rides and there has been a lot of off-road on trails and the like.
The positives have been that the tyre rides superbly at 60-70psi (I'm ~70kg), grips very well and rolls freely. It also appears to be wearing well (ie minimally).
Downsides ? Riding back to MCR from Chester recently the tyre kept going flat for no apparent reason. Pump and ride tactics got me home since ICn'tBA trying to deal with the problem on the ride and, truth be told, I was a little apprehensive about "dealing" with the problem in case I couldn't get the tyre back on.
At home there was no sign of where the air was leaking out when I put the wheel and tyre in water but it would lose most of the pressure overnight. I took the tyre off and saw that the sealant had dried up. After scraping the old stuff out (Schwalbe's recommended Doc Blue), I replaced it with Fenwicks sealant since that's what I had and the tyre inflated relatively easily after I'd seated the beads with a tube.
Happy days; great riding again and very little pressure loss, not noticeably different to a tubed tyre.
Yesterday I got another slow puncture. There was some pump and ride as well as use of CO2 cartridges so that we could finish the ride. At the pub stop just before we got home, I noticed that there was a hole in the tyre and that's where the air was coming out. It was disappointing that the sealant hadn't plugged it since the hole wasn't that big.
Back home I inserted an "anchovy" from the Genuine Innovations tubeless repair kit:- (http://www.genuineinnovations.com/us/products/tools-accessories/tubeless-repair-kit.php)
and pumped the tyre up. It held pressure overnight and I test rode it this afternoon. I also topped up the sealant.
It seems to have worked although I'm not sure what state the previous sealant is in.
I'm not yet fully convinced by road tubeless but I'm going to persevere but I'm always going to have a tube or two with me for roadside repairs.. My "experiences" have taught me that getting the tyre on and off isn't a problem and, it seems, that the repair kit works brilliantly.

FWIW, I got the kit on the basis of a review on roadcc:- http://road.cc/content/review/183575-genuine-innovations-tubeless-tire-repair-kit
Forcing the "anchovy" through the tyre takes a little courage and some effort but it seems to work well and it's much quicker than taking a tyre off to replace a tube.

I'm going on tour next week so that bike will be carrying luggage. I hope everything works out. I'm sure it will. If not, I'll have an old tyre with me as back-up.

« Reply #419 on: 30 August, 2016, 06:58:26 pm »
I had my first tubeless failure in 18 months after a couple of hours of the Transcontinental last month.  It was a big puncture that would seal to begin with, but then blow a few hours later only to reseal at about 30psi. 
On a day ride it would have been no problem - I could have taken the tyre off at home and patched it inside - but on the road I'd have needed to have new rim tape (offset spoke drillings) and CO2, neither of which I had. 
I managed to get an anchovy in (first time I'd done it and it is a bit frightening, stabbing your tyre with a metal spike), and I thought I had it fixed, but it blew after about 50km the following morning, and I was back to ~30psi. 
I persevered for 3 days, each time thinking I'd fixed it but, after the anchovy had failed, I bought a new tubed tyre.

I had a failure of sorts yesterday on a club run.  I noticed my rear tyre was slightly soft and borrowed a clubmate's pump (as I only had a small, emergency one).  It was a Leyzne and it unscrewed my valve core.  So I lost the seal and had to put a tube in.  I don't blame the tyre for that, though!

Despite these reverses, I'm still sticking with tubeless.  After half an hour of yesterday's ride I had a bad puncture in my front tyre.  It lost quite a bit of sealant but, after a few seconds of holding it with the puncture pressed down on the road, it did seal.  So it took all of a minute rather than ~15 minutes to replace a tube.

« Reply #420 on: 30 August, 2016, 07:20:57 pm »
I managed to get an anchovy in (first time I'd done it and it is a bit frightening, stabbing your tyre with a metal spike),

I'm with you on that Frank; I had to take a deep breath and then "plunge"  ...............

I had a failure of sorts yesterday on a club run.  I noticed my rear tyre was slightly soft and borrowed a clubmate's pump (as I only had a small, emergency one).  It was a Leyzne and it unscrewed my valve core.  So I lost the seal and had to put a tube in.  I don't blame the tyre for that, though!

That happened to me as well on Sunday. My pump's a Lezyne and I managed, I think, two pump and rides before it unscrewed the valve core and I had to resort to COs. The dispenser just plugs onto the valve.
I've actually got a bit of a dilemna now. Do I take the Lezyne on tour or should I go back to the Topeak (Morph of some sort) with its crappy plastic bits ? If I can find it, I'll take the Topeak.

In other news, the anchovy is still holding pressure; no discernible loss after standing overnight and then commuting 22 miles today.
I still haven't put the tyre and wheel in water to see if there are any small leaks. Maybe at the weekend.
A spare tyre and some tubes are going on tour with me  ::-).

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #421 on: 30 August, 2016, 08:29:35 pm »
I did use an external repair kit (aka the anchovie ) on my tyre and it didn't work that well

First attempt blew out after only a few km.  Second attempt was much more durable but made the slick road tyres have a bump on every rotation.  Even after a few days use and trimming it more closely it still was noticably rough.

Next time something like that happens I will be carrying a puncture repair kit and I'll attempt to fix it with that.  I can confidently get the tyre on and off with a bead jack

Also had the thing with the dried out sealant too. Just need to keep a careful eye on the calendar to top it up every 3 months

Samuel D

« Reply #422 on: 30 August, 2016, 09:21:01 pm »
If your Lezyne pump is like mine, one end of the hose can be slipped over the valve rather than screwed on, eliminating the risk of unscrewing the valve core.

Alternatively, just make sure your valve cores are tightly screwed in before using the pump. You only need to check this once. Also use the air-bleed button (ABS) before unscrewing the hose, and/or unscrew the hose from the pump before unscrewing from the valve.

« Reply #423 on: 31 August, 2016, 02:12:45 pm »

FWIW, I got the kit on the basis of a review on roadcc:- http://road.cc/content/review/183575-genuine-innovations-tubeless-tire-repair-kit

I got the same based on that review, I used one in the rear about 1800km ago and have had no trouble with it.

« Reply #424 on: 31 August, 2016, 08:26:05 pm »
If your Lezyne pump is like mine, one end of the hose can be slipped over the valve rather than screwed on, eliminating the risk of unscrewing the valve core.

Alternatively, just make sure your valve cores are tightly screwed in before using the pump. You only need to check this once. Also use the air-bleed button (ABS) before unscrewing the hose, and/or unscrew the hose from the pump before unscrewing from the valve.

Wrap the valve core threads in PTFE tape. :thumbsup: