Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 523727 times)

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
Re: MEMWNS Miscellany
« Reply #750 on: 06 April, 2016, 12:30:11 pm »
You should put something on Twitter to Trek.....I'll leave it up to the more eloquent to do though.  I would be seriously interested to see what trek say about a bike that they designed to be ridden over Pave not being able to handle a bit of Grit or rain without what I would consider to be intensive cleaning after it.

Surely a bike that requires that amount of care is not suitable for mass public sales and I would have thought that giving a lifetime frame warranty they would be looking to make them to last.

Considering the amount of Domane's and other BB90 bikes out there I still think it is more of a case of you were unlucky than I have been lucky.

Given it's Paris - Roubaix this weekend, might be a good time to hammer the hash tag #ParisRoubaix

Also worth talking to Nathan at Yellow Jersey Cycles, he does their workshop and bike fits and certainly tells it as it is, so might be worth a call for a second opinion or even just to prove the Trek dealership response hypothesis  :)
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #751 on: 06 April, 2016, 12:50:45 pm »
If I can find the money for a new bike I might go down the BB30 route and fit the Praxis converter which seems to solve the whole press fit problem anyway.

The Hope/Chris King option is an interesting one and I would definitely look to see if there was a compatible fitting before buying a different bike.

It is always worth pointing out that I am only reporting on my experience with the Trek Domane.  Other people seem to have had different experiences and the worst of it is that it really is a great bike to ride for long distances.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #752 on: 06 April, 2016, 01:09:54 pm »
In other happier news:

Tweet from Black Sheep:
"Have you claimed your #FreePint yet @CAMRA_Official? Free pint of #EmberInnsPaleAle in the April What's Brewing! https://t.co/l9DaSedeeH "

White Horse, Great Baddow is my local, not sure about the rest of Essex... looks like the other 2 are in Benfleet & Rayleigh

Suspect it's Black Sheep Bitter in disguise (which I have no problem with ;) )  I've asked them how to claim the free pint....

Apparently in the CAMRA mag:

"CAMRA members: Have you claimed your free pint yet? In the April edition of What's Brewing, there's a free pint of Ember Inns Pale Ale, brewed by Black Sheep! "
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #753 on: 06 April, 2016, 01:12:53 pm »
Not 100% I will be out tonight, it will depend on work etc. but If I do come out do you want me to bring the Punch and the Headset press Ted?

« Reply #754 on: 06 April, 2016, 01:14:42 pm »
Thanks Tippers.

The old bearings are out so all I should need is the press.

If you're not out I can always pop round on the way home.  You would be fine with me knocking your door at 12.30am wouldn't you ?

« Reply #755 on: 06 April, 2016, 01:58:48 pm »
No problem....however, you might need to figure out how to remove the press from your skull  ;D

Since I have never been to the Three Elms I will try to make an effort tonight, I might not be at Spa but I should be able to make it to the pub.

« Reply #756 on: 06 April, 2016, 02:46:41 pm »
I am also caught up in the world of work but aiming to get there eventually.

No 1 son has just informed me that he did not remove his bike from my roof rack which was on his car after our trip to Scotland.  He has subsequently driven bike and roof rack into something solid and low so I may not have a roof rack either even if I do make it on Saturday.

This is the week that keeps on giving.

« Reply #757 on: 06 April, 2016, 03:05:50 pm »
 ;D Kids!

If the bars are OK but the actual bike carrier bit is not you can borrow one (or more) of the carriers from me if you need them. Although I would take all this as a sign!

« Reply #758 on: 06 April, 2016, 03:21:15 pm »
I have another bike rack and another set of bars but his car uses partly the same roof rack feet as mine.  I haven't yet surveyed the damage.

Apparently he was "too busy" to remove said bike during the 4 days we have been home.  It is a long job pressing the three buttons on the points of attachment on a Thule rack and lifting the bike off  :facepalm:

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #759 on: 07 April, 2016, 03:30:57 pm »
At a recent gathering I mentioned a particular picture of OD that I'd constructed a while back, but couldn't find it to show the assembled folks...

Here it is :-

You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #760 on: 07 April, 2016, 03:33:55 pm »
I can't remember what the context was. By context I mean I can't remember what the subject about which the piss was being taken.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #761 on: 07 April, 2016, 03:54:48 pm »
I can't remember what the context was. By context I mean I can't remember what the subject about which the piss was being taken.

Me neither -- both the original context when it was made and the context in which it came up recently are a complete blank.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #762 on: 07 April, 2016, 03:58:12 pm »

Oscar's dad

« Reply #763 on: 07 April, 2016, 05:49:08 pm »
Good to see we were talking bollocks back in 2009.  We've established a rich tradition!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #764 on: 07 April, 2016, 05:57:58 pm »
Found the original --- blame RichForrest :)

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=26475.msg478120#msg478120

In the thread you linked to we mentioned going out the following day.  I've been trying to remember what we were planning to do.   I think it might be the wet Saturday we went NCN signing.   It rained heavily and Dave Haylock asked Wally at The Cats for a spin drier. Those were the days when Wally didn't have a sense of humour.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #765 on: 07 April, 2016, 05:59:27 pm »
I think that was indeed the outing in question.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #766 on: 10 April, 2016, 07:16:03 pm »
The Shark ...

Oh My Goodness!

Andy C33

• Beverage Procurement Officer.
« Reply #767 on: 10 April, 2016, 08:05:23 pm »
Tough?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #768 on: 10 April, 2016, 08:31:17 pm »
Tough?

Mentally as much as physically.

« Reply #769 on: 10 April, 2016, 10:37:14 pm »
Much respect to those who tamed the Shark yesterday.  It ended up being not too bad a day and I was quite jealous.   

My new cautious approach of actually riding my bike before trying a 200 after any major works proved to be the right choice. 

I had a 25k spin yesterday morning. This morning I had a 100 metre spin before deciding that I hadn't been imagining that my bike just wasn't giving enough reward for effort and it couldn't just be the Duranos as i had swapped them out. I went home to have another look instead of joining the club ride. After a bit of investigating I found the problem - a split in the carbon on my drive side chainstay.  Not sure how long it's been there but it's basically broken now. Bit worrying that it was in a dealer workshop last week and they didn't notice anything amiss.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #770 on: 11 April, 2016, 12:23:53 am »
 :o Bugger!  New bike time then? Frame claim?
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #771 on: 11 April, 2016, 09:37:36 am »
Bugger indeed.

Yes, it will certainly mean a new frame.  Hopefully with some assistance from the manufacturer...

Incidentally, I spoke to your Yellow Jersey people in Billericay with a technical query about the new bottom bracket.  That seems like a proper bike shop and they were extremely helpful despite my lack of custom - to date.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #772 on: 11 April, 2016, 09:45:17 am »
You were degreasing the chainstays every time rain washed any chain skog onto them as per the Trek service recommendations1, right?

1.  I may have made these up.

« Reply #773 on: 11 April, 2016, 01:30:38 pm »
....a split in the carbon on my drive side chainstay.

That bike is cursed!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #774 on: 11 April, 2016, 01:34:40 pm »
That bike is now with Cycles UK in Chelmsford.

When I explained about the bottom bracket advice from the other dealer the mechanic laughed and said it was utter tosh.

He was incredulous that they had not spotted something wrong with the chain stay - it is utterly shot and he thinks it probably happened over a period of time rather than on Saturday morning on a 25k test ride.

He then took the cranks off and didn't recognise the bearings I had been sold which, in fairness, looked nothing like the Bontrager bearings he had in stock for BB90.

Anyway, it's out of my hands for now...