Author Topic: Tubeless for Dummies  (Read 195570 times)

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
Re: Tubeless for Dummies
« Reply #625 on: 16 September, 2017, 10:56:51 am »
The "Bontrager AW2 TLR Road Tyre 700 x 24c" are on with Orange Seal

The tyres remind me of Hutchinson Intensive, they measure up to 23.5mm (not the headline 24mm) even on my wide-ish Archetypes

Orange Seal smells pleasantly of oranges, which is nice.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #626 on: 19 September, 2017, 08:22:52 pm »
Has anyone tried tractor sealant watered down? it seems to be a thing on singletrack apparently. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OKO-TYRE-SEALANT-ANTI-PUNCTURE-OFF-ROAD-1250ML-STOP-PUNCTURES/182124416574?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&clk_rvr_id=1314272698092&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

Water:sealant  2:1

Currently using the OKO tractor stuff someone off here recommended diluted 2:1 (water:OKO), which makes it about 10%* of the cost of stans. Seems to be working so far (sealed the tyres fine, and one known saled puncture which was the reason for taking the tyre off to top up). Certainly looks like it needs diluting, it's the consistency of thick cream!
Regards,

Joergen

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #627 on: 19 September, 2017, 08:54:34 pm »
Has anyone tried tractor sealant watered down? it seems to be a thing on singletrack apparently. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OKO-TYRE-SEALANT-ANTI-PUNCTURE-OFF-ROAD-1250ML-STOP-PUNCTURES/182124416574?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&clk_rvr_id=1314272698092&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

Water:sealant  2:1

Currently using the OKO tractor stuff someone off here recommended diluted 2:1 (water:OKO), which makes it about 10%* of the cost of stans. Seems to be working so far (sealed the tyres fine, and one known saled puncture which was the reason for taking the tyre off to top up). Certainly looks like it needs diluting, it's the consistency of thick cream!

It's so cheap might be worth trying in the interests of science

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #628 on: 04 October, 2017, 02:16:20 pm »
Vittoria Adventure Trails is mentioned in this review of gravel bike tyres as "a fantastic dirt road touring tire, winter and training tire" and it's tubeless

http://www.roadbikereview.com/reviews/7-best-gravel-road-tires

Planet-X have them on special for eight quid (plus postage...but still)

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVIADVT2/vittoria-adventure-trail-ii-tnt-tubeless-ready-700c-tyre

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #629 on: 04 October, 2017, 03:42:42 pm »
Vittoria Adventure Trails is mentioned in this review of gravel bike tyres as "a fantastic dirt road touring tire, winter and training tire" and it's tubeless

http://www.roadbikereview.com/reviews/7-best-gravel-road-tires

Planet-X have them on special for eight quid (plus postage...but still)

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVIADVT2/vittoria-adventure-trail-ii-tnt-tubeless-ready-700c-tyre

I was hoping it was something between 30 & 35 - quest continues!
Regards,

Joergen

Jeff E

• Formerly JRe
« Reply #630 on: 05 October, 2017, 09:43:54 pm »
I have been running Schwalbe G One Allround Tubeless 35mm tyres for about 4 months and have got 4200 miles out of them so far.   There is hardly any wear on the front and although there is plenty of wear on the rear, I have not yet had any p.......S.     40-50 psi (depending on your weight (@ 71kg I run them at 45psi)). seems best to me, as any more than that increases the rate of wear.    They are a lot faster than the Conti 4 Seasons 25mm that I used to use, especially up bumpy hills.     The tread suits both on and off road

dim

« Reply #631 on: 06 October, 2017, 05:48:34 am »
my 1st set of tubeless tyres .... 2017 IRC Formula Pro RBCC tubeless

I've only done a few km's so far and liking them but still need to play around with tyre pressures.

I have them fitted on HED Belgium plus rims with Chris King R45 hubs (ceramic bearing upgrade). I bought the 25mm but should have bought the 28mm as the 25mm measure exactly 25mm on these rims.

My previous tyres on these rims were Specialized Turbo Cotton in 24mm and they measured approx 27.5mm on the rims. My Giant TCR is an older model and I need to be carefull with tyre width as there is not much space (a 25mm Conti GP4000SII measures just over 28mm on these rims, and thats as wide as my frame will accept)
“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #632 on: 16 October, 2017, 05:16:32 pm »
I recently fitted a pair of Schwalbe One tubeless to a set of Deda Zero 2 wheels, using Schwalbe's Tubeless Kit, and was surprised at how incredibly straightforward and easy the whole process was. I've only been out for a couple of rides so far but all seems to be in order.

