Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 517794 times)

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #1200 on: 24 May, 2016, 10:38:22 pm »
A bit more digging about .uk names finds that:-

"At 08:00hrs on 10 June 2014 we launched the new shorter, sharper domain name .uk into our UK domain family. If you are an existing customer and own a unique .co.uk, .org.uk, .me.uk, .net.uk, .plc.uk or .ltd.uk, a .uk domain name may already have been reserved especially for you until 10 June 2019."

So... since apparently acme.co.uk was already registered at that time, acme.uk is reserved for the owner of that domain until 10 June 2019 (put the date in the diary, folks!).

I guess psyclist.uk was available because psyclist.co.uk wasn't registered on 10th June 2014.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #1201 on: 25 May, 2016, 04:35:55 am »
A bit more digging about .uk names

You're right, I didn't quite do enough digging. Sorry about that.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #1202 on: 26 May, 2016, 07:11:12 am »
Good grief!  :o

« Reply #1203 on: 26 May, 2016, 07:41:50 am »
Good grief!  :o

Now you can see the geek driven fun you've been missing  :o
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

« Reply #1204 on: 26 May, 2016, 08:10:00 am »
Tomsk's Wild Ride

OD may have taken credit for the actual route but last night's outing had Tomsk's fingerprints all over it.  80k on a school night with two pit stops, what midsummer madness is this.

It was an early start at Spa with OD, Huggy, Hotblack Desiato, the Hustler and GavinSSN setting off with me in hot pursuit as usual. We made good time to the Compasses where we found Tomsk and his evil grin sitting outside with Sister Carol. We were soon joined for the first time by Psyclist.  Any hopes that the larger than usual group might slow the pace a little were soon dashed, Psyclist only adding experience and speed to the mix.  We proceeded at a moderate pace on our ride over to what GavinSSN called Hatfield not Peveral.  Fortunately it was a great little route and a perfect evening to be awheel.

As we neared our destination OD was excited to see a number of scarecrows dressed up just like him. Somehow this seemed to vindicate his wardrobe rather than diminish it in his eyes.  When we rolled into HNP there was bunting everywhere.  I don't suppose Tomsk visits that often though.

We found second newcomer Bernster at the pub talking to fellow soloist Jiber Jaber. 

At the Cock we sampled Robinson's Beerdo, Butcombe Bitter and Woodforde Wherry.  The Butcombe narrowly took the Quaffer's Choice.  Talk was of audaxes to come, why so many audaxers work in IT and a grown up bit about something or other.

Needless to say the 10.30 curfew came and went and we set off for the long ride home after 11. This was definitely at the upper end of moderately paced with Hotblack and his featherweight Bianchi trying to rip our legs off for long stretches. In fairness he and Sister Carol did ride over 100 miles each yesterday but it didn't seem to affect their speed.

We arrived back at Spa on Thursday after what proved to be a very decent ride.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1205 on: 26 May, 2016, 08:25:06 am »
Good write up ted  :thumbsup:

I asked that you record some important details in your ride report but you missed a couple ...

No mention of the one eyed dog at The Cock that was less than friendly.

And you and I decided that Doggers was on probation given his woeful attendance record as of late. If he doesn't buck his ideas up there will be consequences. For example, we've never scientifically investigated how many pickled eggs a teenager can eat in one sitting  :demon:

« Reply #1206 on: 26 May, 2016, 08:46:09 am »
Cool Hand Doggers ?

I also neglected to mention the lack of pickled eggs for Bernster and Psyclist, the pub being a bit posh for that sort of thing.  They must join us again for a proper induction.

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
« Reply #1207 on: 26 May, 2016, 08:50:10 am »

And you and I decided that Doggers was on probation given his woeful attendance record as of late. If he doesn't buck his ideas up there will be consequences. For example, we've never scientifically investigated how many pickled eggs a teenager can eat in one sitting  :demon:

One small error that Ted forgot to inform you is that I'm an early MEMWNS retiree so you could be waiting a looooooonnnnggggg time to investigate the pickled egg scenario! Unless you pick up some younger recruits in the WC/MEMWNS joint ride next week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #1208 on: 26 May, 2016, 08:50:43 am »
Sounds like a good 'un. Unfortunately I was just too damn tired to come out. A poor excuse I know  :'(
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #1209 on: 26 May, 2016, 09:56:08 am »
One small error that Ted forgot to inform you is that I'm an early MEMWNS retiree s
Retiree?? We've never had one of those and there is no process for it.  Motion denied, there is no checking out of MEMWNS!!
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1210 on: 26 May, 2016, 09:57:35 am »
One small error that Ted forgot to inform you is that I'm an early MEMWNS retiree s
Retiree?? We've never had one of those and there is no process for it.  Motion denied, there is no checking out of MEMWNS!!

