Author Topic: Tubeless for Dummies  (Read 195199 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Tubeless for Dummies
« Reply #650 on: 27 January, 2018, 07:50:00 pm »
I reckon it's more like if contact lenses had been invented before glasses.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #651 on: 27 January, 2018, 09:02:57 pm »
Often you say things I don't understand and I assume it is your superior intelligence

« Reply #652 on: 27 January, 2018, 10:32:40 pm »
I've read enough posts on using glitter in diy sealant to believe that people are actually using it, but I've also read in the same threads that they are also using human hair, sawdust, ground up innertubes  and other detritus in attempt to create their own sealant.   I swear that if we'd only ever had tubeless tyres that the invention of the innertube would be hailed as a miracle of biblical proportions.

Ho ho ho...

Every sealant I have ever used in over 150,000 kms of Audax has worked subject only to extremely nasty open wounds.....

The jest about the inner tube is as funny as saying that if we as a species lived on electricity generated from biological solar panels, the invention of assholes would be a miracle of biblical proportions, and we could henceforth eat cakes...

... but I'd gladly swap solar panels for a bum hole if it meant I could eat cake ;D
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #653 on: 27 January, 2018, 11:12:12 pm »
Often you say things I don't understand and I assume it is your superior intelligence

They both have advantages and disadvantages.  Whichever came first is normal and ordinary.  The newcomer is revolutionary for some people with specific needs, and embraced wholeheartedly by them.  Others don't see what the point is, and may see it as a newness-for-newness-sake solution to a non-problem.

Lenses that don't steam up are like tyres that don't get snakebites.  Brilliant for the people that care.  People who only need vision correction to read might not see why it's worth faffing about with all that fluid and eyeball-poking stuff, just as people who run tyres at high pressures and aren't massively fussed about rolling resistance might not see the point in tubeless.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #654 on: 11 March, 2018, 09:59:44 pm »
i need to service my tubeless tyres as the sealant pooled up and dried out in one place unbalancing the wheels. searching for the options i've come across this product that looks promising, i'd be keen to try it out:

http://reviews.mtbr.com/frostbike-2018-finish-lines-new-sealant-that-never-dries-out

dim

« Reply #655 on: 12 March, 2018, 11:04:15 am »
i need to service my tubeless tyres as the sealant pooled up and dried out in one place unbalancing the wheels. searching for the options i've come across this product that looks promising, i'd be keen to try it out:

http://reviews.mtbr.com/frostbike-2018-finish-lines-new-sealant-that-never-dries-out

which sealant are you using at present?
“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #656 on: 12 March, 2018, 11:23:38 am »
which sealant are you using at present?

conti revo (the wheels sat unused for a couple of months..)

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #657 on: 12 March, 2018, 04:48:54 pm »

Have you found a supplier yet? I'm almost out of cafelatex so could experiment with this...
Regards,

Joergen

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #658 on: 12 March, 2018, 05:04:18 pm »

Have you found a supplier yet? I'm almost out of cafelatex so could experiment with this...

haven't found where to get it yet, the product is still very new so i think it will become available in the next couple of months. i still have some "old style" sealant to go through before i test the finish line. maybe worth asking their uk importers (whoever they are)?

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #659 on: 12 March, 2018, 06:05:50 pm »
Yes, I have about 150ml left of cafelatex so next month I'll be on the lookout I suspect
Regards,

Joergen

Samuel D

« Reply #661 on: 12 March, 2018, 08:02:58 pm »
Speaking of sealant, are any of them non-slippery?

I’m thinking about what happens with a puncture at speed. Clinchers already give less control than tubulars in this scenario, and lubricating the inside of the tyre doesn’t sound like it would improve matters. With lubrication, the flat tyre would walk sideways uncontrollably as a constant supply of new tyre arrives with the rotating wheel. The fatter the tyre, the more walking could take place.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #662 on: 12 March, 2018, 08:30:27 pm »
Speaking of sealant, are any of them non-slippery?

I’m thinking about what happens with a puncture at speed. Clinchers already give less control than tubulars in this scenario, and lubricating the inside of the tyre doesn’t sound like it would improve matters. With lubrication, the flat tyre would walk sideways uncontrollably as a constant supply of new tyre arrives with the rotating wheel. The fatter the tyre, the more walking could take place.

it doesn't work that way. when the tyre is punctured it takes quite some time for the pressure to drop until the tyre flattens. even when i had a 1cm sidewall gash (on a 23mm tyre) it took almost 10sec for the air to escape with a loud hiss - plenty of time to slow down and stop safely. with tubeless sealant it's almost impossible for the pressure to drop to almost zero as the sealant minimises air escape or completely stops it. i think this new sealant (if it does what they claim) is a major improvement in tubeless tyres technology and removes a lot of faff and headache.

dim

« Reply #663 on: 12 March, 2018, 09:10:09 pm »
I used Orange sealant with very good results .... 3 punctures that I know of, and all 3 sealed. Then I rode over a broken bottle and got a long slash in my tire. It sealed at low pressure but I used a tyre worm which sorted it. Once home,I removed the tyre worm and used an old fashioned patch with the old vulcanised glue on the inside of the tyre. (With IRC tyres, this can be done)