Today, I tried to install a Maxxis Padrone on a Mavic Ksyrium Elite UST and it's been a frickin' nightmare.

The tyre went onto the rim easily enough - perhaps too easily, as I could get it on by hand, without the need for soapy water or even tyre levers. I used the Truflo Airstore pump to deliver that initial shot of air to seat the tyre but there wasn't enough of a seal for it to hold the air for even a few seconds. None the less, I then added the sealant (Doc Blue) and tried to inflate the tyre but it wouldn't hold any air and I've just ended up with a puddle of sealant on the garage floor.

I assumed that since it was a UST wheel, it wouldn't need rim tape. Is this correct or am I mistaken?

Anyone with experience of Mavic UST wheels have any bright ideas?

ETA: Turns out I'm an idiot. I just had another look at the wheels. They're not UST. I was misled by the external spoke attachments but on closer inspection, the rim bed is the wrong shape - it doesn't have the 'shoulders' for the tyre bead to sit on. The bike they came with was specced with the UST wheels but I should have read the rim label properly... :facepalm:
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #633 on: 16 October, 2017, 07:46:39 pm »
I put the eight quid tyres on the bike at the weekend

They are heavy but reasonably ok

Pics on the blog

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #634 on: 12 November, 2017, 03:01:48 pm »
update.
The Vittoria Adventure tyres did the Dartmoor Devil ( this is an 100km event on Dartmoor at the end of October with 2000m of ascent).  They are heavy, probably I was losing a bit on the uphills but gaining  ( a bit less) on the downhills as the size of the tyres and the pronounced tread meant that full speed descents on unsuitable lanes were much more possible.  So basically a success.  I like the tyres

As for the Bontrager AW2 23.5mm tyres today I had a new failure mode with them.  I hit something which I think gave me a sidewall hole.  There was a pressure loss.  Then the tyre lost its seal.  Not sure if the sidewall hole or the lack of seal did it but it was impossible to pump up again.  Not with the hand pump at the time, not with a track pump and not even with an air bottle.  Added more sealant, same result.

So I've put a Schwalbe One with not much wear on instead.   Less than two months to destruction for the AW2 but with a sample size of one that doesn't tell us much.  The bike does about 50km a week commuting plus an additional 50km at the weekend or to the pub sometimes.  So I would guess that 8 weeks is approx 500-600km.  There were two large holes in the tread plus possibly this sidewall hole which I couldn't find when the tyre was off

« Reply #635 on: 11 January, 2018, 12:10:40 pm »
I have pacenti SL25 rims, but still find Stans 25mm tape is not quite wide enough to sit all the way up to the side wall (so can catch on the tyre bead, making it harder to seat tyres and possibly lift letting leaks occur into the spoke holes).

I guess I should try 27mm & pull it tight enough to pull down into the rim bed, whilst covering the entire width.

« Reply #636 on: 14 January, 2018, 12:58:58 pm »
I'm running Schwalbe Ones. This morning I heard a rhythmic click click from the front. On arriving home I can see the flint embedded in the tread, right on the crown. No sign of sealant nor of pressure loss. Do I dig the flint out (bike on workstand and damage at the bottom to pool sealent just in case) or do I leave it be and see what happens...?
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

dim

« Reply #637 on: 14 January, 2018, 01:07:38 pm »
I'm running Schwalbe Ones. This morning I heard a rhythmic click click from the front. On arriving home I can see the flint embedded in the tread, right on the crown. No sign of sealant nor of pressure loss. Do I dig the flint out (bike on workstand and damage at the bottom to pool sealent just in case) or do I leave it be and see what happens...?

I'd take it out as if you don't, it will always bother you knowing that it's there

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #638 on: 14 January, 2018, 01:10:10 pm »
Got to pull it out - it may only be embedded in the tread right now and not have penetrated all the way through, but if you leave it in, it will do.