"You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave!"

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1211 on: 26 May, 2016, 10:09:22 am »

"You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave!"

I want you all to sit down, assume the brace position as what I am about to tell you is truly shocking.  To be honest I don't know how we're going to deal with this, I'm an emotional wreck and have been so since learning these shocking facts ...

I have this straight from The Teenager's own lips (or their electronic version) ...

Doggers thinks he should retire from the MEMWNS cos on Tuesday evenings he wants to do TTs with MAD and on Thursday evenings he wants to ride with their chaingang.

I told you it was shocking  :o :o :o :o :o

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #1212 on: 26 May, 2016, 10:09:32 am »
An excellent evening awheel  :thumbsup:

This...
...and a grown up bit about something or other.
was in fact a brief discussion followed by vote on acquiring the acme.bike domain
The proposal was immediately endorsed by psyclist and before anyone else had much chance to object it was carried unanimously.
A counter proposal was put forward for acme.cc and acme.cycle but these are respectively already registered and the TLD non-existent.

Therefore, the next question - who wants to register acme.bike on behalf of Audax Club Mid-Essex?
There are sufficient funds in the acme account to reimburse the registrant.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #1213 on: 26 May, 2016, 10:15:22 am »
Doggers thinks he should retire from the MEMWNS cos on Tuesday evenings he wants to do TTs with MAD and on Thursday evenings he wants to ride with their chaingang.
Surely MEMWNS would count as extra training!
Let's just hope we're still here when DL comes to his senses and the prodigal splitter returns to the fold  ;)

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1214 on: 26 May, 2016, 10:19:46 am »
Therefore, the next question - who wants to register acme.bike on behalf of Audax Club Mid-Essex?

Given that I'm holding the other domains, I may as well add acme.bike to the portfolio.  Might even chance namecheap!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1215 on: 26 May, 2016, 04:37:19 pm »
The other thing ted's report of last night failed to mention was 'fangango's rather natty shoes. Whilst I took the pi55 I did think they were very nice. If I needed another pair of bike shoes I'd certainly get a pair. 

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #1216 on: 26 May, 2016, 08:30:23 pm »
When we rolled into HNP there was bunting everywhere.  I don't suppose Tomsk visits that often though.

The world smells of fresh paint, does it not... ;D

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1217 on: 26 May, 2016, 09:02:49 pm »
^^^ That's funny  ;D

« Reply #1218 on: 26 May, 2016, 11:07:24 pm »
When we rolled into HNP there was bunting everywhere.  I don't suppose Tomsk visits that often though.

Do you always need to bring scissors to get through the ribbon that is in the way ?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #1219 on: 27 May, 2016, 07:42:07 am »

Do you always need to bring scissors to get through the ribbon that is in the way ?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I use a gold-plated couteau Suisse.

« Reply #1220 on: 27 May, 2016, 07:43:08 am »
Ah. The rarefied world of audax royalty  :thumbsup:

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1221 on: 27 May, 2016, 11:59:35 am »

Given that I'm holding the other domains, I may as well add acme.bike to the portfolio.  Might even chance namecheap!

BTW - acme.bike has been acquired. It's currently just redirecting to audaxclubmidessex.org.uk, which in turn is just showing a crap "coming soon" page.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #1222 on: 27 May, 2016, 12:14:33 pm »
BTW - acme.bike has been acquired. It's currently just redirecting to audaxclubmidessex.org.uk, which in turn is just showing a crap "coming soon" page.
:thumbsup:

« Reply #1223 on: 27 May, 2016, 12:31:46 pm »
Excellent! I am currently in discussion with the hosting company I use to get a dedicated IP so we can use SSL... hopefully something will be sorted soon so we can get this moving....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #1224 on: 27 May, 2016, 05:44:32 pm »
I can report the 3 elms beer & cider  festival is on and good.... hopefully I'm ok to meet up with huggy in the morning lol....
Regards,

Joergen