Over the patch, I used a Park Tool tyre boot. It's worked, and the tyre keeps pressure and has held up well. When I refitted the tyre, I tried the new Slime STR Premium sealant. I read good reviews, but the 60ml that I added did not seal the sides of the tyres and I then added some Orange sealant, and it sealed and mounted properly with a track pump

so, I'm not sure if the Slime is better than the orange sealant, as I have not had another puncture yet, but it did not seal the tyre when I re-mounted it

I have a new  commuter bike/training bike that I will use with tubeless (I will try Hutchinson Sector 28's first, trhen some Compass tyres), but on my fast bike, I will be going back to Specialized Turbo Cotton clinchers

Keep us updated on the Finish Line Sealant

“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

« Reply #664 on: 12 March, 2018, 10:29:01 pm »
Tweets are offering it for ore-order for April delivery. Up to 1l.

https://www.tweekscycles.com/Product.do?method=view&n=3570&g=1464062&p=1463989&d=124&c=4&l=2&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Base&utm_campaign=Tyre%20Liners%20&%20Sealant&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIudzJu7Dn2QIVrZPtCh0itA1LEAQYASABEgIe7PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

So despite the apparently eye watering expense, the actual cost per road tyre according to my questionable maths comes out at ~ between £3.50 and £5.00 depending on the quantity you buy.  I wonder what the shelf life actually is given that the "usable life" of a tyre could vary by many years depending on the rider?
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

« Reply #665 on: 13 March, 2018, 04:12:54 pm »
Actually, I’ve been using Orange Seal endurance, but if this seals as well I’d buy a gallon and be happy to share some around at cost if anyone wanted? I’ve already got loads of tape...

« Reply #666 on: 16 March, 2018, 11:35:49 am »
As i have no clue about tubeless, this is the perfect place to ask if my mavic cosmic elite 23 clincher wheelset 2017 is tubeless friendly or not?

TIA

Sefi

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #667 on: 16 March, 2018, 11:43:24 am »
As i have no clue about tubeless, this is the perfect place to ask if my mavic cosmic elite 23 clincher wheelset 2017 is tubeless friendly or not?

Does it say "UST" on the rim? If so, yes, they're tubeless friendly. If it doesn't, they're not.

IIRC, the Cosmic Elite come in both a UST and non-UST version...
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #668 on: 16 March, 2018, 11:45:21 am »

Does it say "UST" on the rim? If so, yes, they're tubeless friendly. If it doesn't, they're not.

IIRC, the Cosmic Elite come in both a UST and non-UST version...
Can’t see anything that says UST so that’ll be a no.

citoyen

« Reply #669 on: 16 March, 2018, 11:50:38 am »
I've just taken delivery of a set of ERE Research Omnia 28mm tubeless tyres - might have a go at fitting them ahead of the Man of Kent this weekend, assuming it's not snowed off...
https://www.ereresearch.com/tires/omnia

« Reply #670 on: 16 March, 2018, 11:53:12 am »

TIA

Sefi

No, Mavic launched tubeless on their 2018 wheels which were available late 2017. IF you bought them as a wheelset and they are tubeless ready they would have been supplied with Yksion Pro UST tyres and a bottle of goo.

No

Yes

UST are the magic letters as far as Mavic are concerned

Edit : Beaten to it

citoyen

« Reply #671 on: 16 March, 2018, 11:54:54 am »
Can’t see anything that says UST so that’ll be a no.

See upthread for my tale of woe trying to fit tubeless tyres to non-UST Mavic wheels...

(In my defence, I was led to believe they were UST wheels, but I didn't check properly before starting the job.)

citoyen

« Reply #672 on: 16 March, 2018, 11:58:41 am »

To be fair, what the manufacturer says isn't always definitive - I've been using a set of Deda Zero2 wheels, which the supplier told me were tubeless compatible, so I fitted tubeless tyres and they worked a treat. But if you look on Deda's website, it clearly says they're not tubeless compatible...  ???

« Reply #673 on: 16 March, 2018, 12:02:10 pm »

To be fair, what the manufacturer says isn't always definitive - I've been using a set of Deda Zero2 wheels, which the supplier told me were tubeless compatible, so I fitted tubeless tyres and they worked a treat. But if you look on Deda's website, it clearly says they're not tubeless compatible...  ???

Oh there's lots of stories of folk using tubeless on what manufacturers say are non-compatible....and there are tales of tyres rolling off rims, in my mind that's not worth the risk. YMMV

citoyen

« Reply #674 on: 16 March, 2018, 12:10:55 pm »
I didn't realise I was going against manufacturer's advice - only found out about that later. The supplier (UK distributor) said they were tubeless compatible, and I had no reason not to believe him!

I'll have to ask him about it - it's possible they were intended to be sold as tubeless-compatible but Deda changed their mind due to lack of testing or something. I can imagine them erring on the side of caution about something like that.