Maybe let the tyre pressure down a bit first before removing it to avoid it being forced out of the hole too quickly to seal?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #639 on: 14 January, 2018, 01:47:37 pm »
That was my thinking too - good call on de-pressurising first.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #640 on: 14 January, 2018, 07:10:41 pm »
Spin the wheel up too, both before and after pulling flint. Preferably outside and standing beside and not in front or behind the tyre🤦🏼‍♀️

dim

« Reply #641 on: 20 January, 2018, 01:21:28 pm »
A mad rush this morning as I was late for work. I forgot to transfer my spare inner tube, valve core remover and Orange sealant with me, and as luck has it, a puncture on the guided busway close to Longstanton (in heavy rain)

Most of the sealant escaped, and the hole would not seal. 20 minutes later, after frantic pumping with a shitty handpump, I bent the stem of the pump so decided to walk to the Longstanton Park and Ride, and get a Taxi home

£25 poorer, got home, added the last bit of my Orange sealant, and the hole still does not seal. It's not a large hole, but I will order more Orange sealant and the kit that plugs holes, and see if I can get it sorted next week

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #642 on: 20 January, 2018, 02:15:11 pm »
if the hole is a cut (i.e. not a pin hole) there is a high chance it will not seal at road tyre pressures. in that case a get-me-home solution can be a piece of duct tape (50-100cm) wrapped around both the rim and tyre over the cut. it will help to keep the air inside the tyre. rim brake has to be disengaged, obviously.

dim

« Reply #643 on: 21 January, 2018, 11:42:19 am »
if the hole is a cut (i.e. not a pin hole) there is a high chance it will not seal at road tyre pressures. in that case a get-me-home solution can be a piece of duct tape (50-100cm) wrapped around both the rim and tyre over the cut. it will help to keep the air inside the tyre. rim brake has to be disengaged, obviously.

thanks for that ... it might be worthwhile to carry a bit of duct tape in future for long rides ...

I've had a close look and it's not a slit, it's a small hole, but it's too large for the Orange sealant to work.

It's an IRC Formula Pro RBCC tyre and from what I have read, the inside of these tyres have a lining which allows you to add a patch on the inside (the same patch that is used for fix a puncture on an inner tube)

The hole is not on the sidewall, so I will try adding a patch tomorrow and a good dab of superglue on the outside and see what happens ... I will also order the tyre worms from cycle clinic for future large punctures:
https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/products/maxalami-tubeless-repair-tube

it will be a pity if I can't get it sorted, as the tyre still looks very good with lots of tread left .... If worse comes to worse, I will have to pay another £50 for a new tyre  :'(

dim

« Reply #644 on: 24 January, 2018, 01:24:30 pm »
well that worked very well ....

a Park Tool Super patch on the inside of the tyre .... a blob of superglue on the outside covering the hole (I'm not sure if the superglue was needed though), and 30ml of Orange sealant and it's fixed

took 10 minutes. I still need to get the tyre worm kit though

dim

« Reply #645 on: 24 January, 2018, 08:24:12 pm »
has anyone tried the newer Stans No Tubes Race Sealant? ....

it was recomended to me on another forum, and apparantly, it's better than the Orange Sealant as it seals larger holes

dim

« Reply #646 on: 26 January, 2018, 08:47:43 pm »
on another forum, I was told that adding glitter to the sealant helps seal larger holes .... is this BS or true?

I have read several threads (especially on MTB forums) that guys add glitter to the sealant, but I always thought that it was to see if you had small punctures that seal quickly (without you knowing) ... i.e. check your tyres after every ride, see some glitter and you know that you had a puncture

The orange sealant stains the tyre, but after a few km the stain is gone

« Reply #647 on: 26 January, 2018, 09:13:19 pm »
I've read enough posts on using glitter in diy sealant to believe that people are actually using it, but I've also read in the same threads that they are also using human hair, sawdust, ground up innertubes  and other detritus in attempt to create their own sealant.   I swear that if we'd only ever had tubeless tyres that the invention of the innertube would be hailed as a miracle of biblical proportions.   
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #648 on: 26 January, 2018, 11:04:35 pm »
Seems like a great way to make your punctures more fabulous!

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #649 on: 27 January, 2018, 06:35:23 pm »
I've read enough posts on using glitter in diy sealant to believe that people are actually using it, but I've also read in the same threads that they are also using human hair, sawdust, ground up innertubes  and other detritus in attempt to create their own sealant.   I swear that if we'd only ever had tubeless tyres that the invention of the innertube would be hailed as a miracle of biblical proportions.

Ho ho ho...

Every sealant I have ever used in over 150,000 kms of Audax has worked subject only to extremely nasty open wounds.....

The jest about the inner tube is as funny as saying that if we as a species lived on electricity generated from biological solar panels, the invention of assholes would be a miracle of biblical proportions, and we could henceforth eat cakes...
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388